Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most street races are roll races. So its all about power and to a lesser extent power to weight. The LS1 will out power any other stock engine in your price range. It will gain power dollar for dollar pretty well.

Theoretically you could be much faster investing into your 5.0. But you have already shown very well how theory and factual results are two very different things.

And that mag exerpt is typical US automotive press trash. If you want to read magazines by people who actually like cars in the US, get Automobile, Grass Roots Motorsports, and Sports Car International. The And mags and Motor trend are a bunch of trend followers who tend to ignore data when making their opinions even when its staring them in the face. I loved that comparo I posted in the general forum where they concluded that the new Z06 has more cargo room, better lap times around a road course, a lower MSRP, more strait line grunt, and great fuel mileage. They then placed it third out of three after the new 997 Turbo and F430.

Difference in acceleration not significant? I'd call what in the real world amounts to a little less than a second of ET and a several MPH trap significant. Unless people think the difference from say a C4 to a C5 Vette is insignificant. Let me put it this way. I was helping a freind tune his AWD 1G DSM. We were on pump gas at about 16PSI. He has a 16G and various other mods. Nothing major. He pulled a brand new GT from a roll. That simply would not have happened had it been an LS1. At that point an LS1 would have demolished that car.

Less Refined? The Mustangs up to 05 were running around on what ammounts to a heavily revised version of a 1978 Fairmont Chassis. You know this. You sit on top of a 99-04. You sit in an F-Body. Try to get into each within a day and you will see what I mean. The Mustang is not at all refined, neither is the LS1, and nobody cares. Its like deciding on a BMW 318 or VW Jetta based on speed.

Just get the damn LS1.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Hey stanger, your car rocks for an older fox so dont let that moron bother you. Who would be a REAL street racer and post the only thing that you dont want anybody to know DEE DE DEEE. He probably works at a petting zoo and drives a Samuri. ANyway good luck with the LS1...thats what I would get if the car is going to be under 10K. Oh, did I mention I ordered my 2.8 Kenne Bell!! Yea I know..its not a TT set up. My money tree wont grow damn it.

YOU BASTARD!!! A 2.8 ?!!?!? HOLY CRAP!!!! Man, I havent even GOT my LS1 yet and you are already making me wish I had somehting else. pffft.

Yeah, I am the only one who can diss my fox Fast it is not, but a piece of crap it is far from.

On another note, I beat my friends turbo civic from a roll the other day. It still needs a tune and hes only pushing 7psi but the car is like 2200# or something stoopid light like that. He built the thing in his livingroom (literally) and its a pile, but damned if it doesnt run and have some good engineering in it! He likes it b/c if he blows it up hes out a couple hundred $$$ and gained more experience. AWESOME!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha take out the tampon and buy a ******* ls1 already!!!!!! On a serious note though I have driven a stock 5-speed gt as well as an auto and both pale in comparison to an ls1 powered vehicle. The 5-speed def is faster than the auto as my best friend has a 2002 auto gt right now and I cant even begin to tell you how slow it feels. Mustang GT's are nice cars but as someone said on the first page you see them damn near everwhere, however a nicely done up f-body is much much more rare these days.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Smahar28 your a tool...go drive your "fantasy camaro" off a ******* bridge...Unit id watch him hes posting in the for sale section and might be trying to scam people...just a heads up
Old 10-20-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
YOU BASTARD!!! A 2.8 ?!!?!? HOLY CRAP!!!! Man, I havent even GOT my LS1 yet and you are already making me wish I had somehting else. pffft.

Yeah, I am the only one who can diss my fox Fast it is not, but a piece of crap it is far from.

On another note, I beat my friends turbo civic from a roll the other day. It still needs a tune and hes only pushing 7psi but the car is like 2200# or something stoopid light like that. He built the thing in his livingroom (literally) and its a pile, but damned if it doesnt run and have some good engineering in it! He likes it b/c if he blows it up hes out a couple hundred $$$ and gained more experience. AWESOME!
Bro, to this day I have had 9 Fox LX coupes and hatches..Id love to have one now! Id actually put my Cobra motor in it..BADASS. You should get an LS1 but your car is still bad! Good kill on the Civic.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

I raced a 98 GT 5 speed with Rims 4.10 gears and an x pipe back exhaust. I took all three 1/4 mile street races and two 30-80 roll races with my 99 LS1 with K&N FIPK Flowmaster Catback and BFG DRs. I believe the closest race was a car and a half from a dig because there was crap stuck to my tires and I spun for about 20 feet before the tires hooked up. Great tires for racing, not so great for rain.
Hope this helps
AJ
Old 10-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Smahar28 your a tool...go drive your "fantasy camaro" off a ******* bridge...Unit id watch him hes posting in the for sale section and might be trying to scam people...just a heads up

Yeah im trying to scam people i just sold my LS6 intake manifold and LS6 cylinder heads too 2 people on LS1 tech. Why don't you ask them if I scam them.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Hey cockbag, if your car looks better than my mustang when it's 20 years old, let me know.
Dont worry about it. It will just give me your e-mail address and ill send you some pics of it in 20 years.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chadtx01
I'm guessing he's 14 years old and his dad has a stock 93 Vette. He'll be driving a 97 2 door accord in a couple years.

Sorry its a 2001 Z06. My winter car is a stock 93 GT mustang though.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
What part of NY you from, Scooter?

Rochester New York
Old 10-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Teching In

I guess these days no one can take a joke anymore. I'm just saying 4.6 mustangs aren't that fast. The only way your seeing a mustang out run a SS, Transam or Z06 is with a lot of money into the car. I raced a full bolt on 2003 full bolt on Heads, cam, Long tube headers etc 4.6 mustang with my STOCK Z06 on the way home from picking it up at the dealership. From a 1st gear roll going 5 mph he launched a head me by a half car length. I got the car in 3rd gear and went by him like he was standing still. I have respect for mustangs don't get me wrong but the 4.6 GT Mustang aren't worth getting if you want the car to go fast. If you are buying a Mustang because of cost then go for it. Now 03 & 04 cobra are decent cars but the cost is much greater and the car needs a supercharger to beat a stock SS or transam??? come on now. Put a supercharger on a LS1 car and watch what happens you would blow the doors off them. I have also raced a 1989 5.0 mustang with a 408 stroker in it with my Stock Z06 and beat that by 2 car length's. Mustang's can be fast don't get me wrong there is a bunch at the track which have a ton of work done too them. I'm just not a big mustang fan bottom line I respect your cars but i think you would be better off going with a F-body that's my opion. If someone wants to race im all for that just dont bring your undriveable RACE CAR like that pee yellow one because its a RACE CAR not streetable. My car is a daily driver and i would be more than happy to spank some junk stangs any day=). Please prove to me how fast your mustang really is.

Your's truly the 4 liter Eater
Old 10-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Banned

My friend has an 86 5.0 and runs low 12's in it. Its still a 302. Just an example of how a 302 5.0 could still roll on your Z.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Still waiting for that slip...

It should look something like this:

1.6 60'
6.40 1/8th ET
108 1/8th mph
10.40 1/4 ET
138 1/4 mph
Old 10-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by unit213
Still waiting for that slip...

It should look something like this:

1.6 60'
6.40 1/8th ET
108 1/8th mph
10.40 1/4 ET
138 1/4 mph

I have a lot of respect for you UNIT, but I dont think even YOU could find a timeslip JUST like that with only a day's time hunting on the internet. Give him another day to pirate one.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SMahar28
I guess these days no one can take a joke anymore. I'm just saying 4.6 mustangs aren't that fast. The only way your seeing a mustang out run a SS, Transam or Z06 is with a lot of money into the car.
Do you know the difference between the two 4.6 mod motors Ford produced from 96-04? One was a 2v SOHC that was in the GT and the other was a 4v DOHC that was in the Cobra & Mach 1. Through the years, Ford kept making them better and better each year by making different changes and what not. There is a difference you know. Yeah, they both have the same displacement (281 ci, 4.6L), but one engine has double the valves and double the cams. It doesn't take a lot of money to make a 4v 4.6 go fast, but a 2v 4.6 is a different story. You need to learn your Mustangs first before you go and talk **** about them like you know what they are.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------

No reply? I'm curious to see your 138mph time slip.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
Do you know the difference between the two 4.6 mod motors Ford produced from 96-04? One was a 2v SOHC that was in the GT and the other was a 4v DOHC that was in the Cobra & Mach 1. Through the years, Ford kept making them better and better each year by making different changes and what not. There is a difference you know. Yeah, they both have the same displacement (281 ci, 4.6L), but one engine has double the valves and double the cams. It doesn't take a lot of money to make a 4v 4.6 go fast, but a 2v 4.6 is a different story. You need to learn your Mustangs first before you go and talk **** about them like you know what they are.
actually the 99+ motors were the PI motors which are quicker than the 96-98 4.6s

2v motors can be quick and they can fly when properly done right
Old 10-20-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDP
actually the 99+ motors were the PI motors which are quicker than the 96-98 4.6s

2v motors can be quick and they can fly when properly done right
That's why I said: "Through the years, Ford kept making them better and better each year by making different changes and what not." I know the 96-98 wasn't as great as the 99+ in stock form.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Teching In

I realize that. Keep in mind that even to keep up with an LS1 car from the factory it needs a supercharger. That was what I meant. As far regular 4.6 GT's, forget it. Start spending your money.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z

This is getting really old. Anyone who has an F-Body or vette should know the difference between the 2v and 4v. I do, and let me give you an example of why it doesnt matter. I have raced many 2v GT's from 99-04. They lost as they usually do. One of my good friends here in town has a NON-S/C cobra with a 4.6 4v in it. Guess what?? I killed that thing when my car was ALL stock minus a set of Long Tubes and a lid. NOTHING else. This is what you all need to understand. A regular 2v or a 4v non S/C GT is not even a match for an LS1 car from the factory. Mod for Mod, the LS1 will come out on top every time. Cam a mustang. Then race a cammed LS1. We all know what will happen. I dont understand why you pony boys dont get it. 4.6's cannot hang with an LS1 car from the factory. Even when they have a bunch of bolt ons they still cant beat a stock LS1 car with minimal if any bolt ons. Gimme a break. You are going anywhere from 14.2-14.6 that I have seen with a stock 99-04 GT. A stock LS1 is usually good for 13.4-13.7 from the factory, depending on cofiguration and model. We are talking almost a full second. If your stock 4.6 GT wishes to compete, get ready to spend money. I am not trying to be a dick, nor do I lack respect for mustangs. Alot of my buddies have them, and even though I would never buy one, I do like them. They ALWAYS sound good, even from the factory. They look real nice with wheels and custom paint, etc. They draw all kinds of attention if done right. They just cant compete with an LS1 car from the factory unless you want to spend lots of money. Buy a cobra, different story, but then that isnt a regular non s/c mustang is it? I dont think so. Anyone who thinks different post a reply to this. Here is what I am saying: Stock vs Stock=forget it. Mod vs mod forget it. Say you H/C/I both. the LS1 will win, providing cam and heads are relatively the same for lift, flow, etc. Now, put a twin turbo or a Keene Bell setup on a 4.6, you are talking major results. There is a Keene Bell mustang here in town that is SICK. Easily would beat mine. I know that. All I am saying is it takes a decent amount of money in a 4.6 2v GT to even keep up with a stock LS1. Cobras are different, but then again they are supercharged from the factory. Without the supercharger, they couldnt beat a stock LS1 car either. Smahar is right in alot of ways, but he is also wrong in some. Thats all I am trying to say. Anyone who has a stock 2v GT that thinks it can beat a stock LS1 car is stupid, and believe me, this area is full of them. I have raced modded mustangs, and beat them too. Eventually I know I will find one that beats me. I am actually looking forward to it, as this has yet to happen in this area. Also, lets keep in mind that usually young kids whose parents have bought them a newer GT think they are the fastest things in the world, and thats where alot of the animocity I have towards them comes from. Sorry if I sounded like a dick last time around.

Last edited by kevinb1998; 10-20-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 kills on 4.6L 99+ mustangs!!!