Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

STI Vs Z28 (LT1)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006 | 11:01 PM
Launching!

Default STI Vs Z28 (LT1)

It's around 11:00 at night and im about to head home. Im sitting at the light when i see these nice lights from a distance. As they get closer, i hear the BOV and i said to myself: oh man, here we go. (lol) He pulls up next to me and it's an STI. I have my BFG DR's on the back, so i figure i wouldn't get smoked that bad from a dig.

The light turns and he doesn't jump on it. Im a little disapointed and just start driving normal. Then, he hits it by me and makes the BOV go off right by my door. (We all know that is a disguised racer taunt) So, i get up next to him and right as i do he takes off. I hit it as soon as i could, but i have an A4 and he got a huge jump. Although, as soon as i hit it, he let off...

So now im confused, but determined to race. He makes a left and i follow. On the turn he floors it and takes off. Z28's don't turn horrible, but i don't like flooring it when im turning...(I guess im not as fortunate to have 4wd)

Now, the real race. We get a light and no one is around. When the light goes green he rolls a little bit up to about 15mph then stomps on it. I hit it at about the same time and it was even in 1st, then once he shifted i started pulling, once he started spooling in 2nd, he kept up a little more, then i started pulling harder when he shifted again. I had about a car length on him by 55ish. (Maybe a bit faster, but i didn't get out of 2nd) I think he let off right as he shifted into 3rd. I think would have kept pulling, but he let off. I noticed his gears were short, especially first.

I noticed first gear was fast. When he was on top of first gear, it looked like he was pulling for a sec, then he had to shift. After that, it pretty much ended. Seems like a good 1/8 mile car.

After the race, i gave him a thumb up and he did the same. I asked him what he had done and he said full bolt ons. I asked him what year it was an he said 04. Then, i asked him how much boost. He said only 16 and that he ran low 8's in the 1/8. So, how did the LT1 do? I know nothing about STI's, so im not sure if this race makes sense. His car sounded damn good though. I have an A4 LT1 with LT headers, Matching Y-pipe, CAI, 160' thermostat, LT4 KM and a tune.

Sorry about the long post. If you don't want to read BS. Just read from "Now, the real race."

Last edited by Z 2 8; 10-30-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2006 | 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Nice kill. I dont know anything about STI's so i cant help you there
Old 10-30-2006 | 08:10 AM
uno
On The Tree

good run. If he would have launched it from a dig, you all would have probably wound up even at 55 instead of you being a car ahead. Nonetheless nice kill.
Old 10-30-2006 | 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

From a dead stop usually they will eat your lunch but if they don't get off the line well that advantage just goes away.. with your mods you easily had him in the MPH department so it makes sense. Good Run.. I always seem to find modded ones around here
Old 10-30-2006 | 10:03 AM
Teching In

mild modded sti's/evo's should be running good 13's at the track depending on the sea level. if he had it boost controlled at 16psi he was running with a shitty tune. did he say anything about a tune.....16 psi on that stock turbo sounds like alot so he was at his or close to his peak power so i dont know why he said he WAS ONLY RUNNIG 16PSI....ANYWAY NICE KILL!!!! hahahha sometimes you get a good one like that, i raced an 06 evo 9 running 23 lbboost and aw dynod at 435hp 4?? (cant remember tq) but he got skunked from 0-90 by car lenths hahahah he blamed it on his tune and the fact that he had short gears...hahhahaha
Old 10-30-2006 | 10:37 AM
Launching!

He said that he ran low 8's in the 1/8.

He didn't say anything about a tune either. We talked really quick. Also, i forgot to mention. Before we raced, he kept driving passed me and letting off and sometimes fire came out of his exhaust. It looked and sounded awesome, lol.
Old 10-30-2006 | 02:12 PM
uno
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z 2 8
He said that he ran low 8's in the 1/8.

He didn't say anything about a tune either. We talked really quick. Also, i forgot to mention. Before we raced, he kept driving passed me and letting off and sometimes fire came out of his exhaust. It looked and sounded awesome, lol.
catless downpipe and probably turbo back exhaust

Trending Topics

Old 10-30-2006 | 03:58 PM
Launching!

What should this STI be running in the 1/4? Low 13's i assume...
Old 10-30-2006 | 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Well IMO the guy in the STi doesnt know how to drive, im not calling BS on the story, in fact I totally believe you. reason I say anything is from esperience. I used to have an Evo and one of my best friends has an STi with a few bolts ons and in no way would an LT1 stay close to either of those cars even from a roll. My Evo had the full exhaust, tune, cams, lightweight flywheel and ran about 21 psi and on the freeway I could pull SS's, WS6's and even a stock Cobra couldnt catch me. With full bolt ons if the guy in the STi could drive he should easily be running mid 12's. I actually ran an older Camaro one time in my Evo with a 383, cams, exhaust etc (he was on street tires) but 1/4 mile I had him by 2-3 cars, he should have beat me, but it comes down to the driver. Heres another example, when my Cobra was at 404 whp (intake and exhaust) I ran my buddies STi and he beat me 1/4 mile by about a car. Granted it was my first race with my Cobra at the time but still if driven properly STi's are quick even from a roll. Anyways just my 02 cents.
Old 10-30-2006 | 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've beaten a slightly modded '06 Evo from a roll before, but i'm not sure if that helps at all...
Old 10-30-2006 | 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I don't know what year evo it was, or what mods, but I dominated(5+ lengths) it from a roll
Old 10-30-2006 | 11:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Well IMO the guy in the STi doesnt know how to drive, im not calling BS on the story, in fact I totally believe you. reason I say anything is from esperience. I used to have an Evo and one of my best friends has an STi with a few bolts ons and in no way would an LT1 stay close to either of those cars even from a roll. My Evo had the full exhaust, tune, cams, lightweight flywheel and ran about 21 psi and on the freeway I could pull SS's, WS6's and even a stock Cobra couldnt catch me. With full bolt ons if the guy in the STi could drive he should easily be running mid 12's. I actually ran an older Camaro one time in my Evo with a 383, cams, exhaust etc (he was on street tires) but 1/4 mile I had him by 2-3 cars, he should have beat me, but it comes down to the driver. Heres another example, when my Cobra was at 404 whp (intake and exhaust) I ran my buddies STi and he beat me 1/4 mile by about a car. Granted it was my first race with my Cobra at the time but still if driven properly STi's are quick even from a roll. Anyways just my 02 cents.
I know your not calling BS and im not trying to fight with you. But, i think your a little off. An LT1 with LT's isn't a bad match up for an STI. They generally don't trap over 100MPH in the 1/4 stock. That is right around stock LT1 territory. Sure, the STI will run a better 1/4 due to pulling 1.8 60's coming off the line hard with AWD. But, on the street without that launch is a big disadvantage.

You can't compare your evo to this STI. You had more mods than this guy and we don't even know what was done to that LT1.

I heard him bang 1-3 and he wasn't shifting slow. It would also be pretty hard to shift those cars too early since they get out of gear so quick, so that takes out the bad driver part. Also, with his mods. I can't see him trapping much more over stock. He would also have to be a pretty good driver to run low 8's...

I also ran an 8.4 in the 1/8 with a 1.989 60'. The car could do better...That was without my BFG DR's that i have now.
Old 10-31-2006 | 01:28 AM
DSS
Staging Lane

a sti with 1700 bucks worth of mods including tuninng can hit low 12s if the driver can drive.

my sti
read post 27 ull see my car
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=sti

Last edited by DSS; 10-31-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2006 | 05:47 AM
TECH Resident

STI's come stock witn 4.90 gears... im not calling bs either, but STI's are very quick even stock. With full bolt ons and a tune he should be well into the 12's. My friend has an STI and he had a header, downpipe, CAI and stock catback (parents made him put the stock catback back on cause of a ticket...) And he ran 13.0 flat in the 1/4. so with a few more bolt ons and a tune and boost controller he should be way into the 12's... He was def a bad driver...
Old 10-31-2006 | 10:33 AM
Launching!

He probably didn't have a tune, like i said. Which would make sense that his trap speed would be lower than mine. This was a roll race, 1/4 times don't really matter. You can run a 12.7 @ 103 with a 60' an STI can achieve.
Old 10-31-2006 | 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Im not gonna argue with you since I never really looked into STi's all I know is its compareable to an Evo and stock Evo's trap over 100mph, I believe the new Evo 9's are trapping 104+ or something like that (dont pay too much attention now that I dont have one) with a few mods Evo's and Sti' should be trapping 107-110.
Old 10-31-2006 | 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Well apparently my friend with the STI and with his mods beat a 03 zo6 from a 60 or 70 roll by a car and a half... i dont believe him quite yet unless the zo6 driver sucked *****...
Old 10-31-2006 | 11:03 PM
Launching!

these cars can be very fast. with the advantage of AWD, they can launch off the line and cut awesome 60', but they tend to loose power through the next gears, so if you get burned off the line dont be discouraged because you can come back.
Old 10-31-2006 | 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

I agree you can come back if your racing a short enough distance, but if they get you good off the line you may not catch them by the 1/4 mile mark. With my mods on my Evo, turboback, reflash, cams, valvesprings, retainers, and lighweight flywheel I would run our Z06 from a roll and if the Z would spin 1 bit it wasnt catching me until 120mph which was the top of 4th in the Evo. People underestimate them from a roll because their awd. I took my Evo up to 165mph with room to go, I still had 1200 rpm left before redline. I know it would have hit 170, it was still pulling pretty good, so definitely not a slouch up top.
Old 11-01-2006 | 09:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
I agree you can come back if your racing a short enough distance, but if they get you good off the line you may not catch them by the 1/4 mile mark. With my mods on my Evo, turboback, reflash, cams, valvesprings, retainers, and lighweight flywheel I would run our Z06 from a roll and if the Z would spin 1 bit it wasnt catching me until 120mph which was the top of 4th in the Evo. People underestimate them from a roll because their awd. I took my Evo up to 165mph with room to go, I still had 1200 rpm left before redline. I know it would have hit 170, it was still pulling pretty good, so definitely not a slouch up top.
I agree with you 100%. The only thing is that you had more mods than this STI that i ran. I doubt he had cams, valve springs, retainers, or a lightweight flywheel. I think those mods helped out a lot and i believe that your evo was fast from a roll with that being done.

Stock, i know STI's struggle to run over 100. Sure, i know some have. But, im going by average.

Quick Reply: STI Vs Z28 (LT1)