Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Street Racers arrested and cars to be sold

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind that the folks got arrested or cars impounded. We all know the risks we take.

However, all the cars were in a parking lot. So, the question is...did they get done racing, then arrested? Or, did they get arrested and cars impounded before the act of racing? If they were just hanging out in a parking lot, and the business owner allows people to be in the parking lot, how can they arrest the kids and take the cars? If they can do that just because we talk of street racing, that is not a good sign for ANY OF US.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1999 SS
the police do make out $$ with these stings because a portion of the fines and whatever money comes out of the court case that follows does make its way back into the police dept budget. all the cops that were involved in that sting and all the survailence and overtime that was probably put in because it was obviously done at night had to be paid and they surely wouldnt have done it if they couldnt have recouped their expense which comes at the end of the fiscal year when they have to produce a report showing were the money went and why their asking for more this year and everyyear its more and more money whether crime goes up or down. if crime goes down like it has been for the last ten years the police will still spend all their money so they can ask for more for the next year so they will always find a way to get spend it so they have to make sure their is gonna be some rolling in. im not blaming the cop on the street but its the ones higher up and in the beuacracy above and the local city and state level that recognize that its not about justice its about buisness.
instead of funding a program to educate kids on the dangers of street racing or help setup an organization to fund a local track to keap kids off the street on friday and saturday nights and keap them from getting high or killing someone street racing or getting into fights and gangs they think that that couple thousand dollars spent on that one sting was better spent paying those officers to arrest those kids and impound those cars(that if the do goto action the money will go into an account for the police dept use).

i never ment that the cops should ignore street racing and focus on other problems but they spent alot of money and resources to arrest a bunch of kids on misdomeanors that a desent lawyer will get knocked down to lesser violations and get there cars back after paying giant fines and impound fees. these resources they could have spent on other "real" problems like some of the ones i mentioned before but my theory is that their probably isnt that big of a crime problem in that area and the police needed to spend some of that buget money so they can ask for more next year and invited along the press to show the the public what a good job their doing so if the money isnt available they can ask the city for a tax/milage increase so they can get their money.
its a buisness its not about justice because if it was about justice and doing the right thing for everyone they would educate the little ******* like they did when i was a kid about suicide and teen pregnancy and now both those one time big problems are the lowest since the mid sixties.
I'm not seeing your point. Your upsest because the police are doing their job? Whether its writing an exhaust violation or taking down a drug dealer, its still their job. You can't argue that.

Originally Posted by 1999 SS
i never ment that the cops should ignore street racing and focus on other problems
Thats exactly what you are saying here:

Originally Posted by 1999SS
these resources they could have spent on other "real" problems like some of the ones i mentioned before
Street racing in that area IS a "real" problem, trust me. It was getting out of hand and the police acted. They set an example. It wouldn't have been long before someone got seriously injured or killed. Once that happened, everyone would have been bitching about the police not doing their job. No matter what, the cops look bad. In the NC DMV drivers manual, it has a whole section on street racing and the consequences. It clearly gives all the scenarios in which you can lose your car permanently. These questions are on the test.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MGorman
That’s good. So where do you draw the line?
That's easy. Don't race another vehicle on a public street. If someone revs at you then ignore them.

I agree that street racing is dangerous and irresponsible because it involves speeding.
This is where a lot of people get confused. It's not just speeding. When you are in a direct contest with another car you use up two lanes or more. And one or both participants will almost always substitute good judgement for thier F'n pride. I've seen way too many morons using the emergency lane to pass an oncoming car just to continue racing moron number 2. What happens if someone were to see them coming and decide to get to the emergency lane at the same time thinking this will avoid an accident.

I've almost been hit twice in the last year alone by idiots like that racing on the highway.

I guess your car should be confiscated if you’re caught speeding. If you’re exceeding the speed limit you’re a menace.
Don't even try that BS. You know just as well as I do that "MOST" street races don't end any sooner then 100 mph. Many of them go beyond 120. So this isn't like doing 75 in a 65 or 50 in a 40.

Lets confiscate your car and make the world a safer place. I guess there’s really no need for any street car to be able to exceed 75 mph. That seems to be the direction in which we’re headed.
There are legal places to race. There are road courses, drag strips and you can always move to Germany

If it were up to me I wouldn't confiscate the car on the first offense. But I have no problem agreeing with that on a second offense. There is a reason that street racing is illegal. It kills and injures far too many people every year. The law isn't around to hassle you or make your life "boring". It's around to protect you, protect me and protect our families.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
I don't mind that the folks got arrested or cars impounded. We all know the risks we take.

However, all the cars were in a parking lot. So, the question is...did they get done racing, then arrested? Or, did they get arrested and cars impounded before the act of racing? If they were just hanging out in a parking lot, and the business owner allows people to be in the parking lot, how can they arrest the kids and take the cars? If they can do that just because we talk of street racing, that is not a good sign for ANY OF US.

Anyone know?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
Street racing in that area IS a "real" problem, trust me. It was getting out of hand and the police acted. They set an example. It wouldn't have been long before someone got seriously injured or killed. Once that happened, everyone would have been bitching about the police not doing their job. No matter what, the cops look bad. In the NC DMV drivers manual, it has a whole section on street racing and the consequences. It clearly gives all the scenarios in which you can lose your car permanently. These questions are on the test.
Agreed. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't. But the big difference IMO is that these kids have to be "alive" in order to bitch about the penalties. I'd rather see the cops do thier jobs then see the hospitals and coroner doing it.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
A lot of people in this thread are pussies.

what I mean by calling you a ***** is that you are afraid to take risks . sure some risks are unnecessary, but for some people , it gives them a thrill, a flavor in life!
So the pussies are the ones driving their cars, and the guys that are too cool for anyone, and risk takers are the fools in the back of a police car.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone know?
This sounded like a sting operation to me. I would imagine they recorded at least one race to present as evidence in court before moving in for arrests. I mean why would they go through all that time and expense just to watch it all get thrown out of court?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only one I feel bad for is the fox body, looks kinda clean.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

NC is pretty strict on its driving laws. The street racing and speed competition section is pretty clear. If you are caught engaging in a speed competition there are pretty serious consequences as seen. Even the people in the parking lots are considered part of it. If people are constantly meeting up in a specific spot, then going out and racing, everyone is part of it. It's very illegal to be involved in a pre-arranged race, even if you aren't the one racing. Just remember that. If your hanging out in a parking lot minding your own business, and people are constantly meeting up in that same spot for the reason of racing, your right in the middle of it. I'm willing to bet those people were being watched for a while. I'm sure research was done. It's likely undercover cops kept an eye on things, and saw all the racing that was going on. They probably made notes of the regulars that show up and race. Just because most of the people busted weren't actually racing that night, doesn't mean they are "innocent".
Old 11-08-2006, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darrensls1
If it were up to me I wouldn't confiscate the car on the first offense. But I have no problem agreeing with that on a second offense. There is a reason that street racing is illegal. It kills and injures far too many people every year. The law isn't around to hassle you or make your life "boring". It's around to protect you, protect me and protect our families.
We’re not THAT far apart.

I’m not defending the morons that race on crowded highways and weave in and out of traffic. They **** me off. Throw the book at them. I believe however that it is unjust and arbitrary to confiscate their vehicles. I really don’t see it as a big leap to confiscate vehicles for speeding. There are plenty of other dangerous driving behaviors that rank well above street racing as far as fatalities. DUI comes to mind. How about “distracted” driving? I’m willing to bet that infinitely more people are killed in accidents caused by cell phone usage than are killed in street racing accidents. Has anyone ever had their car confiscated because they were pulled over for talking on their cell phone? Where are the laws to protect us against this??

How many deaths are attributed to street racing each year? 100? 200? I read a funny statistic that said more people are killed each year by falling coconuts than street racing accidents. While every death is a tragedy, I think there are much larger safety issues which need to be addressed. I guess it just makes for better press to go after the “outlaw street racers” instead of the real menace the teenage cell phone user or the 70 mph makeup applier.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 325trooper
Noooooo! They be haulin' my VTEC away yo!
aaahhhahhahahahhah
Old 11-08-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Two more were arrested yesterday in connection to this. So it looks like all the arrest and impound were preplanned based on gatherd evidence.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

So if I go out into public and wave my gun around and fire off a few shots, shouldn't that gun be taken away from me? Yes, because I was using it in a reckless way. It's the same thing. The way some of those guys race is so dangerous you couldn't imagine. Being able to drive is not a right, its a privelage. If you don't agree, just ask the DMV. Would you feel differently about this if your wife/gf/child/friend/family got killed by one of these guys doing "165mph"?
gun and vehicle is two different thing. i dont see the fair comparison. itz like me goin around ****** every chick, shouldnt my dick be cut off? see the point? some ppl need their vehicles everyday to live. not guns.

i agree that they should be charged with heavy tickets/fine etc but their vehicles shouldnt be towed/impounded or auctioned off. how would you feel if you only violated some traffic law and your vettes gets auctioned off.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimmy169
165mph?? You think those acura's and civic's and even that mustang can do 165mph? That's not street racing that's reckless driving, i mean I know street racing is prob considered reckless driving too but seriously if your doing a true drag race why would u need to get up to 165mph, realistically speaking, and how long do you think you'd hold it there for. Your not thinking of true street racing your thinking of those bs movies and game's where people cut cars off and go in and out of traffic trying to maintain a high speed, that's NOT street racing...

I remember seeing a retarded documentury on tv about street racing and how they showed a picture of a civic saying they modify these things to reach in access of 200+mph...this was on the news, where i used to think they stated facts...are you ******* kidding me, you believe this kind of bullshit??

"Their cars, some valued at up to $40,000, likely will be sold at a public auction, police said."

And someone please show me a car there that's valued up to $40,000 dollars... They'd be lucky to get 6-8 grand for most of those, and I mean real lucky.
true... the only value that matters is what blue book says... sadly...
Old 11-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

all i kno is that they cant just TAKE ur car... that is unless they're holding it as evidence.

otherwise, u have the pay lame *** impound fees :-(
Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

i believe the report said that they had been watching em for a bit. prob had enough vid proof to rain on their parade.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

HEY!!!

coconuts are dangerous... i read that stat somewhere too. its like the number one killer somewhere!!! wth? insanely hilarious!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

We’re not THAT far apart.
I'm not so sure about that but we'll see.

I’m not defending the morons that race on crowded highways and weave in and out of traffic. They **** me off. Throw the book at them. I believe however that it is unjust and arbitrary to confiscate their vehicles.
On a first offense I agree. Second or more offenses then I disagree. You can't race what you no longer have. Or how about we just stop selling the cars and make a second offense automatic 6 months in jail. No Plea bargains, no weekend only sentenses but six straight months in jail. Then make a third offense 1 year in prison.

Would that make you happier?

I really don’t see it as a big leap to confiscate vehicles for speeding.
I do. That one would never pass congress since most of those guys speed a little too

The difference is Street racing is a crime and speeding (unless it's beyond 30 over) is a traffic violation. Two totally different things in the eyes of a court.

There are plenty of other dangerous driving behaviors that rank well above street racing as far as fatalities. DUI comes to mind. How about “distracted” driving? I’m willing to bet that infinitely more people are killed in accidents caused by cell phone usage than are killed in street racing accidents.
DUI is also a crime that kills way too many people. I say lets sell thier cars or give them the same 6 months in jail scenario I mentioned above. I'm all for that one too.

Cell phones is a little trickier of a situation. Most street races that end in a crash are at high rates of speed and very often result in serious injury or death. Now I havn't checked the statistics but I would think a lot of cell phone accidents are caused within city limits and in cases of vehicles moving 45 mph or less. Statistically I wouldn't think your chances of surviving a cell phone accident are far greater then surviving a street racing accident.

Has anyone ever had their car confiscated because they were pulled over for talking on their cell phone? Where are the laws to protect us against this??
Not that I am aware of. But there are laws against this. I saw a lady get pulled over just yesterday for talking on a cell phone here in NY. As of now it's just a traffic violation but in the future who knows?

Hands free cell phones are legal though and it is possible to hold a conversation and still pay attention to the road. After all we do have radios and sometimes talk to passengers while we drive. Should we ban those too?

How many deaths are attributed to street racing each year? 100? 200? I read a funny statistic that said more people are killed each year by falling coconuts than street racing accidents. While every death is a tragedy, I think there are much larger safety issues which need to be addressed. I guess it just makes for better press to go after the “outlaw street racers” instead of the real menace the teenage cell phone user or the 70 mph makeup applier.
You'd have to link me that because I just don't believe falling coconuts kill more people then street racing accidents. But stranger things have happened

One street racing death is one too many so I really don't care what the numbers are. One DUI related death is one too many. One makeup applier death is one too many and so on and so on.

But that doesn't mean we should ignore it. Maybe the answer isn't letting street racers get off with a slap on the wrist but rather to stiffin up the penalties for non-hand free cell phones and makeup users/shavers who get caught. I could support that too. If it saves lives then why not?

Then you can tell those people, "don't do the crime if you can't do the time".
Old 11-08-2006, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=Xtremes10]Correct, it was EXTREAM! that is precisly why you got your ticket. There is NO law against braking in any lane. Secondly, I would LOVE to see how much of a ***** you turn into when you take your risk to do 100+ mph and hit into another car and kill a mom and her kid, lets see how

You are a prime example of what I meant in my reply.

You aksed me What if you hit a mom and a kid? No. dont tell me what if! Because it didnt happen, so quit being a ***** and saying what if?! there is a difference in the way we think.

Yes, there is no law against braking, but there is a law against speeding. BUT I guess you payed no special attention to my post. Their braking was more of a hazard, because all of us almost crashed( we all screeched our tires, because it was a harsh brake, but then we all speed back up?!), for someone probably not paying attention. Vs me speeding into an open lane, that presented no Hazard at all.

Remember use logic when you think. dont go by everything by the book. anyone that thinks clearly would CLEARLY see that what I did was less of a Hazard.

Learn to pay attention to what I said, so you wont talk like such a narrow minded person.

Last edited by LSGunZ28; 11-08-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

So the pussies are the ones driving their cars, and the guys that are too cool for anyone, and risk takers are the fools in the back of a police car.
No pussies are people that dont take risks.

There is something that really angers me in this country:

People refer to safe drivers as good drivers. and they have no absolute connection at all.

No a good driver is a person that will slip on a puddle of oil at 80 mph and spin out and bring that car back to a correct position to drive. whereas a safe driver would probably be a person that slips and hits the brakes and loses control and hits the wall.

People that are in the back of police cars are probably doing something stupid when they get in trouble. HOWEVER as my first post on page 5 stated. This isnt always true and the laws are sometimes a bit too conservative. The problem isnt street racers (sometimes), the problem just may be ***** drivers that fear for their life, because of street racers. and the problem is people that brake on a 25ft wide open road when someone is going out of their driveway, because they dont know how to se a tsteering wheel and keep their same pace. etc...

Quick Reply: Street Racers arrested and cars to be sold