Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Anyone ever race an NSX??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula_X

IMO, they're hideous and completely uninspired. they look like a cross between a corvette and a 3000GT gone horribly wrong. booorrrring.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's beautiful...

My buddies 05 NSX was white and my 04 Vette was white. We would often go places together and park side by side.

it was always the same. people asking him questions and taking pics for 5 minutes...then as they were about to leave they might throw me the nice vette bone..

An NSX looks much nicer than a c5 when you actually see them side by side. it looks lower..wider and more exotic. ESPECIALLY the way the seats look when you look at them through the front windshield...

Now the one time we took the NSX and the viper out it was a little different. On this particular night the viper got the most questions....

the point is..that a NSX will make a fbody/vette dissapear when parked side by side
Old 03-19-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not mine
Old 03-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Killemall

My buddies 05 NSX was white and my 04 Vette was white. We would often go places together and park side by side.

it was always the same. people asking him questions and taking pics for 5 minutes...then as they were about to leave they might throw me the nice vette bone..

An NSX looks much nicer than a c5 when you actually see them side by side. it looks lower..wider and more exotic. ESPECIALLY the way the seats look when you look at them through the front windshield...

Now the one time we took the NSX and the viper out it was a little different. On this particular night the viper got the most questions....

the point is..that a NSX will make a fbody/vette dissapear when parked side by side
+1. I saw one up-close and in person and it looked great, it did have the shittiest sounding engine note I ever heard, it had the "rattle" of an M3 with the pitch of an S2000. HORRID COMBINATION! I was not a fan (all stock too, it was a '92)
Old 03-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Resident

and when they race, the fbody/vette will make the NSX disappear in the rearview mirror.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hell in my car most of my life is spent explaining what all I have done or what kind of car it is whenever I park!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FoxNotch
Ok, well then by your logic, he can afford an nsx, but not a lambo, ferrari, 911turbo, etc. He couldn't afford the aformentioned cars, so he bought an NSX, glad to see you agree with us.
lol

its not like most nsx owners have the second generation nsx.

most of them have the first gen nsx which cost about 30k. some owners do headlight conversion.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That comment is like saying that all fbody guys got a camaro because they couldnt afford a vette. They bought it cause Fbody's are bada$$. same holds true for the NSX
i bought my camaro because i couldnt afford the vette i wanted....
Old 03-19-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by germeezy1
this one it definitely wasn't stock because there not even remotely fast stock.
Some NSX's are pretty fast.

Remember they where originally launched back in the early 90's with I think 2 different engine specs. These are not that fast by todays standards, but in 1991 would have pissed all over stock Fbody's and Mustangs of the same era.

Over the years the NSX has evidently been thru many guises. Sure they may not be the fastest thing ever but they are not slow, not unless you count stock Ls1's slow anyhow.

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

This car surprised us all. Like the Porsche, Acura's sports car is set up more for decreasing radius turns than a dragstrip. In fact, it has the lowest horsepower rating in this test: 290 hp. Still, it finished ahead of more powerful machines because of its light weight and meticulous engineering.

The Acura's light weight comes from the use of aluminum in its structure, suspension and body. Our featherweight test car wasn't even the lightest available NSX model, the hardtop. We tested an NSX-T, the heaviest of the breed.

The meticulous engineering starts with that use of aluminum, and continues with the incredible refinement of this car's drivetrain. We were very surprised that the midengine NSX doesn't suffer from any wheelhop, which we attribute to its Torque Reactive Differential. It uses a multiplate clutch and helical-type planetary gears to keep each rear wheel spinning at the same speed. Getting this sports car off the line with plenty of rpm is no problem.

And boy, does this car like plenty of rpm. Its aluminum V6 engine, which features titanium connecting rods, redlines at 8000 rpm and really gives the driver a kick in the pants at 5800 rpm. That's when the Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control system (VTEC) engages the more radical camshaft lobes, and the exhaust note goes from subdued to extreme dude. Only the Ferrari does a better audio imitation of a Formula One car.

Rowing quickly through its transmission is a pleasure. The Acura's shifter is tight and direct. But like the Porsche, getting rubber on the gear changes with all that weight over the rear tires is impossible.

Test Summary:
Acura NSX

Base price: $88,000, Price as tested: $88,745
Engine: 3.2-liter/194.0 cu.-in. DOHC 24v V6
HP: 290 @ 7100 rpm, Torque: 224 ft.-lb. @ 5500 rpm
Trans: 4A, Drivetrain: midengine/rear drive
Final drive: 4.62:1 w/electronic traction control
Curb weight: 3160 lb, Weight/HP ratio: 10.9
HP/liter: 90.6, Tires: f: 215/45ZR16, r: 245/40ZR17
Acceleration: 0-30 mph: 1.94 sec. 0-60 mph: 4.97 sec.
1/4 mile: 13.17 sec. @ 107.65 mph

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...6.html?page=10

The later NSX (without the popup headlights) are substantially faster, not far off a C6 Corvette.

Autocar Magazine clocked the latter NSX 0-100mph in 10.6 seconds and the C6 z1 Corvette at 9.9 seconds.

Later type NSX:
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula_X
I Drove one this style It was pretty cool it was a Auto though. It wasn't slow but my car definetly felt faster I think. We were suppose to race but it just never happened.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

I hear what your saying about the NSX and yes it does have quite the look. I was upclose to one and have seen one go down the road a couple times but it doesnt impress me. The reason why people didnt give the C5 a second glance is because you can see a vette everyday but how many NSX do you see? Hell how many people even know what a NSX really is. You said earlier that a 200k car is not an exotic but a supercar, the 430 is an exotic while the Enzo is a Supercar.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:50 AM
AOC
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fadi
A C5 Z06 would RAPE an NSX from ANY speed. I am not sure what NSX you raced, but a stock one and a stock C5 Z06 aren't even in the same league as far as straight line acceleration. Maybe close in handling, but definitely not in a straight line.
Exactly. At my work, we have autox club, and in the club, there are two (2000 & 2001) NSXs. Last year, we had 10 events and with every clean race (no penalties), I've beaten both NSXs. On the straight line, forget about it, it absolutely had no chance (with me in NA trim) when we played around on the highway after the autox runs.

Personally, I like the looks of NSX, I think the engineers did a great job with the design but as most have stated, it lacks power. For it's price, I would expect at least 400 bhp.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The NSX I raced was a fixed headlight car, it was lowered and had rims and a body kit. I also heard the exhaust which wasn't stock...so its an assumption but since I am high 11's N/A the last one I came across I blew by and then slowed down because it wasn't even close.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
IMO, they're hideous and completely uninspired. they look like a cross between a corvette and a 3000GT gone horribly wrong. booorrrring.
No offense... but comments like this that come from you, considering the car that you drive, kinda make me wonder about your taste (or lack thereof).
Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
No offense... but comments like this that come from you, considering the car that you drive, kinda make me wonder about your taste (or lack thereof).
+1

Choco I thought you'd given up making stupid **** comments?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Definitely not what I witnessed when I had my VY C6 Z out with the NSX.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
An NSX is a peice of ****. The look like ****, they are slow by todays sports car standards, and they probably handle half way decent, but who cares. Like everyone said, no doubt they were good for their time, but I can think of a million different vehicles I'd rather have for the money. To sum it up, an NSX is a complete waste of money.
Preach on Brother, I feel the same way as you and Fadi
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Me neither, now my brothers Bentley Continental now that makes my car dissapear!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
So we have to love your Nippon "work of art" in order to have "good taste"?? Or drive/own a REAL exotic in order to have an opinion on your "sushimi supacar"?
Sorry, the front clip is not too bad, but from the middle of the too high A pillar, to the tip of the rear bumper is hideous, especially that streched rear "deck".
Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I had all three cars in my garage, I would keep the fbody, Vett and sell the NSX.