Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

SRT-8 chargers all that?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007 | 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

I've ran the Daytona Charger from a 20 roll and we were close 'til i shifted 2nd because i had traction issues in first pulled by him like he dropped out an anchor and at 100 i had a good 4-5 cars on him. I touched the brakes and he flew by me and kept going. Must not have been too happy Have not raced a SRT8 but i want to and i REALLY like how they look. I think they look VERY aggressive and would own one if that was what i was looking for... I have no SRT8 experience yet but i will some day.~cole~
Old 03-25-2007 | 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by darcar1
mysrt8u this link is to your videos
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...ed01759ca7.htm
even running the 13.6's you said they hit earlier close race for the ls1 not the newer vette
yeah and if you look on the date of the video we posted that was two weeks ago. Also I never stated I outran a vette!. I did however run a 13.38@108 last friday night but airtemps were alot cooler and Im more than sure that attributed to a quicker run. I do love to race and have fun I dont flame others for what they drive or for who is faster. the bottom line is letting the numbers speak for themselves and having fun doing it. That vette in the video was highly modified and even ran a low eleven eralier in the evening on that night. The charger wasnt me. the charger is owned by Tim Edens and I drive the magnum in the video. Tim on the other hand has a 98 Jeep Grand cherokee that even a modded c6 z06 will have tough time with. but remember we are talking about LS1's here so thats where we need to keep this thread.

until then lets have some fun on th track and lett numbers speak for themselves!
Old 03-25-2007 | 11:26 AM
On The Tree

i've raced a bolted charger daytona, and a magnum r/t. and lost both...not by much though
Old 03-25-2007 | 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

chaman don't get me wrong the cars are very nice. I also like you like all the nice comforts in the newer cars. the thread started with are srt8's all that. It got into discussion of 12sec cars in stock trim. I just didn't want to see people misled about what they can do. A four door car with all the bells and whistles that can run 13's is awesome i do agree with you.

SRT8U i'm not flaming anyones ride, like i said above your cars are awesome but some of the earlier post had them in the 12's stock whoopin everything. and like you i'm more of a show me the numbers guy. some of the earlier post got it wrong and i was just posting some numbers.

I hope neither of you guys took what i was saying as flaming either one of you. in fact chaman i wished i owned both like you do

Last edited by darcar1; 03-25-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2007 | 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by darcar1
chaman don't get me wrong the cars are very nice. I also like you like all the nice comforts in the newer cars. the thread started with are srt8's all that. It got into discussion of 12sec cars in stock trim. I just didn't want to see people misled about what they can do. A four door car with all the bells and whistles that can run 13's is awesome i do agree with you.

SRT8U i'm not flaming anyones ride, like i said above your cars are awesome but some of the earlier post had them in the 12's stock whoopin everything. and like you i'm more of a show me the numbers guy. some of the earlier post got it wrong and i was just posting some numbers.

I hope neither of you guys took what i was saying as flaming either one of you. in fact chaman i wished i owned both like you do
Honestly I didn think you were flaming me. Ther area few cars on the west coast that have high 12's in stock form. but you also have to know on hte west coast the air is more dense and there is hardly any hummidity. even most of the ls1's o nthe west coast can achieve lower et's than most of us on the east coast.
Old 03-25-2007 | 11:40 AM
Teching In

Let me throw my 2 cents in, first of all i am not trying to offend anyone so there is zero disrespect from me. I currently own a 2006 300 srt8, dynoed stock 367.7, and without mods of any kind i have never lost to a stock trans am, ss, or even a c5. With my CAI, Catback, B&G PCM, and mag mids/cats, I havent lost to your ls2 c6's. I own a 2002 collector edition ta #2387, and have slp lid, borla, y pipe, and predator tune. I am by no means a poor driver, and even with my ta modded it CANNOT keep up with the srt(stock), a lot of you guys seem to think because someone beat an srt that you are always faster, you may have been better drivers or caught them in a bad gear, bad launch etc...i am unbiased, my yellow ta is my favorite car but is not capable of outrunning the srt from a dig, roll, or anywhere. i am uncertain however of other srt cars as i have never driven them, the 300 is the fastest of the group, so lets be realistic and not assume that a ls1 can outperform a srt 8, and whoever posted the horse power numbers for the srt at 275!.....what are you smoking, try 367.7 stock) not to mention chrysler has our computers so conservativly tuned its an outrage, the b and g tune will open up 25 hp on the srt's and driveability is exceptional.
Old 03-25-2007 | 11:51 AM
Teching In

Don't forget the break in period and torque management on these things!
A guy I work with dynoed his CSRT-8 with 400 miles on it and it came out at 357rwhp on a corrected dynojet. With 12,000 miles on the clock and NOTHING but a cold air it pulled 399rwhp and almost as much torque on the same dynojet! The car has gone 12.67 @ 111mph on 18" DR's and the CAI (still only managed a high 1.9x 60' though, terrible track prep around here).

The PCM doesn't allow WOT in first gear AT ALL, EVER! I've driven the car and it pulls harder in 2nd than it does in 1st! And like I said before the torque management is rediculous in these things! When someone figures out how to get into these PCM's they'll be running low 12's with nothing more than CAI's/exhaust/tunes!

Respect is due for these things.
Old 03-25-2007 | 11:52 AM
Launching!

If i was to choose one for my wife it would be the Jeep SRT8...those are hella nice,and faster then my TBSS
Old 03-25-2007 | 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now you guys are starting to realize how heavily torque managed these vehicles are. Torque management is not just during shifts and with ETC now the computer controls your percentage of throttle no matter what your foot does. The Hemi Charger I drove there is no way WOT was happening in 1st gear....it was damn near bogging down! And BTW I always like to go off magazine times that are repeatable. There are stock LS1 F-bodies and C5's that have run mid to high 12's bone stock. But thats not repeatable or probable. So please don't keep quoting one off times for SRT-8's. The SRT-8 C is respectable to be able to be cheaper than the CTS-V and perform as good.
Old 03-25-2007 | 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Below is a video of my best run that was taped. It was with CAI and resonator delete only 4,000 on the clock. 13.14 @ 111.14mph. I've run a 13.05 but i'm not counting that cause i don't have video. I've run a WS6 with a slp lid, predator, exhaust. I put about a car and a half on him from 60 to 150. Real cool guy!

I'm not sayin my car is this or that. I love the SRTs and i love the Fbody cars as well as old muscle.. i have all infact.. 00 SS, 69 nova ss, 07 300SRT8.. I'm just offering more information for a few more of the less informed guys.

I was in the far lane. (solid black)
reaction:1.02, lol
60ft: 2.13
1/4: 13.14@111.14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriD44dy6Hg
Old 04-13-2007 | 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

I just bought a new 2007 Charger SRT-8. It runs pretty good. Word is that they are underated at 425 HP.
Old 04-13-2007 | 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Beautiful car!
Old 04-13-2007 | 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a great looking car!!
Old 04-13-2007 | 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I were a rich ****, I'd have a 300 SRT-8 to pimp around in. Heard they only come in black or silver though.

Haven't raced an SRT-8, but I'll give them credit. A big 4100lb sedan running low, low 13's is pretty damn impressive. Remeber when Impala SS's were the ****? Those boats were lucky to run a 14 second quarter mile stock.

Did race a regular Charger R/T. Smoked him from 60-100, put a few buslengths on him. Owner was a cocky ***** and insisted we go from a dig. So I mashed it to the floor and spun the tires all the way to 2nd gear. He stayed at my rear bumper until 40mph or so, then it got real ugly.
Old 04-13-2007 | 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to add a V8 Sports sedan of some sort to the fold and think one of these would be a good deal used, but then again CTS-V's are starting to be a great deal as well.

I wonder how long the tranny would last w/o torque management?
Old 04-14-2007 | 12:40 AM
On The Tree

I'll knock the paint off that car!!!LOL!!!!
Old 04-14-2007 | 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

i raced one and it was pretty damn close my victory though
Old 04-14-2007 | 02:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chaman
Sweet Jesus...the amount of ignorance in this thread is incredible......im sorry to inform all of you that stock for stock the 6.1 liter HEMI is by FAR a superior, more powerful engine than the LS1...LS1 WERE the **** 6-7 years ago.......they are not anymore. Dont get me wrong they are very good engines but are not THE ****. Thats completely ignorant, and remember I have BOTH. The engine that must be consider THE **** in the GM lineup is the LS7...for now.....Wake up and smell the coffee....
Stock for stock I would agree with you, but I actually think LS1s are becoming more "the ****" than they ever were before. The aftermarket is building more and more momentum every month for these engines, and there are a full range of options for them. It isn't that expensive, relatively, to make big numbers on these engines, and the big numbers are getting bigger and bigger.

It is not like the Hemi is a bad engine, and stock it is a monster. It would be great if Chrysler would put the Hemi, especially the 6.1, in a more accessible package to the public. At least the upcoming Challenger is supposed to have a 6.1 standard, but unfortunately the thing is going to be heavy, and it is supposed to be around $30k, give or take.
Old 04-14-2007 | 02:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jbuerke142
an srt8?? i'm going to call bullshit on that. they're not getting mid 13's in a 4000+ lb car on 275rwhp.
Read his post again.
Old 04-14-2007 | 09:34 AM
Launching!

So the consensus here is that the SRT8's can run 13's bone stock, and 12's are achievable with mods and/or having a good driver behind the wheel (if its still stock). LS1's in stock form regardless if its a C5, F-body, or GTO can run 12-13's, so I say the outcome is 50/50 at least in a LS1-SRT8 matchup.

SRT8's are really nice cars and its nice to see DCX going back to their muscle car roots of putting H.O. motors into passenger sedans, station wagons, etc. Now if they resolve the issues with weight and possibly aerodynamics - then the SRT8's would be an awesome car to have.

Quick Reply: SRT-8 chargers all that?