Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 Camaro vs Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xtinctbird
when I bought my ws6 I raced my 94 ta with longtubes, catback, cold air intake and 3.73's, with my buddy driving the lt1 he put about 4 cars on me, that bolt on lt1 definatley ran stronger than my stock ls1 but since the mods have happened it's another story.
yeh it only takes a few bolt ons to kill an ls1 i also got beat by a bolt on lt1 when i had my 98 camaroso i bought an lt1 so ican make ls1s feel like i didlt1s rule
Old 04-27-2007, 05:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snk-huntr
yeh it only takes a few bolt ons to kill an ls1 i also got beat by a bolt on lt1 when i had my 98 camaroso i bought an lt1 so ican make ls1s feel like i didlt1s rule
You could of just modded the 98 Camaro. Unless it was a V6 then you definately made the right move
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Adam_346
96 Z28 M6, Full Exhaust , CAI, Throttle Body Bypass, Descreened MAF and Intake Elbow. The car also came with a Hypertech programmer .... whether or not the previous owner messesd around with that I don't know. I know everyone isn't going to believe me but truthfully I could care less, I'm not trying to win a debate or prove any point, im just saying exactly what happened. They raced from a 45 roll , the firehawk jumped him about 3/4 of a car but the LT1 came around him and proceeded to put around 2 cars on him up till around 125ish mph.

see im telling you , it can happen
I never it said it couldn't. I had an lt1 too, full bolt ons and I could only muster 105 mph trap one night. Seem to be closer to 103-104 which is in par for an auto ls1. Of course, mine was an auto too. There's always good running lt1s, versus poor running ls1s. Hell, it could even be just the driver mod.

We all know anything can happen on the street. I just find it funny when many people here never owned both and comment.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
There's always good running lt1s, versus poor running ls1s.
Hell, it could even be just the driver mod.
because thats the only way an LT1 can beat an LS1

The truth of it is, more LT1's are in poor condition because they are much older and easy to afford/scrap.
When a taken care of LT1, like the OP's or even mine puts up a good fight or even takes an LS1/Mach 1 down, its a bad driver, or a freak, or whatever ******* excuse someone can come up with.
The fact is, LT1's hit high 12's and low 13's with bolt ons and can take down a good running LS1/Mach 1 with the proper mods.

Yes LS1's are faster, Yes LS1's respond better to mods, but it doesnt make them the faster car 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by xtinctbird
when I bought my ws6 I raced my 94 ta with longtubes, catback, cold air intake and 3.73's, with my buddy driving the lt1 he put about 4 cars on me, that bolt on lt1 definatley ran stronger than my stock ls1

Originally Posted by darrensls1
See that sounds about right though. LT's & gears really wake up LT1's. With traction a LT1 with the mods you mentioned can rip out of the hole. I bet that LT1 was a very low 13 second car. Lots of stock LS1's (mine included) ran mid 13's at best. We can't all be the high 12 second stock LS1's. Because we don't all have M6's, we don't all live at sea level and we don't all have Evan Smiths driving skills

Last edited by burnzilla; 04-27-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Nice kill Skrilla. That LT1 surprises alot of people. Definately a good running car to run those times at SIR. Yeah the elevation is a killer, but so is the crappy prep they lay down there. No traction FTL. That time you have is alot better than most LS1/Mach 1s that run there.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=burnzilla]because thats the only way an LT1 can beat an LS1

The truth of it is, more LT1's are in poor condition because they are much older and easy to afford/scrap.
When a taken care of LT1, like the OP's or even mine puts up a good fight or even takes an LS1/Mach 1 down, its a bad driver, or a freak, or whatever ******* excuse someone can come up with.
The fact is, LT1's hit high 12's and low 13's with bolt ons and can take down a good running LS1/Mach 1 with the proper mods.

Yes LS1's are faster, Yes LS1's respond better to mods, but it doesnt make them the faster car 100% of the time.
QUOTE]

What was the bolt on lt1 trap speed.

Anything can win at anytime, that's what makes it interesting.

Poor running lt1, so that's what makes most of them slower than ls1s. Hell, at this time I thought it was technology differences. Nope, just lack of maintaince.

BTW, if you shop, you can get a 98 just as cheap as a 96 or 97. All it takes is some shopping.

I'm very well aware what both are capable.
You fit what I said before, about not owning both.

No doubt about a strong lt1. Just as others have posted too.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burnzilla
This is absolutely true. A lot of kids buy LT1's because they can be bought cheap and then don't take care of them by keeping up with tune ups, oil changes, ect.

I've also noiticed less and less LT1's at the track I go to. For every one LT1 I see at the track there are three or four LS1's and probably five or six imports. I think the problem is that more and more young kids are going the imports while 98/99 LS1's are finally becoming affordable.

And I agree that full bolt-on LT1's are no joke. They can put a hurtin on a stock or some lid & catback LS1s and sound mean as hell doing it.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now...please tell me how a 268 RWHP LT1 can pull on all these cars like this?...especially the 04 blown GT.....the guy is lying/hiding about his mods...it's that simple. Don't be so nieve.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...eb00cc8032.htm
Old 04-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Now...please tell me how a 268 RWHP LT1 can pull on all these cars like this?......the guy is lying/hiding about his mods...it's that simple.
What does a dyno number have to do with anything?
Who gives a **** about what a car dynoes? Its a good reference, thats all.
LT1's that put down 280rwhp are usually in the 12's, they don't need 300rwhp to hit 12 like LS1's.
Mostly because an LT1 with 280hp, has around 330 tq.
Just because a car has more hp, doesn't mean its faster.

.especially the 04 blown GT
What blown GT are you talking about?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

LT1's that put down 280rwhp are usually in the 12's, they don't need 300rwhp to hit 12 like LS1's.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Banned

Old 04-27-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Woot, time to go home, my work is done for today. Thank you for the humor. It's going to be a great weekend.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

So HP has nothing to do with highway roll racing?...got it..thanks.

The BLOWN GT IN THE VID...so you are talking trash and not even watching the vid I posted....UH DRRR
Old 04-27-2007, 03:30 PM
***Repost Police***

Now...please tell me how a 268 RWHP LT1 can pull on all these cars like this?...especially the 04 blown GT.....the guy is lying/hiding about his mods...it's that simple. Don't be so nieve.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...eb00cc8032.htm
I think alot of those races are BS for the mods he claims to have too, but he sure can shift pretty damn quick
Old 04-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I've seen alot of videos of his runs as well as the looks on the other guy's faces after they have come back from doing a few runs. I know he can drive that car very well and Skrilla's car has very good top end.

Come on folks, we're talking about the street here and alot of things can happen.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:38 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, but beating a 350rwhp+ GT? That's a wee bit farfetched with those mods.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

So HP has nothing to do with highway roll racing?...got it..thanks.
Stop acting like a child.
Yes HP has everything to do with any type of racing.
My point is, having more HP then another car does NOT necessarily mean you have the faster car.
Gearing, tuning, weight, torque and traction and others make up a race.
I have seen cars beat other cars with 50 more HP because of superior gearing and traction.

The BLOWN GT IN THE VID...so you are talking trash and not even watching the vid I posted....UH DRRR
I didn't see that vid.

Woot, time to go home, my work is done for today. Thank you for the humor. It's going to be a great weekend.
Youre just butt hurt your LS1 isn't leaps and bounds over LT1's.
Type away *******.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I think alot of those races are BS for the mods he claims to have too, but he sure can shift pretty damn quick
Nope thier BS.
Its very common for a Strong bolt on LT1 to put a hurten on Mach 1's and LS1's stock, and/or lightly modded.
Its not out of the ordinary.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:02 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah... but what would an LT1 with shorties, intake, and exhaust trap? Cuz he was PULLING that WS6, and my buddy's '02 WS6 trapped 110mph in the 1/4 with just a whisper lid.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yeah... but what would an LT1 with shorties, intake, and exhaust trap?
There's a guy on here with just a K&N and Borla on a 94 A4 running a 13.3.
Originally Posted by Lt1CamaroSS
I ran a 13.5 in a 94 a4 with cai and airfoil on st. tires
Now these are not freak times, just on the stronger side on things, and these are just a couple examples. I have hundreds.
And I would also like to mention the 60 foots on alot of these runs aren't crazy good, 2.0's.
Also, the bolt on LT1 record is 12.2... let me look for the vid, its a members car from here.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 PM
***Repost Police***

trapspeed... not e/t.