Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My trans am vs modded eagle talon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My trans am vs modded eagle talon?

In a few weeks I was offered a match, now idk I don't think the person asking knows how fast a trans am is or that is has a same engine as the vettes did but hes running a eagle talon with what seems to be mabye a evo 3 motor its awd turbo im guessing if what hes saying is true which he said was 230-240lbs of torque and around 300hp on that car would probally put it in the 13s my trans am only has a slp airbox with the k&n airfilter its getting tuned next week and im going to the dyno to run it to see the base power. Any thoughts how much of a chance I have? my thoughts if hes telling the truth is that hed pull out faster but id catch up.. what do you guys think?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot depends on whats done to his car, if its AWD then its a TSi which means it will have a 4G63 engine which have ALOT of pontential, with simple bolt ons and fuel with the right tune it can hit 4-500 HP easy. Do you know what kinda turbo hes running? I knew someone with a GSX (same thing) with a evo 16G turbo and bolt ons in the mid 12's....More details on his car would help but I wouldnt take it as an easy win
Old 05-08-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=4G63
All Talon turbos had the same engine, which is basically the same engine that is in the Evo's
Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Launching!

A Talon with a 4g63 motor is a dangerous car. The reason is cause they are dirt cheap and can be modded for little money to a very potent car. I was looking into getting one before I came to my senses and bought an LS1. Most of the owners of those cars don't really know what they are doing though. Ricers. You may want to inquire a little further and see if he got a bigger turbo. But if you don't have any money on it what the hell is wrong with a little race? Just get your launching down and you should do fine. Even if its modded you could still win easily by being a good driver.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

8lbs of boost hes running he said
Old 05-09-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fccs
hahahaha are you serious? Stock boost is 8 lbs, either he is BSin or his car is slow as hell, did he mention what kinda turbo it has that could make a BIG difference but if he has a stock turbo on 8 lbs there no way hes making 300 HP, stock is like 220 and the only way to really get power from those cars is to turn the boost up
Old 05-09-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

My friend has an eclipse with a 50 trim on it...It's a fast car but I beat him every time because of traction...If he has a stock turbo you should win unless you are a crappy driver.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=4G63
All Talon turbos had the same engine, which is basically the same engine that is in the Evo's
That is true. Talons/eclipes/lasers that are turboed do have the 4g's but they're not identical to the current evo's. They still have the same engine code but from at least the evo 8's and up the motors have basically been completely redesigned and made alot more reliable. So if this guy is saying he has the same engine as the evo 8's he's full of ****. He could have the same engine as the older evo's that wern't avaible in the states though.

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
My friend has an eclipse with a 50 trim on it...It's a fast car but I beat him every time because of traction...If he has a stock turbo you should win unless you are a crappy driver.
Was he driving an FWD casue if he had an AWD traction is no problem at all.

Originally Posted by fccs
He could easily be BSing you while saying that. All you need is about 50 bucks and you can change the boost to what ever you think your car can handle. On the stock fuel system you can safely run about 14lbs max. But if he's saying he's got 300hp and is only runnin 8lbs he has to have one massive turbo. Like stated, they're cheap cars that can easily be modified to big hp. If your a tuner on a budget you can easily pick up a stock AWD 1g DSM and get into the high 12's with $775. Ask him exaclty what mods, including the turbo he has to have 300 hp. Then post them up.

I had a 92 AWD talon but I sold it for something reliable . It was fun cause I could launch it in any kind of weather, rain or snow and I would bairly break trackion. Theres something very addicting about launching at 5k and just taking off. I launched that thing so hard my windshield wipers would come on and my cd player would skip and that was on shitty *** goodyear eagle LS's I miss that car at times. Then I go drive the LS1 and completely forget about it
Old 05-09-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

its hit and run, my buddys got a evo9 at 308 dyno horse, were basicly even... i run low 13s high 12s and im auto, my buddys basicly stock SS beats me and him, its a drivers race unless hes ***** to the wall right now... just race and find out
Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

8lbs.... nothign to worry about... although they 2nd gear is pretty strong, but at the end,our cars have pretty good top end as well and our cars will still take them. My cousin has a eclispe and his group of friends have that same car as well, talons/eclipses awd turbo'd....and yea, theyre pretty fast.... but i still smash on them, lol.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:18 AM
12 Second Club

well right now hes running 8 hes suppose to be running 22 when he gets something fixed i forgot what it was he has some mods on it he gave me a whole list of them ill see later if he was bsing or not
Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Launching!

well ive built and daily driven low 11 second dsm's. and quite honestly it doesnt take much.

but than again from a roll it takes alot more power to put the power to the ground through 4 wheels. so id try to get him to go from a roll... and hope he has nothing bigger than a 16g
Old 05-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Banned

You all realize that the amount of boost he is running doesn't mean anything, right?

I can build a LS1 on 5lbs of boost that would walk all over a LS1 on 15psi.

cfm > psi
Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

yea im still waiting for him yet but it should be interesting
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

This thread is useless without a modlist. 8psi on the 2G's stock T25 is a lot diff then 8 psi on a T3/T4 60 trim. If he as a small 16g or smaller you will be ok. A big 16g car can make around 350awhp or more if setup corrly. With a 19c on 19 psi and pump I would put buslengths on C5's from a roll. It all depends on his setup which is why my first sentence stands.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Dude my little brother has a fwd Laser turbo (same car as a talon) and he's puttin down around 290 or so and he walks away from me like I'm hitting the brakes...and I DO NOT catch up he just keeps embarrassing me. So no you have no chance man. Sorry BTW I am stock.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

But like everybody else has said...we need a mod list of what he has. My little bro has a 16g turbo and a lot of bolt ons (upgraded fuel, gm MAF, front mount, clutch, flywheel) and he hasn't even put in the cams yet!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pewter02WS6
Dude my little brother has a fwd Laser turbo (same car as a talon) and he's puttin down around 290 or so and he walks away from me like I'm hitting the brakes...and I DO NOT catch up he just keeps embarrassing me. So no you have no chance man. Sorry BTW I am stock.
stop that **** now...get some nawwws
Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That FWD car doesn't have the same rotating mass and added weight of the AWD DSM's that's why you can't catch him. You're better off racing that car from a dig.

My guess is that if he's fast enough to beat you you he'll be broke down by the end of summer. Fun cars but not very durable once you start adding boost.

+1 on racing from a roll though. Those AWD launches are hard to catch up to.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a big16G on my eclipse and run 14lbs of boost with a upgraded fuel pump. My camaro couldnt catch it while rollin.... Its real fun to drive. Doesnt have the chunky feeling of the F-bod