Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a New Stang GT "OVER RATED"

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
No arguement there. To this day, I remember a bone stock 91 L98 Z28 running 14.2 @ ~97 mph all day long at Great Lakes Dragaway in Wisconsin. This was circa fall 1990, so its been a while. Most folks called the guy a liar, cause he was quite a bit faster than most other stock 3rd Gens. However, he was doing all the right things....cooling the car between runs, icing the intake, using the right air pressure, shift points (even for an A4), etc.

That said, I'll argue till I'm blue in the face (doesn't take long) that the quickest Fox-body 5.0 (87/88 low-option 5 Speed Coupe) would be quicker than the quickest 3rd Gen.....excepting the TTA, of course. They were in their own league, back in the day.

FWIW....a clean 3rd Gen Z28/IROC will ALWAYS turn my head. Having an updated powertrain (ala LS1) makes them that much more interesting.

Bob

Yes the 5-speed 5.0's will be faster from the factory that's true, but if you check out ThirdGen.Org, there were guys on there that swapped a t-56 into an L98 and run high 13's stock. Maybe with the exception of an exhaust or something.

I personally ran a 14.41 @ 96.84 when my car was bone stock, just swapped a low mileage L98 out of a 91 vette(Car started as 305). Now the car is forged internals bored .060 over w/ all the bolt-ons. N/A i'm deep into the 13's.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 91 LS1 Z28
Otherwise I will even run you with my car but everyone should know the outcome of that but I bet I would still leave you sitting on the line.
I'd bet a lot of money you wouldn't. Do you have any idea who you are talking to?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:05 PM

Wow, this is still going? How do people get banned or threads get closed, cause this one might need it.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Internet racing poser without a clue, riiiiiight, blow me you chump. Money = performance and everyone knows that. I don't want my car to run in the 9's because I like to drive it on the street and have it covered by Geico who carries my insurance. No need to change my story so get it straight. Like I said before, I know what my 89 iroc did to stangs on the street and I'm not changing this either, stangs are garbage. You wanna run me heads up then build or find a car I can drive that compares in power, weight and so on and I will run you and then we can have a drivers race. Otherwise I will even run you with my car but everyone should know the outcome of that but I bet I would still leave you sitting on the line.
Please stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Here's a little tip. Don't try to argue with Bob. You will lose.

Read up:
http://www.hardcore50.com/racer_profiles/BobCosby.htm
Old 05-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

oh man. I got bored one day and decided to test drive a new '07 GT 'stang. It was really ok, and thats all. The car felt alot lighter and more nimble than my 98 T/A, but just had no guts at any point in the power range. Trust me though, I'm a GM guy and i will be forever, but dont **** with the 4 valve dohc motor. It'll run with an LS1 all day. I know cuz I've driven and seen. Its got a very similar kick in your rearend. I got a chance to see a mach 1 run a 780rwhp dyno test. He also only had the stock wheels and trim. I'll keep my LS1 'til the day I die, but I learned that the blue oval is a force to be reckoned with. you can be immature about it, but its the truth. Just puttung it out there for anyone who thinks that they cant be beat.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

haha rustang
Old 05-16-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Holy **** Unit, et al.....ya'll need to pipe down or I'm going to have to go buy new hats tomorrow morning before I go to work! BTW....that profile is way old....guess I oughta update it. LOL.

Oh....bought the old 99 back. Be a while before I can do anything with it though (kids in High School, getting ready to retire, have to build a house, [insert other excuses here], etc, etc).

Kyle....had GM offered a stick in the later L98 3rd Gens, I think things might have indeed been a bit different.

Mr Trophies...dude...you're a trip. I do appreciate the entertainment. However, I have a question for you....when you say that you would leave me "sitting on the line", are you referring to reaction time? 60 ft? 330 ft? What?

Bob
Old 05-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MillaTK
I'd bet a lot of money you wouldn't. Do you have any idea who you are talking to?
What, is he God ? Is he unbeatable ? I know I'm not talking to John Force or Big Daddy.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Mr Trophies...dude...you're a trip. I do appreciate the entertainment. However, I have a question for you....when you say that you would leave me "sitting on the line", are you referring to reaction time? 60 ft? 330 ft? What?

Bob
It's pretty self explantory that I think I can get a better R/T then you. As my car stands now you would walk me in the end obviously in your cobra if you are running 11's in it, never said you couldn't. Give me a car equal to yours and I will put my driving up against yours or anyone else's any day of the week. Back to your internet racing poser comment and about being sponsored, I see you are sponsored. Funny how that works. If ya want to run me wait until I get a clutch that can hold up to some slicks and do some other stuff I may have to do to pass tech at the track like a ds loop and so on and come on up to Maple Grove or one of the Jersey tracks. Hell, get one of your sponsors to send me a new clutch since I am unemployed. We can go to the track and if I don't get a better R/T then you I will bow down at your feet on video and tell everyone Bob Cosby is the mother ****** man and post it on here. Or you can just run on street tires.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Teching In

It's pretty self explantory that I think I can get a better R/T then you. As my car stands now you would walk me in the end obviously in your cobra if you are running 11's in it, never said you couldn't. Give me a car equal to yours and I will put my driving up against yours or anyone else's any day of the week. Back to your internet racing poser comment and about being sponsored, I see you are sponsored. Funny how that works. If ya want to run me wait until I get a clutch that can hold up to some slicks and do some other stuff I may have to do to pass tech at the track like a ds loop and so on and come on up to Maple Grove or one of the Jersey tracks. Hell, get one of your sponsors to send me a new clutch since I am unemployed. We can go to the track and if I don't get a better R/T then you I will bow down at your feet on video and tell everyone Bob Cosby is the mother ****** man and post it on here. Or you can just run on street tires.
man im not tryin to be a dick but i think your in a bit over your head now
Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bluegoat05
man im not tryin to be a dick but i think your in a bit over your head now
Thanks for the confidence. Seriously racing is racing, you win some and you lose some. Nobody likes to lose but someone has to. I know I don't have the fastest car but I don't have to sugarcoat anything either. I know I raced a lot of stangs with my 89 camaro and will correct myself and say I honestly only lost to 3, the third one was bad, bad driving on my part. If guys that own Mustangs want to get all butthurt over this let them, I know the facts and have plenty of witnesses, all unbiased, that would back me about the cars that I have run. There is a stang I want to run right now, 86 gt with heads, cam, carbed with a different intake obviously ( don't know what kind ), headers, exhaust and who knows what else. He claims to smoke LS1's all the time by carlengths. For the past week I have heard so many excuses of why he can't run me. First his tranny mount was shot. Then his buddy who I raced and beat said his front or rear main seal is shot. Then the same guy said his tranny cross member bushings are bad and not even there and then the guy who owns the car said his motor mount on the driver side is shot. He also said at first his car makes over 400 hp but was NEVER on a dyno and then said this past Saturday his car only makes 350 hp. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the confidence. Seriously racing is racing, you win some and you lose some. Nobody likes to lose but someone has to. I know I don't have the fastest car but I don't have to sugarcoat anything either. I know I raced a lot of stangs with my 89 camaro and will correct myself and say I honestly only lost to 3, the third one was bad, bad driving on my part. If guys that own Mustangs want to get all butthurt over this let them, I know the facts and have plenty of witnesses, all unbiased, that would back me about the cars that I have run. There is a stang I want to run right now, 86 gt with heads, cam, carbed with a different intake obviously ( don't know what kind ), headers, exhaust and who knows what else. He claims to smoke LS1's all the time by carlengths. For the past week I have heard so many excuses of why he can't run me. First his tranny mount was shot. Then his buddy who I raced and beat said his front or rear main seal is shot. Then the same guy said his tranny cross member bushings are bad and not even there and then the guy who owns the car said his motor mount on the driver side is shot. He also said at first his car makes over 400 hp but was NEVER on a dyno and then said this past Saturday his car only makes 350 hp. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
This is what you are not understanding......STREET RACING IS NOT REAL DRAG RACING. Get your head out of your *** and hace the dang facts. Do your self a favor to stop looking like such an *** (too late, I know).....go 'google' search Bob Cosby you idiot. I am not saying he is GOD....but he definitely isn't someone to call out in a REAL drag race.

Now, I do have one serious question for you:
Why do you honestly think that you can take street racing and compare them to drack track racing? How can you have all those trophies and be serious about your comparison.

Oh yeah...one more thing.....if you have SOO much track experience with your trophies, how the hell can you sit there and tell us that ~320 RWHP isn't possible to run 11-12s? IE: think HP is everything in a drag race?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ponygt65
This is what you are not understanding......STREET RACING IS NOT REAL DRAG RACING. Get your head out of your *** and hace the dang facts. Do your self a favor to stop looking like such an *** (too late, I know).....go 'google' search Bob Cosby you idiot. I am not saying he is GOD....but he definitely isn't someone to call out in a REAL drag race.

Now, I do have one serious question for you:
Why do you honestly think that you can take street racing and compare them to drack track racing? How can you have all those trophies and be serious about your comparison.

Oh yeah...one more thing.....if you have SOO much track experience with your trophies, how the hell can you sit there and tell us that ~320 RWHP isn't possible to run 11-12s? IE: think HP is everything in a drag race?
No **** street racing isn't drag racing, did I EVER say it was ? I don't recall doing so. Google Mario Andretti, surely you know who he is. See where he lives, better yet I will tell you he lives in Nazareth Pa but, if you don't believe me google may tell you. I live in Bethlehem Pa, about 15 minutes from Nazareth. Back when I had my 89 iroc and taking my x girlfriend home I saw him driving a cobra and threw him a rev. He pulled into the gas station ( a small texaco ) on the corner of the road I turned onto to take my girlfriend home. I stopped and talked to him when I left her house and ask if I could have the pleasure of racing one of the greatest indy drivers. He respectfully declined. I wouldn't have backed down from that race and will race anybody, including Bob. Mario also drives around in Lambo's and a few Ferrari's I think. Like I said, I am confident with my driving skills.

Light to light street racing is comparable to drag racing at the track imo. You have to anticipate the light change, launch the car better then the other driver and try not to spin like hell. If it's a manual against a manual car you have to shift cleaner and faster then the other driver as well.

320 rwhp and 11's are not possible in a bone stock ( no modifications at all, right from the assembly line to the track ) Fbody or Mustang Cobra from 99. I didn't say hp was everything, hp doesn't get you off the line. I NEVER said you couldn't run 12's with a bone stock fbody or mustang with 320 rwhp with NO modification at all, but 11's arent happening in that scenario. Like I said earlier, I have a dvd of a ford focus beating a mustang I ran, not by much but it happened. The focus dynoed 231 whp with a supercharger and weighs about 2,6xx pounds if I remember correctly. The stang supposedly runs high 13's from what my buddy that owns it said.

btw - When I was a kid and raced I always fought the weight disadvantage in just about every class I ran, I was bigger, a little chunky and quite a few inches taller then the other kids. My last year of racing in 1990 at the eastern grand national races in the junior half midget class at syracuse ny there was 300+ cars. I was the fastest car there out of everyone and it was my first time at this track, I was killing the local kids who ran that track just about every weekend since they were 5 and both my motors blew before the main race. A kid I raced with from my home track won the main race and I beat him 9 times out of 10 at our home track all the time. I came from dirt track racing to asphalt so to say the least I had better driving skills then the kids who only ever raced on asphalt.

Last edited by 91 LS1 Z28; 05-17-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 AM
***Repost Police***

Someone get this man another shovel, STAT!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Internet racing poser without a clue, riiiiiight, blow me you chump. Money = performance and everyone knows that. I don't want my car to run in the 9's because I like to drive it on the street and have it covered by Geico who carries my insurance. No need to change my story so get it straight. Like I said before, I know what my 89 iroc did to stangs on the street and I'm not changing this either, stangs are garbage. You wanna run me heads up then build or find a car I can drive that compares in power, weight and so on and I will run you and then we can have a drivers race. Otherwise I will even run you with my car but everyone should know the outcome of that but I bet I would still leave you sitting on the line.
You do realize that there are a bunch of 9 sec. cars driving on the street, right? I personally have two. One gets decent mileage when driven sanely and blows nice, cold air in hot summer traffic while listening to a decent stereo... There are quite a few guys who post on this forum with LSx cars that drive them to the track and run low 10s or better...

PLEASE quit diggging a deeper hole, get your head outta your ***, dig the crap outta your head and have an open mind. Maybe you should quit trophy racing for a hobby and take up yoga for a year or two.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Banned

OR...you could rub one out occasionally...I hear it releaves stress.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Teching In

How many times does a guy have to say "I'm done" before he actually shuts the f**k up?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
So I jumped on the interstate yesterday after working out, and up about a mile ahead of me I spotted a yellow mustang. I finially got up next to him and it was a new Yellow GT. So im next to him, 2 guys, and they looked over and got these looks on their face like, yeah what ever Ill beat you with my Mustang look. So next thing I know he punches it, well I figured that I had a few minutes so I took my good ole time and droped down to 3rd and stomped on it, we were doing about 65mph when this happened. I had to jump over to his lane cause a semi was in the right lane, I got up on his *** and when the right lane cleared I gave it full throttle again. I blew by him. So he catches up to me and looked over at me and we slew down to about 50 or 55 and gave me a 1 2 3 with his fingers, so he honked 3x's and we went, I instantly put a few cars on him, then it just wasnt funny, I blew him away so bad. He eventually caught up to me and wouldnt even look over, his passanger had the dumbest look on his face. So I finially look over again and give him the thumbs up and he rolls down his window and says, I was full throttle the whole time, what do you have in that thing, and I just yelled back exhaust, he yells no n2o, I said nope, he goes, holy **** you pulled so hard, I thought I could take you. I just laughed and thanked him for making my night . That was fun. First new mustang kill for me to the day. Im so pumped. Just thought I would share with everyone.
The fact you won...should this surprise you? Technically, you have 50 more ponies out of the box; even though GM never rated them that much, not to mention your slightly modded. As for being overrated, I don't think they are. Their 300 hp cars that run high 13's to low 14’s. Late model f-bodies were capable of low 13's right off the dealer lot.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KingCobra02
I like cheese.....

What exactly is an asshat? does that have a bill like a hardhat?
Maybe it's like a dunce cap....Kinda pointy on top
Old 05-17-2007, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Im the OP, yes that would be me. Thanks for all the entertainment, anyways, I had to just bring this up again. My father has a C6, Moneray Red with chrome C6 Z06 rims. I was sitting at a red light tonight in it, and this new black GT with exhausts goes by me really slow and says, I bet I could woop that Vettes ***. Now maybe he was a Meth Head, retarded, or just playing around, but it goes back to my point that, do some of these GT boys know what they are talking about, it almost reminds me of a buch of rice boys driving these cars. Sorry but I would kick the living FU*K out of a GT with this Vette. Just had to bring up another example of me running into complete tards. Anyways, carry on boys.
a C6 is lightyears ahead of 05+ GT

Quick Reply: Raced a New Stang GT "OVER RATED"