Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a New Stang GT "OVER RATED"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. Obviously he couldn't resist. Oh well - his loss.

BTW....my 99 Cobra was factory rated well below 350 HP and went 11.6's without ever cracking a valve cover or adding artificial aspiration.

What was your excuse again?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
LOL. Obviously he couldn't resist. Oh well - his loss.

BTW....my 99 Cobra was factory rated well below 350 HP and went 11.6's without ever cracking a valve cover or adding artificial aspiration.

What was your excuse again?
I don't have to make excuses, I've never ran any car I owned at the track so I can't speculate on a time my car I have now will run and never did. I also don't know a damn thing about 99 Cobras but it would be interesting to know how a car with under 350 hp went 11.6 at the track unless you are talking 1/8 mile, which is slow. I have buddies who have run at the track with slightly over 350 horse to the wheels and on slicks that only get into the 12's with a automatic.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im the OP, yes that would be me. Thanks for all the entertainment, anyways, I had to just bring this up again. My father has a C6, Moneray Red with chrome C6 Z06 rims. I was sitting at a red light tonight in it, and this new black GT with exhausts goes by me really slow and says, I bet I could woop that Vettes ***. Now maybe he was a Meth Head, retarded, or just playing around, but it goes back to my point that, do some of these GT boys know what they are talking about, it almost reminds me of a buch of rice boys driving these cars. Sorry but I would kick the living FU*K out of a GT with this Vette. Just had to bring up another example of me running into complete tards. Anyways, carry on boys.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=04Terminator][/QUOTE Thank God he is done!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Im the OP, yes that would be me. Thanks for all the entertainment, anyways, I had to just bring this up again. My father has a C6, Moneray Red with chrome C6 Z06 rims. I was sitting at a red light tonight in it, and this new black GT with exhausts goes by me really slow and says, I bet I could woop that Vettes ***. Now maybe he was a Meth Head, retarded, or just playing around, but it goes back to my point that, do some of these GT boys know what they are talking about, it almost reminds me of a buch of rice boys driving these cars. Sorry but I would kick the living FU*K out of a GT with this Vette. Just had to bring up another example of me running into complete tards. Anyways, carry on boys.
Sorry for your thread getting jacked, I'm big enough to say it atleast being partially responsible. To the above post I am guessing he was a retarded meth head. You should have handed him his *** and sent him looking for something he COULD beat like a stock civic.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:35 AM
***Repost Police***

Well that's an ******* move of course, but you never really know what he could have been packing... a supercharger or a some nitrous, and maybe he would have been right.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 91 LS1 Z28
I don't have to make excuses, I've never ran any car I owned at the track so I can't speculate on a time my car I have now will run and never did. I also don't know a damn thing about 99 Cobras but it would be interesting to know how a car with under 350 hp went 11.6 at the track unless you are talking 1/8 mile, which is slow. I have buddies who have run at the track with slightly over 350 horse to the wheels and on slicks that only get into the 12's with a automatic.
I thought you said you were done?

Nope - that was the 1/4 mile. Numerous LS1s have done it too (far more than Mustangs).

Can't help your buddies either, guess they're just slow.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the jack...

Back to your most recent post...don't get the common (no offense cool vette drivers) vette 'tude when your *** hits the seat. Sometimes things are not as they appear, but you are correct; IF the stang GT was stock he was indeed an ignorant ***.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

The 350 L98 Turd gens from 89-92 were the only ones I ever saw in the mid low 14's stock, about on par for a 5-speed 5.slow. I was just saying they were designed to compete/beat 5.slow stangs. Atleast thats what GM said back in the day.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:49 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyle91z28
The 350 L98 Turd gens from 89-92 were the only ones I ever saw in the mid low 14's stock, about on par for a 5-speed 5.slow. I was just saying they were designed to compete/beat 5.slow stangs. Atleast thats what GM said back in the day.
You are correct. Problem is that you could remove the air box, put a .05 cent washer in the distributor and bump the timing up on a 5.slow and still take an L98. Either way, still slow by LS1 standards.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91 LS1 Z28
Sorry for your thread getting jacked, I'm big enough to say it atleast being partially responsible. To the above post I am guessing he was a retarded meth head. You should have handed him his *** and sent him looking for something he COULD beat like a stock civic.
Ah no big deal. I dont care. I would of, but he didnt look worth it.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Well that's an ******* move of course, but you never really know what he could have been packing... a supercharger or a some nitrous, and maybe he would have been right.
It didnt sound like he had nothing but a CAI and exhaust. What I didnt like is the way his exhaust sounded. It sounded horrible. Usually I nut over a stangs exhaust. Like the Cobras/other GT's ive heard . I just love the **** talking around here lately.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
Sorry for the jack...

Back to your most recent post...don't get the common (no offense cool vette drivers) vette 'tude when your *** hits the seat. Sometimes things are not as they appear, but you are correct; IF the stang GT was stock he was indeed an ignorant ***.
LOL. Im just in the mood to just race hard lately. Must have been cabin fever.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 AM
9 Second Club

LOL. Im just in the mood to just race hard lately. Must have been cabin fever.
yea, I hear ya. I've been working too much and when i get a chance to drive a car it's been raining...I need to scratch the itch too.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
yea, I hear ya. I've been working too much and when i get a chance to drive a car it's been raining...I need to scratch the itch too.

I hear you, Im at work right now, posting on here is my getaway from complete morons at work. So I dream alot at work about racing. I guess Im just going to have to hit the powerball so I can play, not work.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kyle91z28
No arguement there. To this day, I remember a bone stock 91 L98 Z28 running 14.2 @ ~97 mph all day long at Great Lakes Dragaway in Wisconsin. This was circa fall 1990, so its been a while. Most folks called the guy a liar, cause he was quite a bit faster than most other stock 3rd Gens. However, he was doing all the right things....cooling the car between runs, icing the intake, using the right air pressure, shift points (even for an A4), etc.

That said, I'll argue till I'm blue in the face (doesn't take long) that the quickest Fox-body 5.0 (87/88 low-option 5 Speed Coupe) would be quicker than the quickest 3rd Gen.....excepting the TTA, of course. They were in their own league, back in the day.

FWIW....a clean 3rd Gen Z28/IROC will ALWAYS turn my head. Having an updated powertrain (ala LS1) makes them that much more interesting.

Bob
Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Bob, shouldn't you be freshing up Black Cloud? -Mark
Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Well this is always like Ford they always have something good but they wait too long to release it. Had the GT-40 head and intake 302 bean released a few years earlier they would have killed any L98. **** if Ford was smart they could have put out as much power as an LT1 with the 302 had they used the cobra heads and intake used a E303 came and bumped compression to around 10.5:1 like the LT1. And the list just keeps going on aluminum 3v's in the 99-04 GT's would have been lighted than the new body style with the same power of well at least I got a 03 Mach 1 only about a year too late to meat up with f-bodies but close enough.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 AM
***Repost Police***

But you see, Ford was simply smarter with their business plan for the Mustang (mostly 94-98)... give as little quality/performance as you can get away with and still keep the market share, and make it comfortable enough for the group that is gonna be your main buyer, which would be women ages 16-24. And then charge more money if you want more performance. GM did exactly the opposite... all the performance in the middle model. And while neither car is "comfortable," the Mustang is certainly moreso for the average person on a day-to-day basis. Personally I'd love a SOM LS1 WS6, but I'm also the kind of guy that would take a '96 Admiral Blue LT4 Corvette with red/black interior over a C5
Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
But you see, Ford was simply smarter with their business plan for the Mustang (mostly 94-98)... give as little quality/performance as you can get away with and still keep the market share, and make it comfortable enough for the group that is gonna be your main buyer, which would be women ages 16-24. And then charge more money if you want more performance. GM did exactly the opposite... all the performance in the middle model. And while neither car is "comfortable," the Mustang is certainly moreso for the average person on a day-to-day basis. Personally I'd love a SOM LS1 WS6, but I'm also the kind of guy that would take a '96 Admiral Blue LT4 Corvette with red/black interior over a C5
See your not too bad of a guy after all . Everyone has a little bit of Bow Tie in them. +1 on the SOM WS6

Quick Reply: Raced a New Stang GT "OVER RATED"