Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2001 Z28 vs WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007 | 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 2001 Z28 vs WRX STi

Yesterday I just got done putting my valvetrain back together after checking my pushrods and installing my TR6 plugs(getting ready for nitrous) and went to pick up a couple of my friends and drive it around a little.

So we're just cruising and I pull up to a light behind a car in the right lane and out of nowhere this blue WRX rolls past me to the line. I didn't even notice at first but my friend started shouting "WRX, WRX, WRX, WRX! You gotta race him!" and I replied "Man I kinda wanted to take it easy tonight....ok I'll do it...."
As soon as the light turned green I pull around the car in front of me and got right up on the rear of the WRX. He moves to the right line and I pulled up next to him in second gear going about 40 but as soon as the nose of my car gets next to him he jumps! So I stomped on it and slowly caught up to him, shifted to third and past him by half a car. Then he caught up even with me again. Then I got up by half a car and still pulling slowly and let off at about 100. The speed limit was like 45 so I figured that was a good speed to shut down - I have got to get a good radar detector.
So it was a damn close race and he had plenty of advantages. There was only the driver in his car and 3 total in mine plus I had to play a little catch up. I wish I could've talked to the guy to see if he had anything in it, but he just waved and went on. The only thing I could see was probably an after market muffler and we could hear the BOV.
Old 05-19-2007 | 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice kill
Old 05-19-2007 | 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 105
and I replied "Man I kinda wanted to take it easy tonight....ok I'll do it...."
This really made me laugh!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/708618-you-know-you-drive-f-body-when.html

Good kill! Those cars are nothing to take lightly!
Old 05-19-2007 | 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
This really made me laugh!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708618

Good kill! Those cars are nothing to take lightly!
Thanks guys. Yeah I knew that was gonna be a tough race.

Number 5 in that list is all me! There is this huge overpass I go under every other day and its sounds so damn good with the cutout open as you pass through. And its right at a busy intersection so as I pass through I look around at people like "Yeah MotherF**ker".
Old 05-19-2007 | 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Nice runs...great kill! It's always a plus to be able to smoke out a WRX!!! lol.....but you gotta watch, the WRX and Evo owners will get mad at us for this thread!
Old 05-19-2007 | 02:20 PM
Teching In

What's there to get mad about?
Old 05-19-2007 | 02:23 PM
Launching!

Nice run. Sounds like the weight was an issue for sure. How long before the juice?

Trending Topics

Old 05-19-2007 | 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Nice run. Sounds like the weight was an issue for sure. How long before the juice?
That was the first time I race one of those so I have nothing to compare it too. I think they are rated 300 flywheel HP and weigh about 3200 lbs. They are like a lighter version of the new mustang gt's, except w/ FI instead of NA power of course. I've heard they don't get as much power to the wheels because they are AWD, but I'm not sure about that.

I've had the damn kit for 3 weeks now, but I have so much going on I'm just now getting in to it. I'm gonna put in my LM1 wideband first, hopefully this week and also start laying out where I want everything to go. So it is in progress.

Last edited by 105; 05-19-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2007 | 02:44 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you are doing it right. Good. I once had my car offline for a month optimizing intercooler piping after work becuase I did not like the way others did it. It was all the sweeter when it finnaly came together

As far as the STi: Yeah, about 300HP/TQ. Bit more loss to the wheels IDK exactly what their WHP is, probably around 250. They are about as heavy as an Evo~3200LBS. The 2.5L (EJ25)we get here in the US is a lot more of a mid-range TQ powerplant than the 2L (EJ20) which makes similar power with less displacement. So it does not have a whole lot up top, which you discovered. Much like the Evo, in stock form emmisions and tune hurts them up there.
Old 05-19-2007 | 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

So it does not have a whole lot up top, which you discovered. Much like the Evo, in stock form emmisions and tune hurts them up there.
Ok, so that why he would catch up with me then fall behind again.
Old 05-19-2007 | 03:04 PM
Launching!

Yep. Your weight was likely slowing you down, particularly when you upshift. So he was likely right in the meat of his power at like the high 5s when you are shifting, and he starts to come back a bit. Then he gets up high and starts to run out of breath while you are getting right into yours and you pull away. Eventually you would have just walked. Sounds like you were at that point around 100.

Additionally, his steep gearing wont neccesarily work so well up top and his aero is not great for high speed. All the body work on those is for downforce and controll, which tends to make drag somewhat.
Old 05-19-2007 | 03:07 PM
Teching In

They Do Make Less Whp Cause You Lose More Hp Through Awd, They Have About 15 Whp Less Than A New Mustang Stock, But Are A Drivers Race With Them A Friend Of Mine Has One. And When I Was Just Exhaust He Could Pull Me A Car In 2nd And I Could Pull Even In 3rd Every Time. Nice Kill You Def Would Done Better Without [assengers
Old 05-19-2007 | 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I kinda glad I didnt have to take him from dig. I think he would've destroyed me because my tires are terrible. Sumitomo srixon 4's all season(came with the car). Thats something else all be fixing along with the nitrous. I can't wait to hear these sumitomos break free every time I shift.
Old 05-19-2007 | 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 105
I kinda glad I didnt have to take him from dig. I think he would've destroyed me because my tires are terrible. Sumitomo srixon 4's all season(came with the car). Thats something else all be fixing along with the nitrous. I can't wait to hear these sumitomos break free every time I shift.
Don't be scared to run one from a dig. You'll quickly learn that not everyone can launch an AWD car.
Old 05-19-2007 | 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Don't be scared to run one from a dig. You'll quickly learn that not everyone can launch an AWD car.
I'll remember that.
Old 05-19-2007 | 07:30 PM
Banned

As far as the STi: Yeah, about 300HP/TQ. Bit more loss to the wheels IDK exactly what their WHP is, probably around 250. They are about as heavy as an Evo~3200LBS. The 2.5L (EJ25)we get here in the US is a lot more of a mid-range TQ powerplant than the 2L (EJ20) which makes similar power with less displacement. So it does not have a whole lot up top, which you discovered. Much like the Evo, in stock form emmisions and tune hurts them up there.
Most STI's put down about 235WHP, give or take a few. They weigh in at 3351lbs, which is only 100lbs less than an F-Body. Not a big difference in weight at all.

From a roll, STI's are a joke for even a stock F-body. From a dig, provided you don't get outlaunched by carlengths, they aren't anything to worry about either.

Last STI I ran on the highway got pulled by 2 cars in a matter of about 5 seconds, then he let off and got into the slow lane to get off the next exit.

Top end has nothing to do with emmissions or tune, or else stock F-bodies would suck in the top end. We have tons of emmissions crap, and our stock tunes are nothing to brag about at all. Its about power curves, and little 4 cylinders don't pull like frieght trains on the top end.
Old 05-19-2007 | 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Most STI's put down about 235WHP, give or take a few. They weigh in at 3351lbs, which is only 100lbs less than an F-Body. Not a big difference in weight at all.
There not quite that heavy, more like 3250lbs, also 235whp would be on the low side of things.
Old 05-19-2007 | 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6

From a roll, STI's are a joke for even a stock F-body. From a dig, provided you don't get outlaunched by carlengths, they aren't anything to worry about either.

Last STI I ran on the highway got pulled by 2 cars in a matter of about 5 seconds, then he let off and got into the slow lane to get off the next exit.

Top end has nothing to do with emmissions or tune, or else stock F-bodies would suck in the top end. We have tons of emmissions crap, and our stock tunes are nothing to brag about at all. Its about power curves, and little 4 cylinders don't pull like frieght trains on the top end.
Edmunds.com rated the 04 WRX STi at 3263 lbs, 05 at 3298 lbs, and the 06 at 3351 lbs.
This guy must've had some mods, he was kinda hard to shake.
Old 05-19-2007 | 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 105
Edmunds.com rated the 04 WRX STi at 3263 lbs, 05 at 3298 lbs, and the 06 at 3351 lbs.
This guy must've had some mods, he was kinda hard to shake.
Do you know the year? They new '07's are abit faster, they have some better gearing and alittle larger turbo. Didnt know there was that much weight difference in the years?
Old 05-19-2007 | 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIevo
Do you know the year? They new '07's are abit faster, they have some better gearing and alittle larger turbo. Didnt know there was that much weight difference in the years?
Not really a larger turbo, different and larger wastegate to resolve the boost-creep issue (VF39 vs VF43).

But yea, the gearing helps out a lot in the 07s. People have been trapping about 1-3 mph higher since they have to shift one less time. They have been trapping as high as 105 if that particular person didn't get the crappy stock tune that has been a problem.

In terms of owners, you will often get somehow who does not know what to do one correctly, such as adding a BOV which takes away power and shifting near redline as opposed to around 6400 (this last part is crucial). Also, there is the factor of brake boosting; if an STi does not do this like most turbo cars, it will more than likely lose from the get-go (probably what happened with you onebadass).

As for the weight, there is more than power to weight ratio to figure out which car is faster. They weigh about 150 lbs less (on average as we are dealing with the fact that F-bodies have a variance due to options, body kits, rims, T-tops, 'verts etc.). Moreover, an STi has very strong mid-range power and much more aggressive gearing below 100 which will keep it up with a stock F-body..when driven correctly.

For power, average is all over the place as AWD dynos are everywhere on the map, but 235 is on the low end. If we say that a stock M6 F-body dynos on average at 310, then the average of a stock STi is about 245. A tuned, turbo-back STi will make about 285 WHP and 325 WTQ.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/images_products/3158.jpg

(pretty good dyno, very high altitude (hence my average numbers above are slightly higher), not sure if they used 91 or 93 octane (another possible reason))

As for stock STi's vs stock F-bodies..M6's have nothing to worry about past 100.

When my STi was stock, an F-body buddy of mine with a stock 2.73 geared Z28 and I raced. He lost every time, but seemed like he would have probably won if he went to around 140 (we stopped at 110). I would pull much too strong at the lower speeds while he would constantly try to get in his power band which gave me too much of a lead.

edit:
Originally Posted by
Emissions and tunes have more to do than number of cylinders and engine size. An STi will destroy on top-end a stock L98 and beat a stock LT1 for example both of which are much larger. Furthermore, there are 2.0 liters out there that pull much stronger on top-end than an LS7 Z06. Lastly, stock F-bodies do suck on top-end, compared to a T67 Supra or GT35 EVO or a stock 03/04 Cobra. Stock STi's suck on top end compared to stock LS1's. It's all relative.

Last edited by Gloveperson; 05-19-2007 at 11:24 PM.