Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

raced a Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007 | 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default raced a Cobalt SS

this kid pulls up next to me a few weeks ago with one of these cars with gauges everywhere and a loud exhaust sound coming from it but as hard as it tried he continued to get losses evertime he smashed the gas with his "thunda from down unda" exhaust set up! anyway are these cars suppose to be fast at all? I forgot all about the race(I don't really consider smackin' around ricer's racing but since there has been alot of evo and other import talk I remembered)so I thought I'd share my little story about bulling up on the little thing!
Old 06-24-2007 | 09:54 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
this kid pulls up next to me a few weeks ago with one of these cars with gauges everywhere and a loud exhaust sound coming from it but as hard as it tried he continued to get losses evertime he smashed the gas with his "thunda from down unda" exhaust set up! anyway are these cars suppose to be fast at all? I forgot all about the race(I don't really consider smackin' around ricer's racing but since there has been alot of evo and other import talk I remembered)so I thought I'd share my little story about bulling up on the little thing!
You want to put a pall on a thread including Cobalt guys, ask them how they'd do against an STi or Evo. Never had even an answer from one of them. Usually they quit posting. On the other hand. They got the future of performance for the average guy, this 35 mpg deal is gonna be the death of the affordable rwd V8, JMHO.

GM Employees and salespeople are telling the suckers that buy them that they are clearly stronger than the LS1/LS2 cars. It shocks the hell out of them when they run their first one and realize they've been had. On the other hand Erica Enders used to drive a fast one.
Old 06-24-2007 | 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

They look kind of cute in my rear view mirror....
Old 06-24-2007 | 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrp
You want to put a pall on a thread including Cobalt guys, ask them how they'd do against an STi or Evo. Never had even an answer from one of them. Usually they quit posting. On the other hand. They got the future of performance for the average guy, this 35 mpg deal is gonna be the death of the affordable rwd V8, JMHO.

GM Employees and salespeople are telling the suckers that buy them that they are clearly stronger than the LS1/LS2 cars. It shocks the hell out of them when they run their first one and realize they've been had. On the other hand Erica Enders used to drive a fast one.
LOL, well he jumped me like he was going whoop my a$$ but after the second shalackin' he drove like his granny took the wheel!
Old 06-24-2007 | 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wrp

I think I'll make a trip to a dealership and pose as a buyer for a cobalt SS and ask how they compare to the lt1s and ls1s just to hear what the guy has to say.
Old 06-24-2007 | 10:50 PM
On The Tree

i bought a '06 cobalt ss/sc for my wife about a year ago and to be honest its not a bad car for the money.. and if its a supercharged version there pretty quick for a 2900 pound car with 200-210 at the wheels (under rated just like our f-bodys) and doesnt take very much to make them fast.. pulley, ported blower, etc.etc...but no it cant even hang with my car but just with CAI and GM stage II kit i've made my friend eric in his stock 96 Z28 look stupid when we raced from a 40 punch.. not bad for a 4- banger
Old 06-24-2007 | 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

just like all factory FI cars, they have a lot of potential you just have to know where to spend the money.
Old 06-24-2007 | 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
what was the point of this post.
Old 06-25-2007 | 12:41 AM
Teching In

i think they are rated at like 210hp at the flywheel. 14 second car?? dont quote me though.
Old 06-25-2007 | 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

They remind me of squirrels
Old 06-25-2007 | 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

it holds its own on forza 2...i wasn't about to buy a foreign car to start out
Old 06-25-2007 | 04:30 AM
TECH Resident

^^ good man

lol my friends boyfriend has a colbalt, shes so cute when she says "its fast"
Old 06-25-2007 | 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1wannabe
what was the point of this post.
is this not the street racing and kill story's forum?
Old 06-25-2007 | 10:40 AM
Banned

Please come to my dealership if you want to know the performance of a Cobalt SS.

It's 2.0 engine pumps out a little over 200 h.p. I was going to say 14.8 stock, CAR & DRIVER says 14.6. GM sells kits to pump out more. At some point the car over powers the tires. I've seen some 13's. STI and EVO's aren't supercharged. The Cobalt is. GM has built the engine to make over 1200 h.p..

The car I once had was an automatic NITROUS powered Cavalier. I raced anything I found in the next lane. The car ran 13's on street tires. It's best run was 13.53. It's best mph was 103 something. I have a very few 1.8 something 60' times. Normally 2.0 was expected. If your LS-1, 2,3,4, or 5 what ever didn't run 13's on street tires you might have lost. If, I pulled another .200 at the tree you can do the math.

I don't think GM ever targeted the Cobalt or the Cavalier as a replacement for your LS-'s cars. I am sorry they changed the name of the car. I am sorry they called it an SS. Facts are GM saw what thousands of folks had done to their Cavaliers back in the 90's They tried to address the fact EVERYONE in the car industry had mini performance cars except GM. GM mini racers, on slicks, are quick. Not very reliable but quick.
Old 06-25-2007 | 11:24 AM
Banned

For the record Marty Ladwig has the National record for FWD cars in a 07 Cobalt. It's 7.27 @ 201.55.

Before anyone throws a BS flag on my post please remember this. In different parts of the country there are unusual cars. Last week I watched a Skylark run 11's in the 1/4 and it was on his roof. I also watched a racing buddy make his first full pass full pass in his Grand National @ 9.44. A week or two ago a smoking regular cab Dodge truck ran high 9's. A crew cab smoking Dodge truck ran 12.2 on street tires.

When you're talking about drag racing it's almost impossible to make a blanket statement about FWD, RWD, AWD or any damn thing you want to talk about. The kids where I posted and GM said no one could ever build an automatic Nitrous powered Cavalier. Heard the same thing from the Honda board. There was a time when no 4 cylinder had ever run 200 mph in the 1/4. Some folks have lost their lives trying to become quicker than anyone else. Others have spent thousands of hours and dollars trying to set records.
Old 06-25-2007 | 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1200 hp?!?!?!? you're kidding me right?
Old 06-25-2007 | 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

The ecotec block can hold 1200hp no problem. It just needs forged everything and 40lbs of boost. Pretty neat seeing as its in millions of GM vehicles, and many decent examples can be found at the local j-yard.
Old 06-25-2007 | 01:36 PM
Banned

1200 is perhaps low from reality. Bars in the back to push the front wheels down, 8 injectors. GM also sells a book on this mini motor telling you how to built a street version.

I think, I should know I sell the things, 07 is the last year for the SS Cobalt. It's offered in the HHR for 08. A panel HHR is also offered. Not a bad little combo panel delivery with the stock 200 + doctored supercharged mini motor.

A guy is proudly driving his new 2009 SS F/Body. Rolls up to cute little HHR panel. Smiles to himself oh, I'll have fun with this. Rolls out smashes the go pedal, the panel runs a car length ahead until the new SS runs through 4th. Guy thinks to himself what the FXXX was that?

Trust me, few people at LS1 know what it's like to drive an automatic FWD 4 that looks completely stock at the drag strip that runs 13's. It's as much fun as driving a stock looking F and putting it into the 9's.
Old 06-25-2007 | 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigT2002
They remind me of squirrels
Squirrels that fall apart at 75k miles.
Old 06-25-2007 | 03:13 PM
Banned

A Squirrel is anyone that gets their *** handed to them by any underpowered vehicle.