Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98 TA vs Cobalt SS Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade87
you would expect some times like that but they are very hard to get in those cars becuase they get absolutely no traction. my buddy is in a Cobalt SS car club here in phoenix and the fastest time a cobalt has ever ran in arizona is a 13.6 something like that. there are stage 3+ cobalts with almost 300 horses running 14.00's consistently cause they just cant hook up. my buddy has a 2.7" pullie which is a drag pullie (illegal on the streets) and he has k&n intake a great tune from a local SS guy exhuast and 42 lbs injectors and his aeroforce gauge is saying he has about 295 crank horse and the best time he has ran was a 14.1. and in order for those cobalts to get traction IE some sticky tires they need new axles because the axles the car comes with stock are skinnier than your D*CK when you come out of the woom(terrible sp*)

i actually think they are a pretty nice car and all becuase when my buddies not on the throttle he is getting something like 30+ mpg's on the highway. they do have their downfalls thou which every car does, they just need quiet a few drivetrain/traction mods before they can really hook up. just my 2cents and im sure ill get bashed a little but hey whatev.

and also to john, 20 pounds per wheel is a sh*t load of rotational mass. you just added 40 pounds of rotational mass to your rear drive tires and if i remember correctly reading somewhere on this site, rotational mass 10lbs= something like 50 pounds dead weigh. so you really just added something like 200 lbs of dead weight to your car which would make you run .2 or more slower. not ripping on you or anything cause you did say you had a set of stickies on the 16's. but nice race good kill op.
this post... WOW.

ok first off if he is running a 2.7 pulley (drag pulley LMFAO) he is an idiot for running 42# injectors, i am running the GM 3.06 pulley and the 42's and my injectors are static at 5800rpm in 3rd, so i dont even want to see his AFR or IDC... and an illegal pulley ROFL!

and actually the axles arent half bad if you eliminate wheel hop and huge clutch dumps. i have broken two, one was with my dr's and a 5 grand dump, the other was on streets with a 5 grand dump. there are plenty of guys running high HP numbers with no problems.

how do you get 40 extra pounds of rot. mass when he has 20 extra lbs on four corners??? pretty sure thats 80 unless he converted it into a motorcycle.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Hey LS1Tech I'm the one who owns the Cobalt SS S/C in the video.

The ricer pic is refrencing a bet me and John2005 had before the race.
Alot of the guys over at CobaltSS.net had made fun of the 20's on the Trans Am so the joke bet was If I was able to keep 6 or less cars on him. If I lost I had to go on the forums and say all Cobalts suck.

So as I was able to stay less than 6 cars behind him I won the bet.
The ricer pic is John pointing at his rims like a ricer.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
this post... WOW.

ok first off if he is running a 2.7 pulley (drag pulley LMFAO) he is an idiot for running 42# injectors, i am running the GM 3.06 pulley and the 42's and my injectors are static at 5800rpm in 3rd, so i dont even want to see his AFR or IDC... and an illegal pulley ROFL!

and actually the axles arent half bad if you eliminate wheel hop and huge clutch dumps. i have broken two, one was with my dr's and a 5 grand dump, the other was on streets with a 5 grand dump. there are plenty of guys running high HP numbers with no problems.

how do you get 40 extra pounds of rot. mass when he has 20 extra lbs on four corners??? pretty sure thats 80 unless he converted it into a motorcycle.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
he is right about the fact that most cobalts run slow times because they have prob hooking. and as for him being an idiot with 42lb inj. if im right doesnt the reg stage 2 package come with 42lb injectors?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Teching In

o n read again he says 40lbs more rotational mass on the REAR tires.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

^^ HAHAHA nice one. I was just getting annoyed and stopped watching the vid after the first roll race.

And yes to back up whoever stated that 1lb. of rotational mass = 8lbs dead wieght. That is correct.

So 80lbs x 8 = 640lbs.

Assuming your car weighs the same as mine (before the rims of course) 3460lbs. You would weigh in at a staggering 4100 theoretical pounds.

Found this spread sheet that has all the math worked out.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/files/wheel_inertia.xls

It says that you are using about 38ft lbs. of torque just to turn those ******* from a stop.

Last edited by Adriana Lover; 12-26-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brian06eleanor
he is right about the fact that most cobalts run slow times because they have prob hooking. and as for him being an idiot with 42lb inj. if im right doesnt the reg stage 2 package come with 42lb injectors?
ok you are right about the weight comment, my bad.

and yes the stage 2 comes with 42's................. on a 3.06 pulley. 42's arent even adequate on that pulley, imagine on a 2.7...

and yes cobalts run slow at the track because the majority of the owners think adding more power is their cure for slow track times, when they already cant get the car to hook.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Amen, Yes the cobalts are a pain to hook.
Best bet is a solid engine and transmission mount, Better tires than the crappy P-Zero Rosso's that come with it, and some traction mods.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

ya i was just being optimistic for him lol. the best ive seen out of the was low 14s but thats pretty much stock im sure. as for the rotational mass thing, i would hate to know how bad my wheels affect my car. i have 20x10 and 20x8.6 my rear wheels weigh 54lbs a piece without a tire and my fronts weigh46lbs. i need some 15s lol
Yeah but the 05+ stangs just don't look right without some dubs man. They were made for some large diameter stuff. F-bodys look best IMO with 17s. It's funny though did you see how slow the Shelby car was with 600 hp? I blame the gigantic wheels on the massive no traction issue (besides the power). When the sidewall doesn't flex at all your gonna have traction issues. It also makes it hard for the suspension to keep the tires planted as well. 50+lbs bouncing vs. 25lbs or so is a big difference. Think about the those washboard bumps you see on the street. There are bumps ALL OVER public roads and tracks. No road surface is perfectly smooth. Thats just my 2 cents. I'm a cheap bastard and don't really care how my car looks with big wheels anyway.
I'm not saying you CAN'T get the large stuff to hook, it's just harder.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Teching In

ya its true. i run 285 nittor 555r which is a decent tire but with it bn a hard 20" tire it doesnt hook for crap. i make decent pwr. but not enough that i should be breaking loose at 60 in 3rd from rolling starts. but it does EVERY time
Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

ya its true. i run 285 nittor 555r which is a decent tire but with it bn a hard 20" tire it doesnt hook for crap. i make decent pwr. but not enough that i should be breaking loose at 60 in 3rd from rolling starts. but it does EVERY time
have you considered putting some different gears in ur car....

if you put in some higher gears (lower numerically), it will help you hook a bit, as well as load the turbo and likely make it spool quicker...
Old 12-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
have you considered putting some different gears in ur car....

if you put in some higher gears (lower numerically), it will help you hook a bit, as well as load the turbo and likely make it spool quicker...
it came factory with 3.55 gears and i put 3.90 gears in befor i knew i was goin turbo. i really would like to put the 3.55 back in just so i could stay in boost longer and i run out of gear with the 3.90 in about 1200ft-1250ft so before the 1/4
Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

it came factory with 3.55 gears and i put 3.90 gears in befor i knew i was goin turbo. i really would like to put the 3.55 back in just so i could stay in boost longer and i run out of gear with the 3.90 in about 1200ft-1250ft so before the 1/4
right... I had 4:10's when i was H/C/I and wanted to go with 3:23's but ended up with 3:08's (no one makes 3:23's for a moser 12bolt).. I am very pleased with them... help spool my 59mm turbos very quickly and obviously last forever... can't complain that 2nd gear goes 95mph... these gears combined with ET Streets mounted on 16" chrome T/A wheels, and the car will dead-hook in 2nd gear at my power level... it makes for a pretty wicked ride!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Werewolf SS
Amen, Yes the cobalts are a pain to hook.
Best bet is a solid engine and transmission mount, Better tires than the crappy P-Zero Rosso's that come with it, and some traction mods.

It's best to say cobalts are way better from a roll then from a dig.
To many factors cause the cobalt not to hook from a dig
From a roll with a few mods they give good comp to f bodys
My 2 cents
Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5301113
It's best to say cobalts are way better from a roll then from a dig.
To many factors cause the cobalt not to hook from a dig
From a roll with a alot of mods they give good comp to f bodys
My 2 cents
there fixed for ya lol
Old 12-27-2007, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by John2005
Correct and damn you ****** had to do the quick double hook like I would after I do the first hook when I race other people. I was never expecting you to use my trick.
I can't stand when people pull sh*t like that. If your going to race, do it right, without using stupid little "tricks." If you win, what satisfaction do you get by cheating? You really don't prove anything.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there fixed for ya lol
what do you consider alot of mods? Also i think a lightly modded cobalt could give a lt1 a good run from a roll.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Teching In

i consider alot of mods anything more than a cai, pully,inj, tune,and exhaust which is about what a cobalt needs to compete with a lt1

so pretty much stage 2 cobalt=lt1
more mods than stage 2 =ls1
Old 12-27-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1wannabe
what do you consider alot of mods? Also i think a lightly modded cobalt could give a lt1 a good run from a roll.
It doesnt matter what you think fanboy

A FWD car with a positive displacement blower = hello 2.5+ '60's.

It takes a considerably modded cobalt to hang with an F-body, FRUMROLL.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
It doesnt matter what you think fanboy

A FWD car with a positive displacement blower = hello 2.5+ '60's.

It takes a considerably modded cobalt to hang with an F-body, FRUMROLL.
mine must be mega modded then becuase there have been more than a few f bodies to see my taillights from a roll.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i consider alot of mods anything more than a cai, pully,inj, tune,and exhaust which is about what a cobalt needs to compete with a lt1

so pretty much stage 2 cobalt=lt1
more mods than stage 2 =ls1
I guess you shoud specfiy the pulley size becuase for $700 i was trapping 10 mph over stock running the same e.ts