Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a stock 07 350Z tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:42 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Import Al
Lol I agree with you. Are you saying that GT's are not sports cars? I don't know man, just because the F-Body is a powerful GT with a focus on drag racing & good overall handling doesn't make it not a sports car... it's still a GT sports car, not a classic sports car.
I would hardly say that the F body has a focus on drag racing. Otherwise it would have factory 15" wheels, small or no front sway bar, looser front suspension, etc. Just because it does well in drag racing does not make that its intended purpose. It was built to be a powerful car at a decent price, which it is. It also turns out that it responds well to mods.

Also, you will see a lot of people posting drag times who cars are not set up for drag racing. Street tires, no suspension mods, full weight, etc. The average driver would wreck their car on a road course from pushing it too hard, that really isnt a problem at a drag strip. Plus drag strips are much more common. So just because you see a lot of drag times posted does not make them drag cars.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread is very informative.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Specially the accurate definition of sports car....According to some I own a sport car!!!yeahh,baby!! LOL!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I would hardly say that the F body has a focus on drag racing. Otherwise it would have factory 15" wheels, small or no front sway bar, looser front suspension, etc. Just because it does well in drag racing does not make that its intended purpose. It was built to be a powerful car at a decent price, which it is. It also turns out that it responds well to mods.

Also, you will see a lot of people posting drag times who cars are not set up for drag racing. Street tires, no suspension mods, full weight, etc. The average driver would wreck their car on a road course from pushing it too hard, that really isnt a problem at a drag strip. Plus drag strips are much more common. So just because you see a lot of drag times posted does not make them drag cars.
All true, sir. But big power, decent gearing & relatively low weight all don't hurt! Drag is the most popular form of sanctioned amateur racing in the US. After 30 years of making the F-Body & people running them at the strip and having fun & success, the good word must have got to GM's designers. Thankfully they kept the "formula" the same when they created the LS1 cars, but still made them handle exceptionally well for their size & drag capabilities. Nothing wrong with a powerful car at a decent price, but I don't think their drag performance was simply a coincidence.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The term "sports car" can encompass many things such as roadsters (Miata), sport compacts (Cobalt SS), performance sedans and SUVs (Charger R/T), muscle cars (Z28), etc. It's a blanket term.

For the sake of sporting, let's play the 1/4 mile game now. Tell me which one doesn't belong in this list. Here's a hint: it rhymes with S2000.

Corvette
Fort GT
Dodge Viper
Camaro Z28
S2000

But wait! The S2K only has two seats! So do the other cars in my list except the SLOWMARO! 2+2 seating does not = sports car!!

Well, these cars don't agree:
RX-8
3000GT
456 GT
Audi TT

Yeah, I had to dig a little for the list, but it didn't take long. We can go back and forth about what makes a sports car a sports car all day long. 2 seats? IRS? 0.98 at the skidpad? 7:40 or better laptime at the Nurburgring? Less than 13.5 quartermile? Better than 1.8 60'? Traps +110?

Any car meant to compete in some type of autosport is a sports car as far as most people are concerned. If it makes 350Z owners feel cool to think that they dropped $35K on a "real sports car", fine. Is it a sports car? Absolutely.

And then you get taken in the 1/4 by a lowly Z28 or TA in what you thought was a guaranteed low 13s car just because VeeTec posted the slip. What do you say then?

"Well, at least I have a sports car. That Camaro is a cheap POS that is a non-sports-car car."

Semantics, just like Unit said.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:22 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by odarabla
I might have said that wrong. What I ment was in drag racing. But nascar uses push rod motors.
OHV and Pushrod are the same thing

Oooh, I know. Its the Honda, because it is dog *** slow.

But it doesnt rhyme with Camaro.
Just cuz it doesn't have 350lb/ft of torque, doesn't make it slow... since they can run mid-high 13s @ ~100mph (sometimes faster), it definitely falls into the "quick" category. And nobody that's ever driven one hard and fast can deny that it is one of the purest sports cars made, especially for the price. And I disagree that any car built with "sport" in mind is a sports car. Sometimes boundaries have to be set as to what falls into a category. Case in point, if you take a Miata (sports car) and drop a 502ci V8 in it, does that make it a muscle car? No... it makes it a sports car with a big *** V8 in it. If I take the backseat out of my Mustang (pony car), switch to full coilover suspension, swap in the IRS from a Cobra, and drop 500lbs, does that make it a sports car? No... it makes it a much-improved pony car.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Just cuz it doesn't have 350lb/ft of torque, doesn't make it slow... since they can run mid-high 13s @ ~100mph (sometimes faster), it definitely falls into the "quick" category. And nobody that's ever driven one hard and fast can deny that it is one of the purest sports cars made, especially for the price. And I disagree that any car built with "sport" in mind is a sports car. Sometimes boundaries have to be set as to what falls into a category. Case in point, if you take a Miata (sports car) and drop a 502ci V8 in it, does that make it a muscle car? No... it makes it a sports car with a big *** V8 in it. If I take the backseat out of my Mustang (pony car), switch to full coilover suspension, swap in the IRS from a Cobra, and drop 500lbs, does that make it a sports car? No... it makes it a much-improved pony car.
Finally, something we disagree about. Too bad it had to be something dumb like this.

One mark of a sports car is its acceleration. You can call me on "not looking hard enough" (I admit I didn't) but I haven't heard of a stock Miata breaking into the 13s, either routinely or occasionally. IIRC it's a mid-high 14s car at best.

You gave a Miata an engine with ***** - it's now a really fast Miata

You gave a Mustang a performance suspension - it's now a competent handler.

They're both still sports cars, though.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 PM
***Repost Police***

I was talking about the S2000 running 13s, not the Miata
Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was talking about the S2000 running 13s, not the Miata
I know that!

The Miata can track like its on rails all day long, but is outclassed by the S2K IMO. If the inferior Miata can be a sports car like the S2K, how can the Mustang not be? Especially with IRS and coilovers like you gave it?

EDIT: I see how you misread my post, my bad. I homed in on the Miata with mods vs Mustang with mods comparo. No comment on the S2K, which is not slow by any means. Had a very memorable drive in one.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=Irunelevens;8800202]OHV and Pushrod are the same thing

I know but thanks for clearing that up for me.. I think I just like to say it. Push rod, Push rod, OOOOHHHHHHH Push rod!! Although that did sound sorta gay.. LOL
Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Compared to the rest of that list it IS dog *** slow. Its all about the company you keep.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Launching!

I gotta pipe in on this one but I almost bought an 07 350Z before my Z28 and it doesn't have shi* on my Z28. Raced a cpl and smoked both of them. Full bolt on's , 373 pro built 4L60E, vette shift kit.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Import Al
^^^ That's the definition of the classic sports car, but IMO all "performance oriented" cars should be considered sports cars even if their layout isn't the archetypical FR, 2-seat roadster. This is a debate of semantics. In the early days of performance cars (which were mostly Euros) the fastest & most common ones to enter sport circuit racing were smaller RWD 2-seaters. The engine & suspension tech wasn't there to allow larger, heavier vehicles to accelerate, corner or brake like todays cars.

I would call ANY F-Body, Mustang, GTO, etc a sports car since its designers had a certain "sport" it would naturally compete in. This type of sports car is a "GT" or grand tourer, a car with a back seat OR 4/5 doors. High-powered RWD GT's are usually referred to as "muscle" or "pony" cars. American pony & muscle cars' sport is usually drag racing.. duh. That shouldn't make them any less of a sports car than cars that stress handling & braking more than acceleration & speed.. It's like comparing a decathlete to a 100 meter sprinter; its a flawed, lame comparison. One does many things above average but usually isn't dominant in one skill, the other is very fast/powerful but not nearly as versatile.
I understand and agree with what you are saying here, but I think I see the problem. People are seeing us saying the fbodies are not "sports cars" and assuming thats a bad thing. Being a "sports car" is no "better" than being a "muscle car" or "GT", its just a classification of the car. So when I say they are not sports car, Im not saying they don't, or cannot perform like a sports car, they are just not in that category.
Even some FWD cars are sports cars (Mini, Integra, VW's, CRX etc) because there is niche of racing they do well in & have many of their own racing classes.
I disagree with this. IMO FailWheelDrive cars are not sports cars. BUT that does not mean they are bad performance cars, or cannot perform like a sports car.
Like I say above, saying its not a "sports car" is NOT an insult, or a bad thing.
Even though the 98-02 F-Body is a GT and not a "classic" sports car like the Corvette, I've seen tests where stock SS/WS6's hit .86+ G's on the skidpad, do high 60's (mph) through the slalom & lane change maneuvers & brake from 60-0 mph in appx 125 ft. Is that better than an EVO, STi, 350Z, S2000 blah blah? No, but its certainly no sloppy mess either & was built focusing on performance in a whole different "sport" which it would dominate any of the above cars handily and still edge out the '07 350Z as evidenced by the OP's tale.
What if a company built a truck that could pull .90Gs on the skidpad, run 12s in the 1/4 mile and brake 60-0mph in 100ft, would that be a sports car then? No, it would be a performance truck. Does that mean it cannot beat sports cars? Hell no, it just means isn't a sports car.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Well, these cars don't agree:
RX-8
3000GT
456 GT
Audi TT
Those are GTs. (hence the "GT" after 2 of them)
Old 02-26-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This is incorrect. Overhead cam engines (OHC) are also overhead valve (OHV) engines and do not have pushrods. OHV means that the valves are over the piston not in the block next to the cylinder bore like flatheads were. It has nothing to do with where the cam is located.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
This is incorrect. Overhead cam engines (OHC) are also overhead valve (OHV) engines and do not have pushrods. OHV means that the valves are over the piston not in the block next to the cylinder bore like flatheads were. It has nothing to do with where the cam is located.
Overhead valve engines are pushrod engines, Overhead cam engines are overhead cam engines.
http://www.samarins.com/glossary/dohc.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_valve
Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
True. But it has become typical for cam in block/pushrod engines with OHV to be simply referred to as OHV. I guess just another way things get simplified or dumbed down.
Its funny to see that flatheads are still in use, like in small engines. Just sheap and easy to manufacture.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Overhead valve engines are pushrod engines, Overhead cam engines are overhead cam engines.
http://www.samarins.com/glossary/dohc.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_valve
Directly from your link-
"In automotive engineering, an overhead valve internal combustion engine is one in which the intake and exhaust valves and ports are contained in the cylinder head." Therefore, according to your link, OHC engines are also in fact OHV.
Like he said, the term was originally intended to differentiate between flatheads, which had the valvetrain in the block, and engines with the valves in the cylinder head, or over the piston instead of next to it in the block.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by odarabla
You forgot the supra!! Toyota calls it a sports car!!!
Its a GT car. There's no other catergory to label it as.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

Oooh, I know. Its the Honda, because it is dog *** slow.

But it doesnt rhyme with Camaro.
A Lotus is a tad bit quicker than an S2k. So do you not consider this a sports car?

A camaro is not in the same league as an S2k on a track. Granted it might pull similar times, but thats due to the power advantage on the staights.

Ask any Corvette, Evo, Miata, Porsche, Viper owner, about the capabilites/differences in the cars and they will tend to agree with me. You need to modify the suspension to a camaro, just to hang with an S2k.

Quick Reply: Ran a stock 07 350Z tonight.