Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ATT: C5Zs Let’s Settle this…

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good runs. Props to both of you for showing how its supposed to be. Friendly and fun.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JD_Z28 was talking about aerodynamics and it is funny how this cobra started to slowly pull away from the Z on 4th gear which is around 110-120mph. lol
Had the vette owner powershifted that wouldn't have happened...ah well props to both for running on short notice
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
Had the vette owner powershifted that wouldn't have happened...
cobra wa snot powershifting also.
just pay attention to the end of the race. both drivers done with shifting, their foot is on the floor, cars are playing the game not the drivers at that point and cobra was simply slowly pulling ahead.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doodad
cobra wa snot powershifting also.
just pay attention to the end of the race. both drivers done with shifting, their foot is on the floor, cars are playing the game not the drivers at that point and cobra was simply slowly pulling ahead.

QFT

dont ruin a good thread w/ all sorts of what-ifs

congrats to both parties on some good runs
Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Yeah I was not power shifting, Not sure if he was, but I know he'll chime in about that. And like I said, I've only had the car for like 2 months, so my driving of the car might not have been the absolute best. But It's clear to see considering I got the better launch, and from all the roll races, that the power advantage was still too great.

Only time I short shifted, is when he was already pulling ahead, because the point was already proven.

And of course aerodynamics didn't play a part in the race... I had my two HUGE air brakes up (headlights)

Last edited by Savior1974; 02-27-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Teching In

lol its funny how you guys still make excuses about the race even tho you just saw what happened.. If it was a hard top it would have been even worse get over it. It was 2 guys out having some fun and the cobra won this time.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savior1974
Yeah I was not power shifting, Not sure if he was, but I know he'll chime in about that. And like I said, I've only had the car for like 2 months, so my driving of the car might not have been the absolute best. But It's clear to see considering I got the better launch, and from all the roll races, that the power advantage was still too great.

Only time I short shifted, is when he was already pulling ahead, because the point was already proven.

And of course aerodynamics didn't play a part in the race... I had my two HUGE air brakes up (headlights)
Did you have it in Comp mode? How was traction for the both of you?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kokingSS
nice kill to the cobra. did you have any traction issues on either part?
Well, the first 2 freeway runs we did I completely roasted 1st and 2nd gear (30-35 roll). We had to spend a little time trying to figure out what mph to do. I wanted 40, he wanted 30. So what we eventually agreed on was 35 mph, I had to start in second to avoid wheel spin.

And the car was in competition mode.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blown 03
lol its funny how you guys still make excuses about the race even tho you just saw what happened.. If it was a hard top it would have been even worse get over it. It was 2 guys out having some fun and the cobra won this time.
If is was a hard top, I would not have been driving my car (270lb), and the subs would not have been in (like 30lbs). I did that cause I figured it would probably cancel out the weight addition of his car being a vert.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

If is was a hard top, I would not have been driving my car (270lb), and the subs would not have been in (like 30lbs). I did that cause I figured it would probably cancel out the weight addition of his car being a vert.
why wouldnt u drive it? you are like 70lbs more than avarage and i doubt that would save you or save other driver. 70lbs is not crazy because coupe is already way heavier than your car. FYI.

P.S. wtf is QFT ??
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why wouldnt u drive it? you are like 70lbs more than avarage and i doubt that would save you or save other driver. 70lbs is not crazy because coupe is already way heavier than your car. FYI.

P.S. wtf is QFT ??
quoted for truth

enough excuses, his is on the slower end of the pullied cobra spectrum

only 2.93 upper, cats, weight, etc.

2.93 upper, K&N filter, xpipe w/cats @ catback..

I also have her weighed down with an aftermarket stereo system, lightbar, strut tower brace, IRS brace and subframes..
275 nittos in the rear.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Teching In

P.S. wtf is QFT ??

QFT= Quit ******* trying
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
quoted for truth

I also have her weighed down with an aftermarket stereo system, lightbar, strut tower brace, IRS brace and subframes..
275 nittos in the rear.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Lets not ruin this thread with what ifs guys. It was a great race between two great cars.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
quoted for truth

275 nittos in the rear.
See, this is why I almost told him to forget about the run, I knew this was gonna happen. People we gonna throw up the "It's a vert, Its got Cat's, Its got the 2.93 as opposed to the 2.80, what if it was a coupe....... blah blah blah"

The debate was that cobra's needed at least 100whp over the C5Z to keep up, and the OP from the other thread claimed to beat a 450whp cobra. No one is saying that EVERY PULLIED COBRA WILL GET PULLED by a C5Z because every car is different. Only thing that was tested, was would a cobra with 100whp more than a C5Z be able to pull it, and the answer is yes. But the runs would be close.

You cobra guys are making this out to be more than it is....
Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See, this is why I almost told him to forget about the run, I knew this was gonna happen. People we gonna throw up the "It's a vert, Its got Cat's, Its got the 2.93 as opposed to the 2.80, what if it was a coupe....... blah blah blah"

The debate was that cobra's needed at least 100whp over the C5Z to keep up, and the OP from the other thread claimed to beat a 450whp cobra. No one is saying that EVERY PULLIED COBRA WILL GET PULLED by a C5Z because every car is different. Only thing that was tested, was would a cobra with 100whp more than a C5Z be able to pull it, and the answer is yes. But the runs would be close.

You cobra guys are making this out to be more than it is....
i think you're taking what i said wrong. my point was there are what-ifs for everything, so its a waste of time and detracts from your runs to bring them up. take it for what its worth, a stock z06 racing a pullied vert. thats all.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Good run.

That cobra is strong.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?
I just found this thread.... Why didnt you PM me Savior you know I'm 10 min away from moval.... Me and my bro would have taken our stock Z06's out there............. anyways good runs.
do i hear rematch?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea but "what if" you would have had drag radials? that cobra would have been toast
Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 PM

This thread was great last night and all seemed to be a thread that wouldn't lead to to much bs, but here it comes. Now everyone is adding two cents on why this or that happened, makes it pointless that Savior and Snake even raced.

Both of the Drivers had no excuses, had a good time and it was all fun and in the spirit of competition. Now people are saying maybe because Savior didn't powershift, but I don't believe the cobra was either. Yes Savior was in Comp mod for every run, In his 2 month experience he managed to out launch the Cobra who was on Nittos. Both drivers did fine, and the races were great.

Please do not start making excuses and what ifs, this was a good race and just friendly competition to prove a point.

Quick Reply: ATT: C5Zs Let’s Settle this…