Originally Posted by unit213
I support all US OEM's.
Same here.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:53 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Not a $80,000 car at least.

The launch control feature isn't designed to be used in consecutive drag runs, it will simply burn out the clutch. And considering its an automated manual, I can only imagine the bill for a new clutch system would be somewhere in the few thousand dollar range. With the weight of the car and the fact that launch control revs the engine up near redline and drops the clutch, I can't see the clutch system lasting for more than about 8-10 hard launches. And if you don't use the launch control feature and save the clutch, you sure as hell aren't going to be running any 11.5's. More like low 12's, so right up there with an LS3 Vette which costs $30,000 less.

If I'm going to buy a car to go fast, I don't want a vehicle that compromises durability to do so. Hence why something like the Corvette is much better in my opinion - lower weight, more power, RWD, and a strong drivetrain that can take the abuse of track duty and racing without needing expensive driveline components replaced.
Going by "what most people would do" is a retarded way of comparing cars. And I believe that the launch control for the GT-R *only* revs up to 4,500rpm, so that's not exactly "near redline."
Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM

I know the Skyline in question. It is actually much worse than everyone has given it credit for. calling it a GTS-T would be an UPGRADE to what it really is. It is an R34 GT-T basically the same as a GTS-T only worse. It just has the R34 body lines, nothing more.

Skylines really aren't supercars out of the box....even the GTR is nothing special. By the same token, even the almighty 2JZ Supra was nothing special in stock form. Yes with heavy modification the RB26 and 2JZ can be made into a real powerhouse but neither are not great stock.

HOWEVER, once modified they do make a much better statement.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Twinsnails
I know the Skyline in question. It is actually much worse than everyone has given it credit for. calling it a GTS-T would be an UPGRADE to what it really is. It is an R34 GT-T basically the same as a GTS-T only worse. It just has the R34 body lines, nothing more.

Skylines really aren't supercars out of the box....even the GTR is nothing special. By the same token, even the almighty 2JZ Supra was nothing special in stock form. Yes with heavy modification the RB26 and 2JZ can be made into a real powerhouse but neither are not great stock.

True, but that can be said for almost any engine.

So why start at a disadvantage by trying to build up a small displacement 6 cylinder?? Its pointless.

Start with a good platform and build from there. Not to mention those engines are some of the most expensive to build, modify, and maintain, short of European exotics.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 PM

True and a valid point. I guess it is a little different than the norm. But among the 6 cylinder platforms the RB26 and 2JZ will handicap you for making big power.....the least. If that makes any sense at all.

Last edited by Twinsnails; 03-28-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder where this will go.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Shouldn't really twist off into anything really. For the same money a larger displacement motor will get big power. Facts are facts. Everyone chooses their platform, that's why there are options out there. It's just simply choices. SOme choose a 6 cylinder over an8 or a 4 or a 10 or what have you. We all modify them like we choose to and that's that. Nowhere to go really. I have fought up and down for years over the RB vs. 2JZ and the "no replacement for displacement" and at the end of the day here I am, no better no worse. I still have an RB others still have the platform of their choice so I am not here to e-fight. Just pointing out the car in question on this thread and a clarification of the Skyline's capabilities. Nothing more.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Update - British magazine CAR just tested one vs. an R8 and Porsche TT (and one other car) around a tight road circuit. It lapped the quickest; over the Porsche by 1sec.

HOWEVER, the Porsche had a 5mph higher peak speed on the straight. I think Nissan perhaps making some pretty tall claims when the car finally arrives...
Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Twinsnails

EXACTLY what I've been saying for years.

Of course the required response from the import worshippers/pimps for Japan is, "but who leaves their ride stock?".
My response is, "Some do, and once you do so much as a 'fish tank valve' (or a lid/intake system), let alone tunes/'BPUs', etc., EVERYTHING goes out the window".
IMO, the ONLY way to empirically compare two (or more) cars is PURE, BONE, F'ING STOCK to STOCK. Period, end of story.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by dailydriver

Of course the required response from the import worshippers/pimps for Japan is, "but who leaves their ride stock?".
My response is, "Some do, and once you do so much as a 'fish tank valve' (or a lid/intake system), let alone tunes/'BPUs', etc., EVERYTHING goes out the window".
IMO, the ONLY way to empirically compare two (or more) cars is PURE, BONE, F'ING STOCK to STOCK. Period, end of story.

I would say yes and no to that. If you take a $500,000 Carrera GT vs. a $50,000 Vette.....stock for stock that isn't all that fair. However dollar for dollar may be a bit better. Unfortunately even that wouldn't work unless restrictions were placed on the modifications done with any surplus money from the purchase price of one to another. I guess all in all it's comparing apples to oranges.

The bottom line should be....as long as the owner is happy with the way any car turns out that should be all that matters.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dailydriver

So the C6Z gets held back by its runflats against cars that cost twice as much and run on Yoko A048 R-Compounds?

Some mods are not going to do anything more than show what the car can do. Tires a are a wear part, so are brake pads. so I dont se why you cant compare cras with mods like that.

Now upping the boost is a different story. Thats a much more involved thing if you want to do it right, and definitely revokes 'stock' status.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sparetire
So the C6Z gets held back by its runflats against cars that cost twice as much and run on Yoko A048 R-Compounds?

Some mods are not going to do anything more than show what the car can do. Tires a are a wear part, so are brake pads. so I dont se why you cant compare cras with mods like that.

Now upping the boost is a different story. Thats a much more involved thing if you want to do it right, and definitely revokes 'stock' status.
NO arguements with that!!
I TOTALLY agree. I was inferring power adding mods (since that is all most on this forum care about anyway), but I should have specified/stated that more clearly.
'Consumables' in stock sizes/configurations/etc. should be allowed.
Mentioning the 'fish tank valve' was kind of a razz to all of the azzhat/smug MKIV TT boyzz that were on the old LS1.com kill sections, and 'telephone gamed'/BSed the cheap, manual boost controller mod into something that would produce low-mid 11 second runs out of otherwise bone stock Supras!!
Sorry fanbois, THAT ain't happening!!
Old 03-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Um... I can't go a mile down the road without seeing a Camaro. Mustangs might have been more popular, but they're both pretty damn common.
well true but i dont see half as many LS1 cars in my area as late model gt's there are over 25 gt's at the local hang out and 7 ls1 cars

if we were counting all years the ratio would be worse but v6 camaro's n firebirds dont come around out there to often besides the ricers most of the cars are somewhat fast
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

What exactly are we discussing at this point???
Power capability, they're both plenty capable (most any car is).
It all depends what you're into.
I'm more into road racing then the 1320 now personally.
Straight lines got pretty boring, pretty quick. Then my Z28 was stolen... LOL
Never drive your LSX to your community college when you have 4 classes in one day over the course of 7 hours, or atleast check on it from time to time...

Damn this thread is pretty old, never mind.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Damn this thread is pretty old, never mind.
But yet you still brought it back.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
But yet you still brought it back.
That was in the edit I made at a later time. But Okie Dokie...