Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

CRX vs Camaro SS need help plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 03:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CRX vs Camaro SS need help plz

hello all I have a question for ya all. This little bitch in a blue CRX wants to race me and I have my reasons why I very much HAVE TO beat his little *** all over god's green earth. He has a GSR motor, turbo, and NOS plus back seats taken out. I have a 2002 Camaro SS options are listed in sig below. Have the stock 3.42 gears and was wondering if I would beat him and if not what do I need. (be reasonable no $5,000 add-ons hehe ) This is not about having a good ole fun race this little **** needs to go down in the worst possible way.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: CRX vs Camaro SS need help plz

I dunno... those damn CRXs can get pretty quick, if it's a GSR motor with turbo and nitrous, your probably in pretty big trouble IT COULD DEFINITIELY GET UGLY. I'd say do a big cam and heads, and you may have a chance... gears would help too. I'd say go with 3.73s... a dry 100-shot of n20 wouldn't hurt either. With all of those, you should take him. I dunno though, if this CRX has all the **** he says it does, it's probably pretty damn fast. Be careful.

Glad to see somebody else is up as late as me, insomnia is a bitch especially when your used to partying til 4AM every night for a 2 week vacation, then the weeknights come along and knock you on your ***.

and NOS
Please tell me you didn't just say NAAAWSSSS! ARRRRGH!!!!
Old 07-23-2003, 04:17 AM
TECH Regular

Really...my friend said he knows someone thats a honda tech who has a civic with a motor swap and turbo and he only runs mid 13's. I dont think he can put a real high nitrious shot with that motor because wont it blow.
EDIT: i have been looking at some GSR motor civic hatchbacks that are heavily modded and only run in the 15's will a turbo and nitrious do that much for that little four banger?
Old 07-23-2003, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't know what the CRX will run, but I can tell you what you should run. First off, you don't have a single performance mod(I don't consider a lid a mod). That's a problem. Those SLP premium floor mats aren't going to help you win a race. It looks like your car is pretty heavy so I'd say it should run 13.1 @ 108mph in the 1/4. That's if you drive it pretty well. You'd better get some drag radials if you're going to run on the street.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:01 AM
Stu
TECH Resident

TIRES!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless he can really drive then your screwed.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

whats the car look like? is it bling blingin with euro tail lights and big chrome wheels? if so you wont have any trouble. now if its all stock on the outside save for some tint and small racing wheels then youre probably in trouble. get some drag radials and spray and youll probably win unless hes got one serious car. also a cutout would be a quick cheap mod that would show a good gain if youre short on cash, that plus a set of DR's would cut a good 3 to 4 tenths off your 1/4's.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:18 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the spray and DR's.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

i wanna say tires and a shot. that should be under a grand. a local here runs 12 sec in a crx with a gsr motor and turbo+nirtous and weight reduction.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:58 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NX 150 wet kit, BFG Drag radials....those two mods will get you an easy 1.5 seconds at the track and will be great for the street (may want to use 100 hp jets if you cant do tuning). I wouldnt do a thing else, because these two are not very noticable (i.e. sound, looks) to an indiot in a Honda. Its the only thing you can do realistically for under $1000 that will make a big difference on the street....you should be low 12's pretty easy with this set up.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

CRX's are dangerous, you have to look at hp to weight ratio, my good friend had a 1990hx crx with a b16a (less hp than a gsr) motor and a jackson racing supercharger w/12lbs pulley, exhaust .etc, with et's he ran low 7's in the 1/8 mile, dead even with my corvette from 20-100. You say this guy has spray too, he will probably beat you.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say 100-150 wetshot, some tires and a cutout. That should do ya
Old 07-23-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

My first question would be, "Where are you gonna race?"....at the track...on the street...from a dig.....roll??? The reason I ask is because if he is putting out enough power to wax you he will NOT be able to put it to the street from a dead dig....unless he has those roll bar thingies that put positive pressure on the front wheels. SO, while everyone else's performance suggestions are good, my first suggestion would be to race him from a dead dig for traction reasons and because it is hard as hell for them to have everything spooled up from a dead stop.
Take this from someone who has been spanked by a CRX. The guy posted on here after I posted my death. I doubt he watches this forum but it would be nice if we could here from him. He said he would humor me from a dead dig but that hasn't happened yet. He has NO traction.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's a guy down here with a gsr swap in his 4 door civic that ran 12.7's at 112. That was at 8psi of boost. I am pretty sure that a crx weighs about 3-400 lbs less. So expect a low 12 high 11 sec car.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

If he has a lot of ricey junk on his car he's probably a poser.

If he's allowed to run with scissors, and has 24" slicks on the front, then you might need to be worried. There was a IN guy with a Honda hatch that was going 11.7@123mph with a turbo and built motor. No nawz.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea be careful i know a guyw ith a gutted bone stock looking crx with a built ls-vtec turbo and i watched him run a 12.41 on drag radials so you be the judge
Old 07-23-2003, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Well honestly i dont think this guy has the correct setup that everyone here is thinking. This is the same dude that has blown 2 motors all ready doesnt know how to shift or race...i dont think i will even have to race him because in a week i think he will blow his car up anyway and yes he is all about the bling bling.

EDIT: and btw i do have more mods then a airbox lid this car is pretty damn fast for what i have. I walk my friend with a 97 SS he has headers, cam, TB, rocker arms, catback and 3.73 gears. i think i will stand a very good chance
Old 07-23-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

enought talk race than punkass
Old 07-23-2003, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

and btw i do have more mods then a airbox lid this car is pretty damn fast for what i have. I walk my friend with a 97 SS he has headers, cam, TB, rocker arms, catback and 3.73 gears. i think i will stand a very good chance
Sounds like your friend needs to learn to drive imo...
Old 07-23-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a big difference in a 97 SS and a 02 SS.
But anyway, if you race on the street just worry about getting traction, Hondas have NONE on the street so you can kill him off the line. Buy a $500 nitrous kit and a good set of tires, I think you'll be okay, it's rare to find a properly setup turbo Honda with a good driver these days.
Good luck!

Jeffrey
Old 07-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

EDIT: and btw i do have more mods then a airbox lid this car is pretty damn fast for what i have. I walk my friend with a 97 SS he has headers, cam, TB, rocker arms, catback and 3.73 gears. i think i will stand a very good chance
Well they certainly aren't in your sig. That's all we have to go on unless you tell us. The SLP CAI will give you a tenth, maybe two. Big deal. The MAF gives you nothing. What else do you have that isn't listed?