Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a GT500 last night..nice car

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Well the GT500 and Corvette aren't meant to compete, regardless of how car magazines and dealerships like to paint them as "rivals." Completely different cars, for completely different experiences.
Well I think that you have to compare them when your talking $$$$'s they are about the same price so your talking bang for your buck.
Now taste wise thats just anyone opnion I cant fight that. I like them both but if it came down to it I'd have to go with the vett thats just me.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLACK2001SS
Well I think that you have to compare them when your talking $$$$'s they are about the same price so your talking bang for your buck.
Now taste wise thats just anyone opnion I cant fight that. I like them both but if it came down to it I'd have to go with the vett thats just me.
in regards to "bang for the buck" with new cars, it's almost unfair to compare anything to a C6 Corvette seeing as how you can get a base 1LT model for 39K at the right dealership. Nothing can touch it at that price point. You have to spend another 30K+ to find something that will beat it and even then your just talking about the Z06 Corvette.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
***Repost Police***

Well in that case we're gonna have to compare the Nissan Murano to the Suburban... they are about the same price
Old 03-25-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matsarge
in regards to "bang for the buck" with new cars, it's almost unfair to compare anything to a C6 Corvette seeing as how you can get a base 1LT model for 39K at the right dealership. Nothing can touch it at that price point. You have to spend another 30K+ to find something that will beat it and even then your just talking about the Z06 Corvette.

Yep!
YOu know if the GT500 was a better preforming car I dont have a problem saying it I have a ford dodge chevy and pontiac I'm not partial to any brands.
But on that note why cant these guys admit that the car is better I mean come on!! haha.
Its like their ego is way to big they will never admit that A car that caust near is much is just over all better.
I love the GT500 it looks sweet but come on!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Yep!
YOu know if the GT500 was a better preforming car I dont have a problem saying it I have a ford dodge chevy and pontiac I'm not partial to any brands.
But on that note why cant these guys admit that the car is better I mean come on!! haha.
Its like their ego is way to big they will never admit that A car that caust near is much is just over all better.
I love the GT500 it looks sweet but come on!!!
I'm not a badge ***** either, I'm a "car guy" and always have been. I like Mustangs, 442's, Roadrunners, GTO's, M3's, M5's, new SRT8's, you name it. I owned a E46 M3 that I traded in for the Vette. But if I'm going to spend 40k or more on a "sports" or "performance" car, it better do more then just go fast in a straight line. That's the issue I have with most new models of "sports" cars. They look good, they have good looking HP and TQ numbers and they are comfortable, but they are crap on a track. Not that I spend alot of time on a track, that's the thing that sold me on the Corvette. I can run with just about anything in a straight line, then I can pull the car off the straight line and on to a road course and run with just about anything there too. All for less then 50K. I spent more then that on the M3 and as good as the M3 was, the Corvette runs circle around it.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not to mention comparing a 2+2 car to a 2 seater

its apples to oranges, but i guess people have to continue the ford vs. chevy thing, even though gm doesnt have a pony car, or any car in competition w/ the mustang for that matter.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
i thought it was 12.4 on stickies and 12.8 stock fully loaded. but idk..
Sound right.

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
I don't think you are correct. MMFF got 12.2 out of the GT500 stock. I don't think a car that weighs as much with 123 less BHP is going to run a 12.2even with sticky tires. The 07 427R runs 13.0 on stock tires and to my knowledge is not available with an auto.

You have a link to that MMFF article?
I tried to find a link,but couldnt.Then again i just glanced through the article at wally world the other day and those numbers stuck out to me for some reason.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it dosen't surprise me on bit that you out ran that GT500. In car and driver the 07 C6 out ran the GT500 in every catagory and the C6 is 400hp and the GT is of course 500. So good kill man!!! Ford still don't have **** on us! (and they still have to supercharge everything!) GM FOREVER BABY!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sway99bird
it dosen't surprise me on bit that you out ran that GT500. In car and driver the 07 C6 out ran the GT500 in every catagory and the C6 is 400hp and the GT is of course 500. So good kill man!!! Ford still don't have **** on us! (and they still have to supercharge everything!) GM FOREVER BABY!!!!!!!!
More magazine racers?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unit213
OP - great kill on the GT500.
thanks! It's hard to find one and even harder to find one that will run hard. I'm just happy I have better idea of what my car is capable of. It's hard to find good "measuring sticks" out there.

BTW, nice Cobra..
Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Well in that case we're gonna have to compare the Nissan Murano to the Suburban... they are about the same price

Ok I give in the Vett even though its the same price as the GT500 give or take, Is way out of Ford league and we shouldent even compare them because they are way better, does that sound better?
lol
YOu have to compare them, I compare the Vett to all sports cars because the vett for now is the standard.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I give in the Vett even though its the same price as the GT500 give or take, Is way out of Ford league and we shouldent even compare them because they are way better, does that sound better?
lol
YOu have to compare them, I compare the Vett to all sports cars because the vett for now is the standard.
The Corvette is the standard for SPORT COUPES over 40k IMO
Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
The Corvette is the standard for SPORT COUPES over 40k IMO
amen to that. ...Just go to any "speciality" car fourm and what car usually is the measuring stick when it comes to the "what do I need to beat this" question, it's the Corvette. Love or hate it, it's the car everyone wants to beat and it's the car that people get most excited about when they beat one.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

amen to that. ...Just go to any "speciality" car fourm and what car usually is the measuring stick when it comes to the "what do I need to beat this" question, it's the Corvette. Love or hate it, it's the car everyone wants to beat and it's the car that people get most excited about when they beat one.
It definitely draws attention wherever you go. When you say you beat a Vette, people will almost instantly recognize your car as "fast" even if they know nothing about cars.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Vett's are slow.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
Vett's are slow.
I was waiting for someone to say that...

There are definitely faster things out there but I like what I got. Spent less then 50K between car and mods and I can run with cars that cost 2X that or more. Very, very short list of new cars that can say that.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Still not as slow as F-body's!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a sports car haha the camaro SS could have been optioned out to hit 40 in 02, with discounts you can get a C6 today for just a hair under 40 the mustang GT500 I've seen for 48,000.
The Mustang has 2 back seats but who the hell can fit back their, so its impratical to say its a 4 seater and thats why you bought it haha. I mean come on. I think its an ego thing I bet that 100% of the guys that owne a GT500 think that its faster than a vett because of it 500 hp over the verry small amout of 400 hp that the vett has haha.

Ok then whats fair to compare then my 01 camaro to a 08 GT500? Well maby with my car not fair but stock form? a stock 02 camaro for 24,000 with 350 hp or so to a GT500 for 48,000 with 500 hp? Might not be fare but I still compare them.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy the way I just look at this as a fun debate I'm not getting excited or trying to **** too many people off haha.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Still not as slow as F-body's!
Vett's are an old mans last grasp at youth!