Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I got called out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 86MonteSS
so, you tell me since you own both a 1G DSM and a 99 FRC. should i have won that? haha. or did he give it to me?
+1...
Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

so, you tell me since you own both a 1G DSM and a 99 FRC. should i have won that? haha. or did he give it to me?
Going by the way you guys described the car, sounds like he let you win. If you're out 3 cars, even with the hit, to an AWD car on drag radials then I would say he was taking it easy.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always like to read these stories. Since as you can see from my sig have both dsms and f bodies. I can't see any car not awd beating an awd dsm off the line unless you have nittos minimum and something like et street radials if you are running big power.
Awd on street tires can do amazing 60fts. 1.7 or even 1.6 is doable. On drag tires 60fts can be like 1.4 think record is like 1.2.

That said there are lots of tricks and things with the dsms in terms of tuning and things like having a stutterbox or using antilag or no lift to shift. All the previous are things available in software programs some of it you can flash onto the ecu chip.
Stutterbox lets you build boost at the line by bascially bouncing off the set limit. This usually will give like 5ps or so at the line. Anitilag can give like 20psi at the line. No lift to shift just allows poweshifting with foot to the floor with less chance of hurting things from misses shifts. And you have to upgrade the clutch for much over stock power levels, the stock dsm clutches are wimpy. Clutches are cheap though like 400 bucks.

Dsms are easy to mod from their stock 200 or so hp to around 300 on the stock turbo. The fwd weigh around 2800 the awd are around 3100 about same weight as newer vettes. Fwd as said need drag tires to hook up with much above stock power.

So if the vette got jump he likely let him or has shot clutch or no stutterbox or just didn't take it up high enough. Launching dsm is a lot like manual ls1. You can easily bog or spin ,you have to find the right rpms and talon trannies are not that great for fast shifting. They can be a weak point and are usually upgraded.

Anyway even if you beat that car and it was at 19psi he could of course just turn up the boost and throw in some race gas. Heck you can make race gas with xylene or toluene both of which you can buy at local paint store although they might be restricted some places since think they are also ingredients for crystal meth. A properly supported evo big 16 can run well into the high twenties for boost and do 400 engine hp pretty easily at higher boost levels. 500 hp turbo is just 800 bucks or so. And support for 500 engine hp is not much different from 400 engine hp. Bigger injectors is pretty much it. Assuming person has some way to tune the car with any of these upgrades. And this guy at least had the big fmic although some ebay intercoolers can be big but still junk.

Anyway some of you f body guys might like to test drive a dsm if you get a chance. They are big fun and are great to drive all year round in all sorts of crappy weather when your f body is sleeping.They can be expensive to maintain and they are getting older of course. Too bad the new eclipse so far is not awd or turbo. They have made think prototypes of these though so maybe will get one in the future. New nissan skyline is interesting with both awd and twin turbo v6 engine . Very nice car. But 70,000 also.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the response man...very educational...Its just bullshit that this ******* tried to hustle us, when we clearly knew it had more than what he was saying. Guy is a typical ricer though, bought the car as is, never really turned a wrench in his life...Its a shame my buddy is leaving for the military on the 29th...not enough time to throw in the new ORX pipe and some spray...Talon refused a roll race...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

My DSM has a small turbo on it and it is faster than my Corvette...but how good can a 17 year old kid drive some car that he just bought...these cars can be tricky to shift 1st to 2nd. Honestly from your story I have no clue what that kids car is capable of. Could you smell race gas? You gonna take his word about 19lbs when he told you its a FWD? lol...How do you even know its a 16g? Like it was mentioned earlier by somebody DSM's are great platforms for making a quick little street car.

If the car has Cams,FMIC,19psi on 16g, and drag radials..I am sure you won that race due to the kid not knowing what he was doing. Who knows what else it has...these simple setups can make big power
Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4psi
My DSM has a small turbo on it and it is faster than my Corvette...but how good can a 17 year old kid drive some car that he just bought...these cars can be tricky to shift 1st to 2nd. Honestly from your story I have no clue what that kids car is capable of. Could you smell race gas? You gonna take his word about 19lbs when he told you its a FWD? lol...How do you even know its a 16g? Like it was mentioned earlier by somebody DSM's are great platforms for making a quick little street car.

If the car has Cams,FMIC,19psi on 16g, and drag radials..I am sure you won that race due to the kid not knowing what he was doing. Who knows what else it has...these simple setups can make big power
The guy was in his mid 20s, and we discovered that this is his new car because he blew up his S R T-4 roll racing. Couldn't smell race gas, but when he banged 2nd gear, black smoke shot out of his exhaust. I don't believe it was 19lbs of boost at all with the way it chirped all 4 drag radials in 2nd. But as stated in this story, we don't know what turbo or what else is done besides cams and exhaust. He was trying to hustle us, so he wouldn't pop the hood. Even after the vette won, he wouldn't pop it. To me thats some ricer bullshit. If you're a true car enthusiast, you should be proud to show off what you got, especially if a 4 cylinder can take down a vette. This guy bought the car as it sits and probably hasn't turned a wrench in his life. He's just another douchebag with a fast car.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

This kid sounds like a typical idiot DSM ricer.

Its very common, nothing to be surprised about. Always trying to bullshit someone so that they can take advantage. People need to get a life, just say what you've got, line em up, and see whose car is faster. I hate stupid ricers that try to pretend their shitty looking cars are stock when its obvious just based on the **** poor driveability and erratic idle.

Gotta love the drag radials and black smoke, that drivetrain will be scrap metal within a few hundred miles, and the engine will probably suffer a similar fate. You'd think DSM ricers are a dying breed with the cars being so old and their quality being so poor. Unfortunately, there seems to still be all too many of them around.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Going by the way you guys described the car, sounds like he let you win. If you're out 3 cars, even with the hit, to an AWD car on drag radials then I would say he was taking it easy.
What He said.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
This kid sounds like a typical idiot DSM ricer.

Its very common, nothing to be surprised about. Always trying to bullshit someone so that they can take advantage. People need to get a life, just say what you've got, line em up, and see whose car is faster. I hate stupid ricers that try to pretend their shitty looking cars are stock when its obvious just based on the **** poor driveability and erratic idle.

Gotta love the drag radials and black smoke, that drivetrain will be scrap metal within a few hundred miles, and the engine will probably suffer a similar fate. You'd think DSM ricers are a dying breed with the cars being so old and their quality being so poor. Unfortunately, there seems to still be all too many of them around.
What makes this kid sound like a "ricer"?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

trust me, if you were there,you would understand how much he was, i'm not saying his car was ricer, because it was certainly ***** fast...BUT...he was lying about his mods, making up BS excuses that his hood doesn't open, the side panels with the AWD sticker on them comment, etc. Typical hustler BS...remember...the car doesn't make you a ricer, the attitude does...
Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Teching In

he might have just been afraid to launch it real high, that power with those tires is going to snap something real quick...

the fact that he wouldnt pop the hood would have been an immediate red flag to me, all of the fast imports try to pull that same hustle on domestic owners around here all the time... funny that the vette took his money though
Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
...Its just bullshit that this ******* tried to hustle us, when we clearly knew it had more than what he was saying.
I think it's funny as hell that you keep trying to give this guy **** for hustling and yet you were the one a page or two back who was wanting to hid a bottle in your car to take this guy out.

... as previously mentioned, a good example of "pot meet kettle".
Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

I kinda skipped over to the end to reply, so hope I didn't miss anything important but...I used to own a 16g dsm and am pretty knowledgable on them, they are great cars to make fast (unreliable but that's how it is when somethings cheap and easy to make fast).

When I hear 16g at 19psi, the first thing that come's to mind is anywhere between 260 to 300whp. I used to have a 300whp 16g and would beat stock t/a's pretty easily. But I would really need more info on the car, a lot of it depends on the supporting mods, I've seen 16g dsms that are slower than 14b dsms, which are the stock turbo dsms. Idk if I missed it but does he have a fmic, that's pretty neccessary with a 16g otherwise he might as well have kept the 14b. Also what is he tuning with, I'm assuming s-afc or dsmlink, big difference with the 2 and dsmlink can yeild a good deal more power, but s-afc 16g dsms are known to reach up to 300whp as well.

It's a tough call, I'd need more info, I would think he will win if he knows what he's doing, there's a chance he could bog the launch which is pretty common for people who don't know what they're doing with an awd, that would eliminate his awd advantage, but dsms even awd are still a good deal lighter than fbody's, around 3000-3100 compared to what is it around 3400 for the fbody's right? And the whp figure I gave of 260-300whp is to all 4 wheels, that should be enough to beat a stock fbody after drivetrain loss, but like I said I'd need more info, it'd be a cool race if it wasn't for money, try to convince em to race for fun, tell em to stop trying to buy you out and that you only have a stock t/a, tell em if he really wants to race for money you'll get radials and spray and then you'll both be modded...I'm curious what he'd have to say then...

edit: also if he's got a 16g dsm I don't think he's a ricer...there's a good bang for the buck turbo's for dsms, I don't see how a dsm make's someone a ricer of all cars, they're tried and pruven, see for yourself. Also I just saw that you were auto, and without the ls6 intake mani...my 98 a4 was slow as ***** compared to my old 16g dsm, have you been to the track yet? You might be dissapointed with your time's aspecially on a hot day, I thought your car was an m6 I'm sorry but I do think he'll beat you...you never know but if he knows what he's doing he should beat you and keep pulling away even after the launch, but like I said i've seen 16g's slower than the stock turbo 14b's, so ya never know...

Last edited by jimmy169; 04-08-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

i understand that its small in relation to things, but someone here mentioned a small and big version of the 16g? I have my mind set that 19lbs is a lot, and then i think twice and realize that 4 cylinders need more boost for hp, and that most evos, etc, are running upwards of 24lbs...
Not much of a difference at all between a small16g and big16g. I thought mine was a big16g for a while till i found out that it was a small 16g, small 16g's are just as capable. The evo16g has more potential though, 16g's don't need more than 18+psi though, they are small quick spooling turbo's that's what make's them great, you don't need so much psi like with the bigger turbo's, these are pumpgas turbo's, you'll usually need racegas for more psi to be safe but they are more than capable on pumpgas, I've always used pumpgas on my old 16g dsm and I've surprised quiet a few people with 18-19psi. It would spike to around 22psi though before it leveled off to 18-19psi, lol.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

There's a local ricer here with a 1990 talon runnin a 16g turbo at 19lbs of boost and its AWD. He called out my BONE STOCK Trans Am. I obviously declined because I can't hook from a dig and from a roll he'll be building boost. what would it take for me to beat him, and what kind of power is he making or track times? He is a halfway decent driver...I haven't seen the car, his friend is trying to set up the race with me.
Why not take the race and lose????
Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, did the race happen or what? I'm going to race one for fun and want to see what happened, not just nother thread of BS.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Looks like ended up being "that guy" with a good running car. To bad he bougth it and didn't build it. Throw a bottle on and see what happens.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Teching In

I can't believe i just read all of that. To find out that it was just some ricer ***
Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TThis guy bought the car as it sits and probably hasn't turned a wrench in his life. He's just another douchebag with a fast car.
you know where he bought it? a kid around here just sold his quick black and silver talon out of state(iowa) so you're close
Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dsm are not ricer cars. They were both american and japanese .Japanese engine ,one of the best Japanese engines ever made .Although guys with that attitude can buy them or rice them up. And mostly talking the turbo versions not the non turbo cars. These cars are decently fast around 15 seconds bone stock And easily running lt1 times with some simple cheap mods. Meaning running well into the 14s. Now it takes a bit more for them to hit even stock ls1 1/4 mile numbers and more yet to reach ls1 modded up numbers.
But the cars are fairly cheap to buy now especially the 1g or 1st gen cars. And because they are cheap to buy you can get pretty high power levels out of them for not that much money. A budget of 2000- 3000 should get you 400 engine hp. only a bit more to get to 500engine hp. To get 600 and beyond better budget closer to 10,000 although it could be done for less if a guy knows what he is doing maybe half that if you get some parts used.

As for unreliable well lots of that is the age of the cars and the former owners and the maintenance or lack of that the cars get.I have seen and owned dsms with over 180,000 miles on original engine that did not burn oil and still ran good. But in the wrong hands you can wreck a turbo car pretty fast. Many kids just up the boost to 20psi with no support and no tuning. I just bought a turbo laser for 400 bucks with only a blown headgasket from this very thing.

And black smoke is not oil smoke. Most turbo cars will be running rich and put out some black smoke. Oil smoke is blue and blown head gasket smoke is white.
The 1g had a very tough engine. The best engines were 90 to mid 92. 6 bolt 2.0 litre.
The 2g or second gen engines have bad rep for crankwalk although it doesn't seem to be as common as some think it is. Many 2g guys swap in earlier motors to make sure they dont' get crankwalk. I swapped a 2.4 engine from hyundai sonata into my 97 talon. The sonata is a mits engine and same bottom end as 1gs. But it was not turbo or dual overhead so you use a 1g or 2g head and you swap out pistons etc. Advantage is more torque and quicker spool up just like going to bigger engine in our ls1s with turbos like my 99 ta.The older 1g 6 bolt 2.0 have taken 500 engine hp in stock form.

Stock clutches are weak in the dsms. They are cheap to replace .Stock trans are not too weak the autos have gone 10s stock. But lots of kids try to powershift them and wipe out second gear most commonly. Aftermarket built trans are available.

Axles are pretty strong but past about 500 hp they can break. They make replacement axles. Center diff is weak and most guys upgrade it or get it welded if they are hardcore.

Aside from that the cars are pretty easy to work on and not that unreliable as said if you keep on top of maintenance and know what you are doing with tuning.

I love my 97 talon and my 91 auto talon and will be keeping them for a long time. Until some company comes out with another car with awd and turbo. The new nissan skyline gtr is a supercar and might be my next talon replacement when they get a bit cheaper although like the toyota twin turbo supercar don't think they are going to ever be that cheap.

Too bad gm has not made an awd camaro or a factory turbo v8 camaro. Rumors are we might see a 4 banger turbo camaro but not very impressed with that. Turbo v8s will always be better than turbo 4 bangers. At least to me. Four bangers just have no torque off boost and to get them to make big power like 600 or more you have to get a very big turbo and a very narrow powerband. No fun on the street,works ok at the track.
As for quality well the newer 2gs are better cars in terms of build quality. The older f bodies like my second gens were pretty horrible on buld quality and the third gens were not that great either. The fourth improved quite a bit although some consider our fourth gens to be unreliable. The optispark was stupid idea in the lt1 cars and many get the intake manifold leak,some repeatedly. Many ls1 cars have the piston slap problems. Gm put in crappy window motors and headlight motors in the fourth gens, the front door panels crack, the rear ends are out of a 100 hp s10 minitruck, the interior plastic scratches from looking at it. No car is perfect.