Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 z28 vs srt8 charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few don't know an R/T from an SRT, it seems. The Diablo has been selling quite briskly for the LX platform....
Old 05-09-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
Agree.

Just like Mach 1s, SRT-8s are some of those cars that their owners claim to be in the 12's outta the showroom floor. I've never seen one run low 13's, much less 12's. .
right on. i raced about 3-4 SRT8 Chargers at lebanon valley raceway last year. all high 13 to low 14 sec cars. even the california special mustang are all about the same from what i saw.

needless to say my bone stock 2.73 A4 car crushed them all easily. not bragging...its just what really happened. then an friggin EVO crushed me.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:36 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Good kill. Our SRT8 beat our bolt on 02 SS when my wife and I raced but hey, its street racing. I would say the majority of SRT8's are low/mid 13's until the Cai/tune. From a roll, it will take a second or 2 for it to downshift (fly by wire TB) and that may be why you yanked a car off the hit. Either way good kill.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Launching!

Stock vs stock the SRT-8's are stronger on top end over the LS1 F-bod's but it's a close race. I've seen a Charger run a 12.9 at 108 bone stock so they are capable of that but on average they run mid to low 13's.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 300C SRT8. First time out at the track only ran it twice. My best being a 13.35@107.. Since then I have ran a 13.0977@107 Bone stock.

Here is a video of the 13.35 pass..

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3...ock_156573.htm

Long story short on this I believe I could beat a nearly stock LS1 more often then not.

None the less good kill OP.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO
right on. i raced about 3-4 SRT8 Chargers at lebanon valley raceway last year. all high 13 to low 14 sec cars. even the california special mustang are all about the same from what i saw.

needless to say my bone stock 2.73 A4 car crushed them all easily. not bragging...its just what really happened. then an friggin EVO crushed me.
What a crock of ****. S197s are consistently .5-1sec and 5mph+ slower at any dragstrip. HINT: Those were R/Ts. Any SRT-8 owner knows a GT isn't in the same league.

How did this thread bring out the remaining ignorant LS1 owners? Every other SRT-8 one gets props for winning vs. stockers or coming close to bolt-on cars.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Good kill. Our SRT8 beat our bolt on 02 SS when my wife and I raced but hey, its street racing. I would say the majority of SRT8's are low/mid 13's until the Cai/tune. From a roll, it will take a second or 2 for it to downshift (fly by wire TB) and that may be why you yanked a car off the hit. Either way good kill.
Yep, that's a few CLs and a street race in need of a driver mod. Holding the gear is one of the great things about the autostick.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
What a crock of ****. S197s are consistently .5-1sec and 5mph+ slower at any dragstrip. HINT: Those were R/Ts. Any SRT-8 owner knows a GT isn't in the same league.

How did this thread bring out the remaining ignorant LS1 owners? Every other SRT-8 one gets props for winning vs. stockers or coming close to bolt-on cars.
i dont care how fast they are compared to mustangs. i didnt compare timeslips from a stang to charger. all i know is all they saw in that SRT-8..yes i said SRT-8...i know what the **** it is, was my tail lights by 660 mark. and all i got is a catback and a lid. after all it does weigh 4200 lbs with a driver in it. get over it..its fast but not that fast. and neither is my car.

there was a supercharged factory 300c there with plates that said "1 of 2" that ran high 12s. now that was a fast chrysler.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO
i dont care how fast they are compared to mustangs. i didnt compare timeslips from a stang to charger. all i know is all they saw in that SRT-8..yes i said SRT-8...i know what the **** it is, was my tail lights by 660 mark. and all i got is a catback and a lid. after all it does weigh 4200 lbs with a driver in it. get over it..its fast but not that fast. and neither is my car.

there was a supercharged factory 300c there with plates that said "1 of 2" that ran high 12s. now that was a fast chrysler.
So when I ran a 14.3 it means the Mustang that beat me should go home and post that SRT-8s are slow like you're implying? What happened to the other "3-4"?? I know - it was the same driver switching cars?

Hopefully he went home early like you because the next pass was a 13.3.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-10-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Where is the ignorance in this thread?

A few mentioned they've beaten the SRT-8 cars. What's so ignorant about that?

Get real, your car is a heavy and slow piece of **** from the factory, so is mine. Just happens that mine is a faster piece of ****.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

I couldn't care less about your heavy, faster (due to mods) POS.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Where is the ignorance in this thread?

A few mentioned they've beaten the SRT-8 cars. What's so ignorant about that?

Get real, your car is a heavy and slow piece of **** from the factory, so is mine. Just happens that mine is a faster piece of ****.
I couldnt be more impressed with SRT8's. Far from POS's.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m-CKUT3wzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVOBvspAYFg

Stock SRT8 Magnum

They're not slow
Old 05-10-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

He def had it in 2nd the whole time so he didnt have to wait for it to downshift but i still did jump a car on him pretty quick. Im not saying his car is slow by anymeans im just saying mine is faster lol i want to run him at the track n see what happens
Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

I couldn't care less about your heavy, faster (due to mods) POS.
The feeling is mutual.
By the way, I meant my car was faster when it was stock. Since I've never seen a stock SRT-8 car in the 12's, much less in the 11's, like my car (due to mods of course).

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I couldnt be more impressed with SRT8's. Far from POS's.
I'd drive one, but I'm not impressed. I find no reason to be impressed by any SRT 8 car. They're big sedans with a big engine.
But I'm willing to listen if you guys are willing to tell me what's so impressive about it.

Originally Posted by COD02SS
I disagree.
If numbers on a dyno define to you how fast/slow a car is, then we have two different views on the whole matter of performance. By the way, 367whp is nothing, specially on a big *** car like that.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Same with LS1s in my area, SRT-8s are low 13sec cars here though. Plenty in the 12s stock, the Diablo guarantees it.

I haven't lost to an LS1 yet, sounds like OP ran a guy who doesn't know his car. Not saying it would win, but it would have been much, much closer.

Common mistakes are manually shifting and not turning ESP off.

Bottom line - nice kill.
I'd race you....it would be a good race You live tooooo far though...lol I'd love to pop your cherry
Old 05-10-2008, 07:42 PM
FTW
Teching In

Originally Posted by COD02SS
They're not slow
Yea they are and Ill prove it once I see one on the street..
Old 05-11-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

So when I ran a 14.3 it means the Mustang that beat me should go home and post that SRT-8s are slow like you're implying? What happened to the other "3-4"?? I know - it was the same driver switching cars?

Hopefully he went home early like you because the next pass was a 13.3.
ummm NO!.. your taking what i wrote out of its context. i never even said they were slow to begin with. the posts before mine did so go criticize them. i know theyre 13 sec cars , just not usually low 13 and i just agreed with the guy that said they didnt usually run as fast as LS1 cars.and after all that could be the driver. and again get over it, if you want my REAL opinion on that car its a" overpriced. overstickered, overweight, ugly *** four door brick" .

as for me goin home early? that never happens, ive been bracket racing points for years. i put more people on the trailer then a moving company. and if you want to see the results of the races just google musclepalooza and find them yourself. i made it to #4 out a field of 68 cars puttin a **** load of hemi drivers in the stands. and the only reason i went out durng that race was after hot lapping 2 runs my car ran off the dial i had all day. it went from 13.68 on the dial and ran a 13.90, and still had a .008 reaction even on the loss.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

By the way, I meant my car was faster when it was stock.

I'd drive one, but I'm not impressed. I find no reason to be impressed by any SRT 8 car. They're big sedans with a big engine.
But I'm willing to listen if you guys are willing to tell me what's so impressive about it.
Highly doubtful but anything can happen on the street between closely matched cars.

C5 6M acceleration - up to 110mph trap speeds, 173mph top end, 0-150mph in 30 seconds.

Handling in mid-large 4-door arena only bettered by the CTS-V.

Best bang for the buck 4 door with an automaic in 40k range.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-11-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:52 PM

The feeling is mutual.
By the way, I meant my car was faster when it was stock. Since I've never seen a stock SRT-8 car in the 12's, much less in the 11's, like my car (due to mods of course).

I disagree.
If numbers on a dyno define to you how fast/slow a car is, then we have two different views on the whole matter of performance. By the way, 367whp is nothing, specially on a big *** car like that.

Well the fact alone that they are 4100lbs and on the right conditions run high 12's @ 108-110 and run 170-175mph totally stock. I guess youre not impressed with any AMG/M cars or the CTS-V's either? The SS that Evan ran high 12's is still talked about and these 4 door sedans would outrun it at all areas (1/4, roll and topend) all while riding like a Benz is actually quite nice. Everybody is impressed with the G8's and they dont dyno or trap what the quickest SRT's do. How can they not be impressive? They are not to be compared to Cobra's, Vettes and F-bodies but they will actually run with most of them and outrun some of them. Hey Livernois motorsports was impressed and like I said, I come from a KB Cobra and I enjoy driving the 300 just as much, though noting near the power obviously. My .02.

This is a big 4dr with 20" wheels no less. I bet it would run even quicker with 17-18's through the 1/4 with an Auto no less. Very nice indeed.