Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Wrx kill and street racing ticket. (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Wrx kill and street racing ticket. (long post)

Ok guys hear me out on this.. Me and my friend(with the wrx) were going to a bonfire at about 12pm. Our buddy called us right when we left and said give him a minute he'll be home soon. So we were just cruising to kill some time. We turn right onto a completely deserted road, not a pair headlights in front or behind us. The upcoming light turns red and he gets next to me. he says wanna do a quick run? Im say ehh id rather go on the highway(i honestly am against racing on the street..) Then hes just like come on there arent any cars in sight. I agree. Light goes green and were off. I outlaunch him and end up winning by about 2 cars. We turn around and head back towards our buddies house and wait at the intersection to turn left and what do you know.. a cop is behind my friend. He gets pulled over once we turn and i keep driving casually, not speeding away or anything. Well i didnt get away, The one and only passing motorist took my license plate and gave it to the cop. I get a call saying i need to go to the police station in that city. He also told my friend that if i dont show up he will come to my house and get me and tow my car, so i went after my buddy called and said that.

End up getting a ticket for "Street racing prohibited." He didnt clock us either, so there is no speed written on the ticket. When i got to the station he said if the light at the intersection would have stayed green, he wouldnt have stopped us cus we would have been out of his jurisdiction, a matter of about 10ft..

I have never been pulled over in my life. I have a perfect driving record and have never had any kind of run in with the law. The city i have court in also is only about 4 blocks big, realllllll smalll city. What am i looking at here? Im gonna plead no contest and tell the judge how sorry i am for polluting his citys streets with this, my mom took my plates and keys away, i have never been in any trouble and stuff like that. Im even going to offer to go back to driving school to keep the points off my license and ill pay a bigger fine. The cop who wrote the ticket also wont be in court.

I really dont ever **** around on the street like this, i only really open the car up when im getting on the highway and the one time i do, i get caught haha. Sorry for the long post guys.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't plead no contest...
Your best bet would be to contact a lawyer and look at your options or just pay his *** and get it over with.
He should be able to reduce it considerably since you're a first time offender.
Depending on your state, the DA won't even cut a deal with you if you downright plead guilty.
I realy think legal advisement is your best bet, or plead innocent and make a deal with the DA.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i cant really plead innocent cus i asked about that and he said if i do, they will go to the dash tape and he said he was in the direction where you can see us take off and stuff. He watched us line up, take off, and even complimented me on winning haha. Although it might not be a bad idea to call a lawyer, thanks.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Well i cant really plead innocent cus i asked about that and he said if i do, they will go to the dash tape and he said he was in the direction where you can see us take off and stuff. He watched us line up, take off, and even complimented me on winning haha. Although it might not be a bad idea to call a lawyer, thanks.
Calling a lawyer is the way I would go...
I've never been caught street racing (because it's illegal) and ticketed. I'm not sure of the consequences.
Just so you know, some cops are ****** and will lie just to catch your *** or trip you up.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Banned

Plead innocent, get a lawyer willing to go to trial. Make them prove it was your car. A passing motorist giving them your plate is heresay, its enough to let them pull you over to investigate, it is not enough to give you a ticket. John Q Public is not qualified to judge that a law has been broken in so far as traffic violations go. Nor is John Q Public trained to estimate speed, specially when they are moving as well.

Who cares if he has a dash cam, no plates no proof unless your car is very distinctive looking. Did they take pics of your car when you went to the police station? Hopefully you went in another vehicle. If they did not get pics of your car is there any thing you can do to Q ship it. Remove/add a spoiler, swap to a clean/ intaked hood etc. Something that looks like it came on your car that way from the factory but will change your cars lines on any video they show so you can honestly say, that does not look like my car, here ar epics of my car see the differences. Stay away from obvious temp mods like bras it will be less believable.

Your advantages is that the cop did not see it up close, use them.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zraver
Plead innocent, get a lawyer willing to go to trial. Make them prove it was your car. A passing motorist giving them your plate is heresay, its enough to let them pull you over to investigate, it is not enough to give you a ticket. John Q Public is not qualified to judge that a law has been broken in so far as traffic violations go. Nor is John Q Public trained to estimate speed, specially when they are moving as well.

Who cares if he has a dash cam, no plates no proof unless your car is very distinctive looking. Did they take pics of your car when you went to the police station? Hopefully you went in another vehicle. If they did not get pics of your car is there any thing you can do to Q ship it. Remove/add a spoiler, swap to a clean/ intaked hood etc. Something that looks like it came on your car that way from the factory but will change your cars lines on any video they show so you can honestly say, that does not look like my car, here ar epics of my car see the differences. Stay away from obvious temp mods like bras it will be less believable.

Your advantages is that the cop did not see it up close, use them.
You seem...experienced
Old 06-01-2008, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

i would have never gone to the station in the first place and just let it be thats a bluff on his part coming and towing the car, also they cant prove you were the one driving the car just say a friend ran to the store in it that night or some bs
Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by myTreadZz
You seem...experienced
Nope, at least not as far as street racing goes. Pre-law lol... will be heading to law school in about 2 years.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

He got all of my license plate except for 1 number, there are so many things against me that i cant really fight this. My car is the only SOM TA around here. I didnt drive the car to the station either but guys i really dont think i have anything on my side to win this. I know he saw it because there was just too much he knew and was talking about we turned around in the car lot.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zraver
Nope, at least not as far as street racing goes. Pre-law lol... will be heading to law school in about 2 years.
ah, then that explains it, lol
Old 06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

Ryan's profile does not list does not list his state, but usually street racing is a criminal offense because it can lead to imprisonment or confiscation of property. This puts a fairly high standard on the legal system to prove the drivers guilt. A dash cam of a car from hundreds of feet away and hearsay testimony is not, or at least should not be enough. Thats why he needs a lawyer. here is the rub, you get what you pay for. Hire a $500 flat fee lawyer and you'll only get $500 worth of service. Hire a well respected lawyer at 150-300 an hour and you'll get every dime of it back via reduced/removed fines, license points, no jail time, keeping the car etc.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im in cleveland ohio
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rocksws6
Mommy took the keys and the plates away.
Is this your first car?
haha i was about to just post the same thing and i reloaded and you had beat me too it, even when i was 16 i was the one paying for my car (my parents got the loan but i paid every cent back for it) so i told them if they wanted to take it away they could start making the payments since it was in their name haha!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
He got all of my license plate except for 1 number, there are so many things against me that i cant really fight this. My car is the only SOM TA around here. I didnt drive the car to the station either but guys i really dont think i have anything on my side to win this. I know he saw it because there was just too much he knew and was talking about we turned around in the car lot.
who got your license plate number? You said a civilian did, they are not trained investigators. Not only that, but if he got your plate, you were not moving very fast. A simple 10mph difference, him 5 under you 5 over is 14.67 feet per second. Now you might be able to memorize most of a plate in the few seconds you see it, but can you do that while your driving? I can't, 99 out of a hundred people can't. Now if you were really racing you were probably 30 over the speed limit. 30mph is 44 feet per second even. The driver literally has 1 second to memorize your plate and car. And thats if you were stupid enough to pass him by racing in traffic. If he was going the opposite way and the speed limit is 55, even if you both of you were not speeding the combined closing speed is 110 or 161.3 feet per second plus the width of the lane dividers. Thats more than the length of 2 semis.

You can duplicate all of this legally on a back road, 1 car going 5mph the other going 10, 20, and 30 over without breaking a speed limit. have a passenger in the control vehicle use a video camera. Then have that passengers film both vehicles on each other at 55 (still legal) and film aimed at the license plate.

The cops dash cam is worthless without supporting evidence. evidence in this case is not I saw two cars racing, without a plate number by a valid investigator all he saw was two cars racing. he needs to be able to say I saw (you name) EXIT/DRIVE the vehicle etc. Plus- you do not have the only SOM TA (what ever that is) your car 99 trans am is one of over 40,000 trans-am and fire bird cars made in that year alone. never mind that the driver might have seen a Camaro or even another car with similar lines/lights. You car is just one of tens maybe hundreds of thousands on the road. So even if your car is a rare bird where you live- they can't prove that.

Are you hearing me?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Teching In

If i were you i would just get a lawyer because it will save your *** more in the end. When i was 18 and first got my ws6 i was being stupid and decided to see how fast my car would go. Well needless to say i passed a sheriff doing 69 in a 55 then i passed a trooper doing 128 in a 55. Well i decided to get a lawyer and all i got out of it was a fine for reckless operation and had 8 hours of community service. I was really unlucky that night cuz the cops must of had a doughnut party somewhere close because they had all the roads blocked off looking for me so i tried sneaking thru my small town and one saw my taillights and i got pulled over with my car in the garage lol. The judge told me if he saw me again for a stunt like this though i better bring my toothbrush. It was extremely stupid of me cause i had my friends in the car but now its a great story to tell.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Launching!

A lawyer is a good idea, but could get pricey. You could plead no contest and aks that the adjudication be withheld. Idk if you can aks for that, but in fl you can. Tell them its the first time you've ever been in any kind of trouble like this, and see what the judge says, they might be pretty leniant on you since you dont have a record.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Check this out. Lots of good information there.

Also, you say the cop who wrote you the ticket won't be there? In most traffic cases thats like an automatic "not guilty"
Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by twpetry
Check this out. Lots of good information there.

Also, you say the cop who wrote you the ticket won't be there? In most traffic cases thats like an automatic "not guilty"
I've never had the cop present when I received any type of citation.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
haha i was about to just post the same thing and i reloaded and you had beat me too it, even when i was 16 i was the one paying for my car (my parents got the loan but i paid every cent back for it) so i told them if they wanted to take it away they could start making the payments since it was in their name haha!
Smart thinking! When the son of one of my buddies pulled this on him, he said no problem. He sold the car and paid off the loan. Now that was funny!

Ryan99ls1, Good luck with your ticket, hope all turns out well for you.

Last edited by azredbird; 06-07-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-02-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my friend I got a ticket for speed exhibition in delaware. Me and 2 friends in their trans ams were crusing and saw a mustang GT and we drove past and pressed in the clutch and gave a him a little bit of LS1 and in my case LS2 music and a cop saw ( probably a mustang fan) and ticketed us. Three months go by long after I paid the ticket and I get a call from my dad and he asks me " I know what u do with the goat but have you ever been caught" . So I say no because I never have been caught running anyone because we do that **** in the middle of nowhere late at night. But long story short South Carolina considers speed exhibition "" Street Racing " and I lost my liscense for a year for paying a 55$ ticket WTF