Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2000 Z28 vs 380whp Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Z28 vs 380whp Evo IX

Tonight i went out to a local meet and met a buddy of mine with an Evo IX (non MR). His is the 5 speed version. His mods are as follows: Stock 16G turbo at 26psi, Tial wastegate (holds the boost the entire time at WOT), downpipe, o2 housing, and a 3 inch catback. It's basically a turbo-back but he still has the cat for inspection purposes. He also had a full dyno-tune and made 380awhp. I saw the dyno sheet that he had with him in his car. It was on a dynojet. My car, on the otherhand, has a SLP lid, Hooker Super Comp headers, 3 inch Lanes' True Duals with Dynomax Bullets, 4.10 gears in a A4 and a transmission tune via HPTuners. We did two highway races both at 45 mph (perfect kickdown for my 2nd gear and good for him as well).

First race was a 45 mph roll with me doing a 3 honk. On the second honk i floored it to where i caught at the third honk. We both took off on the third honk and stayed pretty even until i got into third gear around 70mph. Once into third i started to pull and by 110 (just before i shifted into 4th) i let off being 1.5 cars ahead.

Second race was another 45 mph roll with me doing another 3 honk and going on the second beep again so i can catch on the third. We left simultaneously but this time he brake boosted. He jumped out to about a half car lead but once into third i started to pull back pretty hard. I let off at exactly 125mph being 2 cars ahead. (On a sidenote, i heard that you top out an A4 with 4.10's at 110mph. That is WAAAAY off because i was in 4th gear at 125mph and only at about 4500 rpms. I think i could reach 150mph.)

All in all it was a good run with me being a little suprised by the outcome. I know from a dig or a 25mph roll (perfect for my 1st gear kickdown) he would win because i would spin everywhere. From a higher speed i get traction. I am on BFG G-Force street tires, by the way.

A friend of mine videotaped it in the front passenger seat of the Evo. I will try and get him to email me the video. The Evo had one 160lb passenger and i had one 300lb passenger.

A PT4000 stall and MT street radials are next for me!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

good runs man
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Teching In

not sure how hes running a tial wastegate with the stock turbo. the stock turbo is internally gated....
Old 07-11-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good kills and maybe he was a horrible driver, but that doesn't make any sense according to my experience. I raced a 380whp Evo VIII with about the same setup as I'm running now from highway rolls and they were pretty close to dead even, with me just SLIGHTLY edging him out. Granted I was having a bit of a shifting issue at the time because of my clutch, but it wasn't that bad and that car was FAST. He would have absolutely murdered me from a dig if he could launch it. Just my experience, though.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kevind
not sure how hes running a tial wastegate with the stock turbo. the stock turbo is internally gated....
Fairly easy. Take the WG flapers out and remove the vacuum canister. Then pick up an O2 housing made with a short pipe flanged for a 38.

Here is the DSM version of that style O2 housing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...spagenameZWDVW
Old 07-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boostedinaz
Fairly easy. Take the WG flapers out and remove the vacuum canister. Then pick up an O2 housing made with a short pipe flanged for a 38.

Here is the DSM version of that style O2 housing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...spagenameZWDVW
They are just now getting o2 dumps available for the Evo, external wastegates really haven't been done yet for stock based turbos.

If this guy has really went that route, I'd love to see a picture of the setup.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
They are just now getting o2 dumps available for the Evo, external wastegates really haven't been done yet for stock based turbos.

If this guy has really went that route, I'd love to see a picture of the setup.

I'm actually going to a big meet tonight (last night was a small one. Tonight will be 200+ cars). I am bringing my camera with me. I will snap a couple pics of his setup if he is there (he probably will be). I am working on getting the video emailed to me from an Evo passenger's cell phone. I have video on my camera so i may see if he will race again tonight and get it on my camera.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Good kills and maybe he was a horrible driver, but that doesn't make any sense according to my experience. I raced a 380whp Evo VIII with about the same setup as I'm running now from highway rolls and they were pretty close to dead even, with me just SLIGHTLY edging him out. Granted I was having a bit of a shifting issue at the time because of my clutch, but it wasn't that bad and that car was FAST. He would have absolutely murdered me from a dig if he could launch it. Just my experience, though.
He honestly isn't the best driver. He's also not bad, though. The second time we raced, where he slightly pulled in front for a bit after his brake boost, i could see him do his 2-3 shift. I made up a half car during the time it took for him to shift. He only has a 5 speed, though, and only shifted a couple times, so it didn't play too much into the race, in my opinion. I think it was obvious my car was stronger regardless of driver error.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
He honestly isn't the best driver. He's also not bad, though. The second time we raced, where he slightly pulled in front for a bit after his brake boost, i could see him do his 2-3 shift. I made up a half car during the time it took for him to shift. He only has a 5 speed, though, and only shifted a couple times, so it didn't play too much into the race, in my opinion. I think it was obvious my car was stronger regardless of driver error.
Huh, weird. Either way, nice kill.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice kill!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

congrats on the win
Old 07-13-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic