Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

"10 second" civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "10 second" civic

I was driving over to Speed Inc the other day, and I see a hideous lime green civic with a carbon fiber hood coming up behind me. I slow and he pulls into the left turn lane, so I follow. It had all the serious race car stuff- huge tach, aftermarket low-profile wheels, fartcan etc.

So I'm sitting behind this jackass and he starts giving me the "you dunno what you got yourself into" grin in the rearview mirror. The arrow goes green and he pulls around the corner and stands on it, and is rowing thorough the gears- the friggin car looked like a diesel it was spewing sooo much black soot. So i'm at like 1/2 - 3/4 throttle on his *** while he's doing this.

Now the payoff... we come to another light and he says "nice car" I say, "thanks, what does yours run?" He says, "High 10's!"
His reply took me so much by suprise that I just made a lame comment like "yeah right". If I was smart I should have set up a race for some $$.

What universe are these import guys living in?
Old 08-22-2003, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: "10 second" civic

I don't get why these guys think a fartcan, ginormous spoiler, and 2000 stickers equals 10's. So did you smoke his ***?
Old 08-22-2003, 04:58 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re:

Another one of those "10 second" civics eh?...
Old 08-22-2003, 05:03 PM
STF Veteran

Default Re:

maybe he was talking about 10's in the 8th ...never know tho, gay ricers tell you anything now a days
Old 08-22-2003, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey easy on the fart cans. what if his exhaust tip just got streched out from getting azz raped by real cars too much. I was wondering the same thing though did you smoke him at the light?
Old 08-22-2003, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was driving over to Speed Inc the other day, and I see a hideous lime green civic with a carbon fiber hood coming up behind me. I slow and he pulls into the left turn lane, so I follow. It had all the serious race car stuff- huge tach, aftermarket low-profile wheels, fartcan etc.

So I'm sitting behind this jackass and he starts giving me the "you dunno what you got yourself into" grin in the rearview mirror. The arrow goes green and he pulls around the corner and stands on it, and is rowing thorough the gears- the friggin car looked like a diesel it was spewing sooo much black soot. So i'm at like 1/2 - 3/4 throttle on his *** while he's doing this.

Now the payoff... we come to another light and he says "nice car" I say, "thanks, what does yours run?" He says, "High 10's!"
His reply took me so much by suprise that I just made a lame comment like "yeah right". If I was smart I should have set up a race for some $$.

What universe are these import guys living in?
Yeah, I live about 20 minutes away from you and I think I've seen this guy too, unfortunately not when I'm in the TA however. Most of the ricers around here are completely delusional. A guy that lives by me that has a riced out Cavalier tried to tell me it ran 11's on 75lbs. of boost, and he's installing a nitrous system that injects nitrous into the tailpipes.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re:

I raced a 11 sec crx once myself. Judging by the way I walked him I must be in the high 8 second range myself. HA
Old 08-22-2003, 06:11 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re:

They really amaze me.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Default Re:

I got beat by a "10 second civic" it was a hatchback on the freeway, coming home from teh track. I still had my DRs on. Slowed to 40 and he ended up taking me by about 1 ft at 140 when we stopped. I was SOOO ******* PISSED. Turns out he has alot done to his car. Pulled over up the road and all he had inside was a shifter and a seat. Had a v-6 in it too. Nitrous shot all of it. It wasnt street legal either I gave him his props and went on my way.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when we met at the light it was behind a pack of cars, and I had to turn at the next light. I guess I was lucky or I would have gotten spanked

I have no problem giving props to any fast car- like a REAL 10 second car -import or american, but this thing was so frggin weak and belching so much smoke it was obvious that this kid was full of it.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re:

My Bird loves the taste of fried rice!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re:

Guys, when people take the time to rip off a piece of aluminum siding and call it a spoiler, their cars do run tens. Minutes. Right 25psi?
Old 09-14-2003, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re:

Guys, when people take the time to rip off a piece of aluminum siding and call it a spoiler, their cars do run tens. Minutes. Right 25psi?
LOL
Old 09-14-2003, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re:

This happens all the time. I think whats happening is the rice burners are realizing that they spent 10000 on their car and 5000 on mods and they know that when you spend 5000 on a gm it can run low 11s easy so since they are lighter they must run 10s. Like when you beat them and they are covinced you have naaawwwsssss. I popped my hood and he looks at the polished fuelrails and said"See I told you" why are the majority of these guys just ignorant idiots? Anyway great story its funny to hear those. I love when they say that and then I tell them oh well my car only runs low 12s high 11s
Old 09-14-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re:

I've invested about 275 bucks in mine (polyurethane trans mount, wire replacement with heat sleeves, and strut bar) and I'm not gonna be running 14s.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Default Re:

LOL, the "black smoke". I'll bet he was trying to spray you and forgot his N2O bottle was empty from trying to pass that dump truck at the last light.

Ricers around Chicago are of a strange breed. They really do honestly think they have fast cars. Maybe because there are so many of them that mostly they are only racing themselves and eventually get the idea they are fast.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re:

Yes, and go out to barrington. Oh lord... It is so bad out there.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re:

I saw a Sentra today (would guess about a '95, total rust bucket) with "Type R" stickers and about a '89 Celica with the same sticker. I'm thinking they're 10 second cars... in the 1/8th! What's up with these people? If I put an Earnhardt, Jr. or Gordon sticker on my car does that mean I can run 200 m.p.h.?
Old 09-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re:

I don't know about some of these kids nowadays. I raced a kid in a Talon with a big *** wing and a slew of gauges from a light last week. Only raced to about 70 mph since I was already 8 lengths ahead. We stop at the next light and the kid was cool asking me "what do you have in there!" (Like I was in a top fuel dragster or something???) then told me he bogged off the line.

I was a little dumbfounded since my Formula is basically stock. All I could say was "the v8 that normally comes in a formula". I mean it's not like I'm driving an exotic or anything. Do most ricers know that little about muscle cars only a few years old?
Old 09-19-2003, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re:

I know what you mean. The other day I pulled up next to this blue Subaru POS with the big-*** bullwinkle antler wing. He yelled over- what did you do to your car? I said it's basically stock except I swapped the cam. He was like, "cam? Why did you do just one?". I replied that it was a pushrod engine and he looked completely dumbfounded, like what's a pushrod engine?

Quick Reply: "10 second" civic