Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2009 G8 GT vs 2000 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2009 G8 GT vs 2000 Z28

My friend and I were hanging out tonight and it was just a matter of waiting until it was time to go home when we both knew what would happen

My friend has a 2000 M6 Z28. The car has 23,000 miles, flowmaster cat-back, SLP lid, and a tune. It made 315 rwhp and ran a best of 13.3 @ 109 mph.

After beating my stock LT1 A4 and a stock LS1 M6 GTO I knew that this would be a real test for my car.

First up, we went from a 20 mph roll. Three honks and we both hit it. I expected him to jump out and just leave me hard, but instead he slowly crept away, putting 1 car on me by 100 mph.

Second we went from a dig. Three honks and we both hit it, with me jumping out about 1.5 cars on him. I held him off and was still holding a slight lead at 100 mph. At that point he came screaming by and was about 2 cars ahead by 120 mph.

After that run he said he was worried that he wouldn't be able to catch me in a marked 1/4 mile on the street, and that he didn't like the fact that he wasn't beating me more than he was

We went out for a third run at a markded 1/4 mile. Three honks and we both hit it. This time he got a much better launch and I only pulled about 1/2 a car in front. He slowly pulled past me and at the end of the marked 1/4 mile he was 1 car in front.

Over all I was very pleased with my car's performance and he said that it really suprised him. Nothing like some close friendly races!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

thats awesome, is there a model above yours with more hp?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

def some good runs right there. sounds like the G8 is a very strong car. looks like the ls1 had some better top end

yea i was just about to say. didnt you run against a gto also haha then i saw your other post. getting some good races in with you car huh....
Old 10-01-2008, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, i am surprised....... nevertheless, good run
Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
wow, i am surprised....... nevertheless, good run
Don't be. That car pulls HARD especially up top and with the A6 it stays in its powerband very well (not to mention the auto shifts quick so no real chance for driver error except to pick a bad mph to start from). First gear is EXTREMELY short in the tranny, which helps it get out of the hole fast even with the 2.92 rear gears, and it just seems impressive all around for such a heavy car. I was driving the stock LS1 GTO he raced and even shifting the ***** off it I couldn't beat the G8. It's an impressive car for sure, especially being a very roomy four door sedan. The GXPs are gonna be downright scary for a car of that size.

I've predicted a 13.6 at 105 for ScreaminRedZ up at Lebanon Valley and possibly even better at a track like Atco. The GTO has a best of 13.7 at 104 so far and the G8 should clearly beat it by a little based on our runs, especially ET-wise.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 10-01-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Turbo.TransAM
thats awesome, is there a model above yours with more hp?
The GXP is supposed to be coming out sometime soon but they haven't shown up yet. They'll have a 402hp LS3 in them (6.2L). Based on the performance I'm seeing from ScreaminRedZ's G8 GT, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see someone crack a 12.9 with the GXP when it comes out. It won't be a normal thing, but I'd put money down that it will happen at some point with one of those miracle magazine drivers.

EDIT: I just read that the 0-60 of the GXP is around 0.6 second quicker than the GT, which means that right there (not counting what you'll pull off top end), if the GT is running a 13.6 or so, the GXP should be hitting a 13.0 or so - all estimates of course, but I'm very curious to see how this GXP performs.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 10-01-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
def some good runs right there. sounds like the G8 is a very strong car. looks like the ls1 had some better top end

Yeah I was just about to say. didnt you run against a gto also haha then i saw your other post. getting some good races in with you car huh....
Yeah, I knew the LS1 would get me up top, especially since he trapped a best of 109 with consistent 108's. Honestly, I was suprised with the outcome and expected him to walk me much harder down low. Even from the roll he only pulled 1 car up to 100 mph.

The GTO I ran was an LS1 GTO, but I'd expect a race with an LS2 GTO to be very similar to my race with the Z28.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

best thing GM has done in a long time. started Using an A6
Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
best thing GM has done in a long time. started Using an A6
Yeah, it basically gives you the powerband benefits of an M6 without the real possibility for driver error, so they seem to pull just as strong as an M6 would from a roll. Not quite as fun as an M6 if I'm looking to go out and beat the hell out of my car, but definitely awesome for a daily driver or if you happen to have another "race" car, like ScreaminRedZ does.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

The thought of tuned GXPs are making SRT-8 owners anxious to get it on!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The thought of tuned GXPs are making SRT-8 owners anxious to get it on!
What does your typical stock SRT-8 Charger and Challenger run at an average track, average driver? I thought the GTs were about as fast as the SRT-8 Chargers and the GXPs will be quite a bit faster? I don't think they're gonna need to be "tuned" to beat the SRT-8 Chargers unless they're modded.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

... do u kno the weight on ure car? ... nice runs
Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 AM

I haven't had it on a scale, but from my research it's around 3995 without a driver. As soon as I get it to the track I'll let you know what it weighed in at.

I've seen a couple stock SRT8 300's run in the 13.4 range and I've seen a stock Magnum SRT8 run 13.3 consistently. Also, I heard about a stock SRT8 300 run well ito the 12's at Atco. They should be a good run for the GXP. The big thing is gonna be the fact that they are auto and the GXP will be available in stick, so the SRT's will probably be consistently faster.

I'd definitely run an SRT8 with my G8. I'd assume I'd lose, but I bet it would be a damn good race!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
What does your typical stock SRT-8 Charger and Challenger run at an average track, average driver? I thought the GTs were about as fast as the SRT-8 Chargers and the GXPs will be quite a bit faster? I don't think they're gonna need to be "tuned" to beat the SRT-8 Chargers unless they're modded.
Quoting averages is tough but keep in mind it's an automatic that is consistent but that has 2 shortcomings - heat soak and a 2-3 diagnostic shift which only shows up at tracks with short pit-to-staging lane areas.

Sears Point is an "average" track based on the DA there, headwind/humidity but no elevation issues, IMO.

Low 13s are guaranteed with a 2.0 60ft. Trap speeds from 106-110mph depending upon conditions. Bone stock, mudflaps and 255s all around, I ran a 13.3 @ 103.5mph with a 2.0 60ft, heat soaked and had the 2-3 shift.

The best for a stock G8 is 13.6s at 104mph or close to it. The 6spd auto helps a lot. Bolt/on tuned G8s will have ETs as low as 12.7s-8s @ 108mph with 1.9 60fts. Stock SRT-8s have ran 12.8s-12.9s @ 110mph under similar conditions.

It should be interesting with the GXP both stock and tuned. Heavier than the GT, 400hp rating, 6A and 6Ms. We'll see.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Village Idiot

I don't understand why people race from a roll...

Stop the car and frigg'n launch from a dig and that's real race... People whom race from a roll pretty much know their car is weaker out of the blocks. I find that quite often from the owners of the smaller import turbo'd ricer cars... I just don't like it, as one car is usually playing catch up on the roll right from the start as both usually don't take off at the same time..
Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
I don't understand why people race from a roll...

Stop the car and frigg'n launch from a dig and that's real race... People whom race from a roll pretty much know their car is weaker out of the blocks. I find that quite often from the owners of the smaller import turbo'd ricer cars... I just don't like it, as one car is usually playing catch up on the roll right from the start as both usually don't take off at the same time..
Who cares? It's fun as hell and we often go from digs AND rolls depending on what the circumstances allow. Doing so shows the different strengths and weaknesses of each car. Plus you don't always have an opportunity to come to a stop and do a burnout before a run. If both cars are making decent power and one is on street tires, the other on drag radials or slicks, it's often not worth the time or gas because it won't give you an accurate reading of how the cars perform because one guy will either bog or sit there spinning while the other one takes off.

Also, a low roll gives you a better idea about how the cars themselves perform, taking a big chunk of the infamous "bad driver mod" out of the equation (unless they can't shift, either). A higher roll gives you a good idea about how the cars will trap compared to each other.

And again, it's fun as hell.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Quoting averages is tough but keep in mind it's an automatic that is consistent but that has 2 shortcomings - heat soak and a 2-3 diagnostic shift which only shows up at tracks with short pit-to-staging lane areas.

Sears Point is an "average" track based on the DA there, headwind/humidity but no elevation issues, IMO.

Low 13s are guaranteed with a 2.0 60ft. Trap speeds from 106-110mph depending upon conditions. Bone stock, mudflaps and 255s all around, I ran a 13.3 @ 103.5mph with a 2.0 60ft, heat soaked and had the 2-3 shift.

The best for a stock G8 is 13.6s at 104mph or close to it. The 6spd auto helps a lot. Bolt/on tuned G8s will have ETs as low as 12.7s-8s @ 108mph with 1.9 60fts. Stock SRT-8s have ran 12.8s-12.9s @ 110mph under similar conditions.

It should be interesting with the GXP both stock and tuned. Heavier than the GT, 400hp rating, 6A and 6Ms. We'll see.
I don't know, the GXP may be a bit heavier than the GT, but it's still seeing over half a second faster 0-60mph times, which typically translates directly to ETs, and which puts it BOTTOM 13s in stock form, nevermind bolt-ons or tuned. I don't see any of the SRT-8s hanging with a GXP stock for stock when they come out. The stock form GXP should be pretty close to bolt-on times and traps of the GTs and SRT-8s, although still a couple tenths off.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I don't know, the GXP may be a bit heavier than the GT, but it's still seeing over half a second faster 0-60mph times, which typically translates directly to ETs, and which puts it BOTTOM 13s in stock form, nevermind bolt-ons or tuned. I don't see any of the SRT-8s hanging with a GXP stock for stock when they come out. The stock form GXP should be pretty close to bolt-on times and traps of the GTs and SRT-8s, although still a couple tenths off.
Uh... SRT-8s run BOTTOM 13s too, with some cracking 12s. Not sure how that wouldn't be an amazingly-close race.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like some good runs.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Uh... SRT-8s run BOTTOM 13s too, with some cracking 12s. Not sure how that wouldn't be an amazingly-close race.
Huh, yeah, I must have read that wrong. Ah well, the GXPs look WAY cooler anyways.

Sounds like they'll be some great races, though.

Quick Reply: 2009 G8 GT vs 2000 Z28