Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best rear sway bar for street car w/ 9 inch?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best rear sway bar for street car w/ 9 inch?

I have a 2000 Z28, bolt on/cam car that will spend most of its time on the streets. I was wondering what the best rear sway bar would be for my car when I put the new 9" in. So far I have adjustable LCAs, Panhard, stock springs, QA1 adjustable shocks will go on with the rear, Spohn double adjustable TA, and SJM ABS delete. Should I cut my stock springs too?
Thanks for the help!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

spohn or bmr.....i would say wolfe but you said street car
Old 10-23-2008, 03:18 AM
Launching!

anything that doesn't say "drag"
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, we offer a 22mm solid rear sway bar and a sway bar mount kit to attach it to the 9". Our bars are cold formed for better memory retention. The rear bar part number SB003 is available in red or black hammertone. It sells for $189.95. The sway bar mount kit for the 9" is part number SMK006. Its sells for $34.95. This kit includes all bushings and end links. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Restricted User

Thanks BMR, I am seriously looking into this now. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sure stranos would work just fine
Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Restricted User

What would be the best on the street? Why should I go with an aftermarket? How much difference will I see from stock?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much power are you planning on putting down with a "street" car? Odds are you won't even want/need a 9". It will cause some undesirable changes in handling. Also your suspension thus far seems more set up for a track car than street. QA1's are not meant for handling, they are meant for drag racing. In most cases a street car's suspension should be designed to handle rather than simply accelerate in a straight line. Also what kind of bushings do your LCA's and PHB have? For stock springs you probably didn't even need to get adjustables. If you really want to get the car set up correctly for what ever application it is you are going for I'd suggest you give Strano a call. He will help you get set up.

Now as for what rear bar is correct for you... it is absolutely impossible to give you any kind of qualified answer without knowing your front bar size. If it is the stock 30mm front bar then a bigger rear bar will only throw the cars balance off for the street. You should instead be looking at a bigger front bar if you want the car to behave on the street. Lastly if you are even thinking of cutting/heating your springs to get them to drop the car a bit... stop it. You can do the heater hose mod in the rear to drop it down about a half inch, and that would be a much better choice. If you want to go lower than that then you need to get aftermarket springs. Best of luck, hope you get the car set up how you are wanting.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Restricted User

It's a cam and bolt on car putting down 400rwhp/391rwtq. I plan on spraying a 150 shot so it will be fun. I chose the 9" because I've heard a ton of horror stories of people breaking 12 bolts with M6s. This is the type of advice I've been looking for, thank you. I was planning on just upgrading the rear swaybar but wasn't sure how that would affect the rest of the car. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whith that much power you may need to actually look at going up to a 35mm front bar so you can run a 21/22mm rear bar to help keep you a bit straighter off the line. The other thing that may help is some LCA relocation brackets which would help you launch better. What I assume you are trying to do is keep the car to where it will still be controllable in the corners for the street but still be able to do it's job at the track. This is not an easy thing to do since the two kind of counteract each other. I personally prefer the 10 bolt rear because of it's lower weight and diff options that help for cornering but at your level with a T56 I'd be worried about the rear as well. You will absolutely want adjustable shocks so you can dial the car in. Which ones are right for you... I'm not really qualified to say. Go ahead and get a good idea as to what you are really wanting out of the car and call up strano and talk it through with him. If you get it set up right the car should be a lot of fun to have.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Restricted User

Don't most people remove their front sway bars at the track? That's why I was going to upgrade just my rear. Wasn't sure how it was going to act on the street either so I was prepared to upgrade the front if I needed to.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The best setup you can possibly go with is Strano springs F/R, sway bars F/R, LCA relocation brackets, like tpunk said, and Koni's instead of the QA1s. If you go to the track occasionally, but want it to handle great, definately get the Konis, double adjustable if you can swing em, so you can adjust bound AND rebound for the drag strip. Anyway, thats the best setup, which will give you road course handling, but also be descent on the track. From what I've seen, the Konis are a huge increase over the DeCarbons in every aspect, and some people even like them better than the QA1s for the track. Guess it depends on the person driving as well though...
Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sending you a pm bud
Old 10-24-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by socmguy
Don't most people remove their front sway bars at the track? That's why I was going to upgrade just my rear. Wasn't sure how it was going to act on the street either so I was prepared to upgrade the front if I needed to.

Yeah, if you just upgraded the rear then you would cause the car to oversteer a lot more... and you don't want your rear end trying to beat the front end around a corner on the street . Removing the front bar at the track is fine, but if you get a hollow 35mm (like the strano bar) it isn't really taking too much weight off the front end. DA Koni's are indeed extremely nice shocks and I could see them doing very well for a street/strip car. It is really up to you as to how well you want to handle on the streets vs launch at the track. Some mods work well for both but others need to have sacrifices made one way or the other.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Restricted User

I understand what you're saying about cornering on the street. I want to keep the QA1s though. Since they're adjustable, won't I be able to adjust them when I go to the track and then back for the street? I've got a stock suspension on the front and really don't have any plans of changing it. I'm focusing mostly on lowering my ET right now.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by socmguy
I understand what you're saying about cornering on the street. I want to keep the QA1s though. Since they're adjustable, won't I be able to adjust them when I go to the track and then back for the street? I've got a stock suspension on the front and really don't have any plans of changing it. I'm focusing mostly on lowering my ET right now.
QA1s are pretty much just drag shocks. If you want, I have a set for the front of your car that will help in ET as well.

Yes, there adjustable, but only to a certain extend. Konis are adjustable as well, and ride MUCH better.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

In your specific situation I would either stick with the stock unit, or go with a drag bar.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:32 AM
Launching!

i think the best advise here is to talk to sam and tell him what you want. Everyone on here has an opinion but talk to the pro's about this one. your bill might get pretty pricey if you make the wrong decisions now.

Search this Thread