Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help with Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help with Torque Arm

I'm trying to install my Non-adjusting Torque arm on my hawk and I cannot get the right angle to get the holes to line up on the rear! The car is on jack stands, so I just tryed lowering the rear on the ramps and this helped a little. There is no way of using a punch or anything to try and line the hole cause it's off too much. What the hell am I doing wrong? The stock one came right off. Any comments welcome
Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you manage to slide it onto the rear end and the holes aren't lining up? or are you having a hard time getting the rear end angled right to slide the T/A onto the rear end? i know when i was installing mine, it was somewhat of a PITA to get the rear end angled right so that the torque arm would slide onto it
Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

try putting it on the rear first, then mounting the front of it up. It will be easier to put the 2 bolts on the rear in first, then push it upwards into position on the trans or crossmember. Whichever you have.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
try putting it on the rear first, then mounting the front of it up. It will be easier to put the 2 bolts on the rear in first, then push it upwards into position on the trans or crossmember. Whichever you have.
that's exactly right, much easier
Old 01-03-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
did you manage to slide it onto the rear end and the holes aren't lining up? or are you having a hard time getting the rear end angled right to slide the T/A onto the rear end? i know when i was installing mine, it was somewhat of a PITA to get the rear end angled right so that the torque arm would slide onto it
Hey rooster! See what I have been up to! Staying busy being aggrevated! Yes I tried sort of, cause the bushing end hits the bottom of the car before the holes line up. The angle shows me that the rear needs to come down and the front needs to go higher. I can't go any higher and the rear is on ramps now. I'm going to jack the rear back up and put the stands back under, and try to mount the rear first.

I am going to try this now! I did it the other way, trying to get the holes to line up last!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys! That's what it was, plus my brackets are some what to tight for it to even slide over the rear. That won't be too hard to fix.
Thanks 01FbTaWs6 and rooster99ss
Old 01-03-2009, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

no problem bro. I ran into the same damn problem. So did what I told you to do and made it MUCH easier.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

no problem bro. I ran into the same damn problem. So did what I told you to do and made it MUCH easier.
Damn right it did! But I have decided after 1 hour of not getting that top little bolt on the bushing end, to go in, that I'm quitting for the night, and going to the gym. Then when my boy gets home later, I'll get him to get that damn bolt started! Everything would of been easier with another pair of hands! Without that top bolt in, I can't tighten anything up and my Y- pipe still has to be put back on. No around tonight! Hell maybe I'll just drink some beer, then go to the gym! Thanks again, I was really worried for awhile!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last night I had a buddy come by and help (DKitchen) we spent about an hour trying to get that top bolt started on the clam shall We finally figured out that the bracket hole that the bolt goes thru some how was bent not allowing the bolt to thread thru! So I have to dremel out the hole and try again. I did have to hammer out the part that goes around the rear, that the 2 big bolts go thru. I hope to try again shortly.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem, removed the rear springs and the bolts went right in.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssPetess
I had the same problem, removed the rear springs and the bolts went right in.
That's not my problem now, I fixed that last night, it's the damn bracket that goes around the rubber bushing. The top little bolt is a pit to get to, then combine that with laying on cold *** concrete trying to get big *** hands into a position to turn that bolt! Having a lift would solve all the problems, but I will just have to rely on a cold one to keep me calm Thanks for your advice anyway!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

All finished! Finally got that damn bolt to thread! Too tired to go for a ride!