Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What are you doing to hook on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are you doing to hook on the street?

Sorry if this has been asked many times before. I searched and couldn't find much. What shocks/springs/settings are you guys running? Tires? Weight? I have a hardtop that I've stripped probably 200 pounds out of so far, with more to come. Not much suspension right now, lcas and lca relocates. Looking at shocks right now, see some people have lakewood 50/50s out back, or comp 3 ways instead of qa1s. I'm not reaaaaal close to a track and while some people may look down upon it I enjoy running on the street on a road that won't risk anybodies safety except for the ones racing. So what are you guys doing to effectively get your cars to hook on the street?

EDIT ~ I'm eyeballing qa1rs for the front along with probably a 275 spring for it. As for the torque arm, not sure yet but probably a tunnel mount adjustable one unless somebody things I should go with something different. I've read people are running 1.3 60s on comp 3 ways out back, but how are these on the street? The price is VERY appealing.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Banging some gears

well... i have a completely stock suspension on my car... not stock style... STOCK! i run a salad shooter wheel with 26x10.5 mt et street radial and hook my car really well on the street. 6speed, spec 3+ w/billet fw, lts, lid, tune, 150shot, 12bolt rear with 3:91 gear sprayin out the gate.. really depends on the road.. we run on a concrete stretch in a industrial park hooks great... black asphalt hooks like *** IMO how much power does your car make?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

setup ? are you stock ? auto or M6
Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

A good burnout and BFG DRs. That is all you need.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Default About your traction problem!

Originally Posted by L80Killa87
As for the torque arm, not sure yet but probably a tunnel mount adjustable one unless somebody things I should go with something different. I've read people are running 1.3 60s on comp 3 ways out back, but how are these on the street? The price is VERY appealing.
How do you drive the vehicle and what are your plans for it? Is it a daily driver? Does is see any track time? I would suggest an adjustable torque arm first. Depends on what you want to do with it........Below you will see a link that has a variety you could choose from. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Hope I could help!
Brad

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=130

Last edited by UMI Sales; 01-13-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

I'm actually considering a umi torque arm, I can't really keep the stock one after the tranny swap, I suppose I could but why try? The car is currently a m6, I have a th400 in my shop that I'll be rebuilding and installing in the car. The car is currently just a smidge over stock power. I have kn filter, ported maf, fra mod, no ac compressor, msd wires, no catback. I have headers and a wet nitrous kit laying around waiting for install. The car has blizzaks out back so needless to say even with the car being a stripper, the weight reduction I've done, the lcas and relocates, it doesn't hook at all. I'll be getting tires/wheels this spring though.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Forgot to answer the rest of your questions. The car is currently a daily driver. It won't remain so though. It will occasionally see the track. The track is like an hour away and in an area I never like going to. Theres a HUGE street scene locally so I want to mainly be part of that.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

All you need is a good set of slicks. I doubt you will be able to hook off of a T Brake on the street no matter what you have.

What sort of engine setup are you going with?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

I never said anything about a trans brake. As for engine setup its a few posts up, full bolt on and 100 shot.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm actually considering a umi torque arm, I can't really keep the stock one after the tranny swap, I suppose I could but why try? The car is currently a m6, I have a th400 in my shop that I'll be rebuilding and installing in the car. The car is currently just a smidge over stock power. I have kn filter, ported maf, fra mod, no ac compressor, msd wires, no catback. I have headers and a wet nitrous kit laying around waiting for install. The car has blizzaks out back so needless to say even with the car being a stripper, the weight reduction I've done, the lcas and relocates, it doesn't hook at all. I'll be getting tires/wheels this spring though.
Hello, my suggestion is a full length adjustable torque arm and your going to need a torque arm relocation crossmember if you decide to go with the turbo 400. Our relocation bracket also has adjustment holes in the front to allow you to adjust the front of the torque arm also moving the instant center. We are also a dealer for Strange and QA1. If you have any questions please give me a call or shoot me a pm.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
Attached Thumbnails What are you doing to hook on the street?-ta001-small.jpg   What are you doing to hook on the street?-tcc006-small.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

How big are your pockets? How strict is your local law enforcement?

I'm not into street scenes by any means nor am I into drag racing, but I would probably go with a shock that's not crap like the stock ones. For street stuff I personally wouldn't feel like dumping a ton of money into the car. I'd probably consider a set of Bilstein shocks from Strano. I don't even see a lot of drag strip people recommending QA1's. Seems like they are all recommending Strange or AFCO. QA1's I don't think were in the cheap category from what I remember. But really for street use where you probalby won't be doing wheelies any time soon, just a better shock would probably be enough to control wheelhop.

Relo brackets, lowest hole will probably help traction. Torque arm. LCA's. Keep the stock springs. Decent tires... not sure how serious you want to get for still using to daily drive on. I've seen some people driving on MT's on the street which is a bit much. Some people don't want to drive on 555r nittos. I'd say local law enforcement probably will have an effect on your tire decision. There isn't a lot of street racing here in MA compared to like Miami or California because law enforcement will crack down on it and typically young immature kids are the only ones trying to organize those things around here
Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

Default Another Idea for you!!!!!

I'm actually considering a umi torque arm, I can't really keep the stock one after the tranny swap, I suppose I could but why try? The car is currently a m6, I have a th400 in my shop that I'll be rebuilding and installing in the car.
Hello,
Thanks for considering UMI Performance I will be glad to take care of any of your problems. If you are wanting a aftermarket Torque Arm to take care of your traction problem! with your m6 transmission as long as you still have the factory torque arm mount on your transmission! I recommend Part #2205.Which is a factory style aftermarket adjustable replacement. And when it comes time for the transmission swap all you will need to do is get a Torque Arm Relocation Kit which is part #2213. The torque arm relocation kit allows you to run the turbo 400 and has a integrated torque arm mount that will work with the factory torque arm or any aftermarket torque arm that mounts in the factory location. Below there are some links to show with products I am talking about. If you have any other questions feel free to call or ask!

http://umiperformance.com/2205?category_id=130

http://www.umiperformance.com/2213?category_id=131

Hope we could Help!
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not worried about having a torque arm while the t56 is in there. Just after the th400 is in, thats why I want the tunnel mount instead of a factory style. Local law enforcement is strict on ricers but they love the domestic cars, so they let em slide with pretty much NO exhaust and whatever tires you want. I've been looking at 30x12.5x15 bias ply for the rear. The scene in kc is huge and VERY organized.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

boltons and 100 shot. all you need is a 15 X 8 sald shoot with some et streets. there is a guy down here that is running that setup and he has boltons, 3000 stall A4, nano push w/ 100 shot and 15X8s. he runs 11.00 @ 12X.

Look for him on this board his name is like ruckus46gt or something like that.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but I don't intend on buying a set of salad shooters just for the rear. I'm kind of purpose building my car. I pulled more insulation out today, ripped the remaining speakers out, even the clear plastic lining the doors. The tire setup I have in mind should help the car hook very well on the street, which is the MAIN purpose of the car, as much as it may be frowned upon. I'm unsure of the car's current weight but I'm curious to find out, I may hop on a scale tomorrow and find out. As I stated, not trying to sound like a jerk, but I want the car to be built strictly for drag, and more so for on the street.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not worried about having a torque arm while the t56 is in there. Just after the th400 is in, thats why I want the tunnel mount instead of a factory style.
Ok that is no problem at all... I think Brad was thinking you wanted a torque arm to work with both transmission. Since you do not, all the tunnel mounted torque arms we offer will work and fit just fine with your TH400. All you would need is the correct transmission crossmember for the TH400.. if you do not already have one we can help there as well.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure what I'm going to do about a crossmember yet, I may buy one, but I may just use a spacer with my t56 crossmember for now.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

My street launches/hooks are perfect,being that I'm old school from the 60s' when gears and torque ruled the streets in 'light to light' streetfighting,I've set it up to duplicate that era.
Stock hp with no bolt-ons(I don't consider my SLP CAI as something that was installed to benefit launches),TCI 'breakaway'convertor,4.56:1 gears in a 10 bolt,BMR bolt-in relos,QA1 double adjustable rear shocks,and Nitto 315-35/17 Drag Radials.Stock springs,front and rear.
Shock settings I use are 24 for compression so the shock acts like a solid member for utilizing the weight transfer to push the rearend into the pavement(I don't want any of that potential weight transfer energy to be absorbed by the springs) and 0 for rebound to allow the relos to freely lift/push up against the body,thereby also pushing the rearend into the pavement.This 24C/0R with the relos are reminiscent of the 60s' when applying 'lift bars' and stiff air shocks and air bags for street launches.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Interesting concept. I noticed you don't have front shocks listed though. Couldn't you potentially be missing out on even better launches?
Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=FirstYrLS1Z;10859600]My street launches/hooks are perfectQUOTE]

Thats a BOLD claim sir. Once i get mine up running on monday ill be looking for ways to hook mine up as well.

So you guys think that the torque arm is the weakest link for hooking up on the street?