Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

umi tunnel mount vs umi relocated torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Yes a torque arm is a great traction item... however if you currently have no suspension items now you can start with smaller items at first (less expensive as well). Does the vehicle have any suspension items now? Or Just drag radials?
Stock 2002 SS suspension, Wheel spin seemed to be the problem, no wheel hop.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Stock 2002 SS suspension, Wheel spin seemed to be the problem, no wheel hop.
To start I would recommend a set of control arm relocation brackets and a good set of control arms. The control arm relocation brackets work as a ant-squat bracket and plant the rear end harder into the ground... they are a very inexpensive traction device and we recommend them. Also control arms help to eliminate deflection found in the stock bushings and flex in the stock control arms.

I posted two links below... please take a look and let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to help.

www.umiperformance.com/2012

www.umiperformance.com/2015

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
To start I would recommend a set of control arm relocation brackets and a good set of control arms. The control arm relocation brackets work as a ant-squat bracket and plant the rear end harder into the ground... they are a very inexpensive traction device and we recommend them. Also control arms help to eliminate deflection found in the stock bushings and flex in the stock control arms.

I posted two links below... please take a look and let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to help.

www.umiperformance.com/2012

www.umiperformance.com/2015

Thank you!
Ryan
Yeah I was looking at them today. so you suggest the bolt on relocation brackets over the weld on ones? Also I see that almost everyone here has them. But It seems like I remember Stano not caring for them, But I dont rember why.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I was looking at them today. so you suggest the bolt on relocation brackets over the weld on ones? Also I see that almost everyone here has them. But It seems like I remember Stano not caring for them, But I dont rember why.
Both the weld in and bolt in will work fine... most people do not have welding capabilities so that is why I recommend the bolt ones.

The relocation brackets may not work best for handling applications... but when trying to lower 60' times and increase they work great!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was talking to the local performance shop about the tunnel mount torque arm and they were saying that since there is no real reeinforcement in the middle of the car, that with enough torque I will dent the floor board? Is there any truth to this? I was looking toward this one more than the full legth torque arm.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RsSean
I was talking to the local performance shop about the tunnel mount torque arm and they were saying that since there is no real reeinforcement in the middle of the car, that with enough torque I will dent the floor board? Is there any truth to this? I was looking toward this one more than the full legth torque arm.
I have seen that posted in this forum before. If you search, you will find some pics.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

I have seen that posted in this forum before. If you search, you will find some pics.
Interesting I will have to do some more searching, I wasent able to find anything when I looked.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Teching In

my understanding was that the tunnel mount ta was more so to be used with the 3-point subframe in order distribute the torque load through out the subframes instead of your floor
Old 01-30-2009, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

quick question guys i have ur tunnel mounted torque arm and it's an awesome piece. i've had it for about two years without any issues. i now ordered the pivot plates for adjusting my instant center and i had one question. what bolt size do i need use to hook the plates up?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
any noticeable noise increase with that setup? Clunking, Banging?
I had one and it makes alot more noise. Clunking when shifting gears and if you have any gear whine from the rear than this is amplified X 10,000.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I had one and it makes alot more noise. Clunking when shifting gears and if you have any gear whine from the rear than this is amplified X 10,000.
Through a trans mounted unit? I have the tunnel mounted setup waiting to be installed I figure I would try it first before I wrote it off and got the trans mounted unit.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Through a trans mounted unit? I have the tunnel mounted setup waiting to be installed I figure I would try it first before I wrote it off and got the trans mounted unit.
Trans mounted torque arm with a relocation tranny mount. I had a tunnel mounted torque arm years ago for like one week, that was all I could stand of that.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

hahaha Hopefully I dont have the same experience. I'm waiting for my new rear-end to install it then I will be able to try it out.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Trans mounted torque arm with a relocation tranny mount. I had a tunnel mounted torque arm years ago for like one week, that was all I could stand of that.
Careful...some people will crusify you for saying they make noise
Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

any noticeable noise increase with that setup? Clunking, Banging?
I just installed mine last weekend, I haven't noticed any extra noises. very nice install. Took about 3 hours to remove everything and we installed UMI Tunnel mount TA, upper lower panhard bars w/ relocation bracket. Also went with their driveshaft loop. My car feels like it is going to launch into space now. I feel sorry for my stock 10 bolt!! lol
Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Good!

Originally Posted by SURPRYZ
I just installed mine last weekend, I haven't noticed any extra noises. very nice install. Took about 3 hours to remove everything and we installed UMI Tunnel mount TA, upper lower panhard bars w/ relocation bracket. Also went with their driveshaft loop. My car feels like it is going to launch into space now. I feel sorry for my stock 10 bolt!! lol
Hello,
Glad you like the new set-up and I am sure you wont be disappointed in the performance either! If you have any other questions feel free to ask we will be more than glad to help.
Thanks Again,
Brad

Quick Reply: umi tunnel mount vs umi relocated torque arm