Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

umi tunnel mount vs umi relocated torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default umi tunnel mount vs umi relocated torque arm

which is better the tunnel mounted torque arm or the relocated torque arm using a new transmission cross member, i've got the umi 3-point sub frame connectors that the tunnel mounted would tie everything together but, i'm looking at adding headers and true duals with an H-pipe, does anyone know which be the easiest to route exhaust around and which one provide the best 60 ft time if and differance
Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

UMI says you can run duals with the tunnel mount, but most exhaust shops wont even talk to you for less then 400 bucks, I ended up just dumping the Y pipe(super cheap )
As far as drag racing is concerned, the general Idea is the Tunnel mount is the best, but plenty have gone sub 1.5s on a standard lenght torque arm.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Teching In

alright thank you, i noticed that you ran a 7.91 @ 90 and 7.29 @ 96 on the dope how much you putting to it cause i thinking bout sneaking alil shot on mine
Old 01-28-2009, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Mine was on a 150 shot. Had traction hop all the way through the 60ft though. I run all UMI myself, Im using the Tunnel mount on mine and love it.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Teching In

more than likely thats what i'll end up up with the tunnel mount and a 150 shot, i wanna break into the 6s, the fastest i've gotten is 8.06 @ 89.5 with a 1.908 60ft with nothin but worn out et streets, all ive done is a volant cold air, lightweight flywheel and stage 3 clutch, and 4.11s with some hp tuning, i'm hoping with the tunnel mount torque arm and some lca's i can drop my 60 ft

Last edited by 01screaminchickin; 01-28-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Itll take more motor for a 6spd to be honest, I was cutting 1.60s and thats what I was getting, my times were in the summer, If I ran in the fall It would have went 6s... Im guessing your sitting on a 9", Ive upgraded the whole rear now, bout to order shocks soon, Hoping for low 1.5s or better, but thats where your going to pick up time, takes a hell of a lot of power to get into the 6s without traction. good luck with it, 1st gear spraying is wicked =)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for the interest in our products and I will be glad to help.

Since it appears you are going more for the drag racing side and traction I would recommend the tunnel mounted set-up. Also since you already have the 3-Point SFC's the tunnel mounted torque arm will tie in very nice. The tunnel mounted torque arm will bolt under the SFC's and allow the load of the torque to be applied into the SFC's rather than the vehicles floor.

The only down fall to the tunnel mounted torque arm is its not very friendly when running true duals. If you wish to run true duals with the tunnel mounted torque arm we recommend to have a exhaust shop custom build the system around the torque arm. We have seen this done many times and it works nice... but off the shelf true duals won't work. The full length torque arm and relocation kit will clear with a true dual system and any other exhaust set-up.

Please review this information and let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Thanks for the interest in our products and I will be glad to help.

Since it appears you are going more for the drag racing side and traction I would recommend the tunnel mounted set-up. Also since you already have the 3-Point SFC's the tunnel mounted torque arm will tie in very nice. The tunnel mounted torque arm will bolt under the SFC's and allow the load of the torque to be applied into the SFC's rather than the vehicles floor.

The only down fall to the tunnel mounted torque arm is its not very friendly when running true duals. If you wish to run true duals with the tunnel mounted torque arm we recommend to have a exhaust shop custom build the system around the torque arm. We have seen this done many times and it works nice... but off the shelf true duals won't work. The full length torque arm and relocation kit will clear with a true dual system and any other exhaust set-up.

Please review this information and let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Ryan
I'm interested in the same thing as the OP. How well does the transmission mount fare with racing? I'm interested in a torque arm at the moment as well, but in the future I'll be looking for a set of true duals and the premade sets of duals are affordable and quite nice. I know an exhaust shop is probably going to charge me alot for what im looking for.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Default Hello

Hello,
The transmission mount works fine! But when you start make some serious power and are launching the car and its hooking..... you might break the mount off the rear of the transmission. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help.
Thanks Again,
Brad
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

oh ok, well thats good to know. thank you!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello,
The transmission mount works fine! But when you start make some serious power and are launching the car and its hooking..... you might break the mount off the rear of the transmission. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help.
Thanks Again,
Brad
Originally Posted by Ironxcross
oh ok, well thats good to know. thank you!
use the tranny ta reloc mount http://www.umiperformance.com/2207?category_id=131
Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello,
Thanks Again,
Brad
yea thats why i went with the relocation kit. for my 6 speed car. breaking the trans is the last thing on my mind
Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

any noticeable noise increase with that setup? Clunking, Banging?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up noise question

Hello,
You shouldn't have any noise problem!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

so will these T/A's do anything for traction? Went to the drags for the first time last night, and could only get 2.15 60 ft times on D/R's.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
so will these T/A's do anything for traction? Went to the drags for the first time last night, and could only get 2.15 60 ft times on D/R's.

was the car spinning or is that all the car had?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Hello,

Yes a torque arm is a great traction item... however if you currently have no suspension items now you can start with smaller items at first (less expensive as well). Does the vehicle have any suspension items now? Or Just drag radials?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

hey ryan, i put my ta on the mount all the way to the top. will that give me the best traction? also its a street car so wound a pinion angle of -1* be good
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bad6as
hey ryan, i put my ta on the mount all the way to the top. will that give me the best traction? also its a street car so wound a pinion angle of -1* be good
The higher the torque arm goes up the further back it moves the instant center point... we have found this setting to work best on low to mid horse-power vehicles. Also -1 on the pinion angle should be good for the street and work well for you.

If we can help anymore please ask. Thank you!

Ryan
Old 01-30-2009, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

makes 400 na and 550 on n20 has a built trans, pst drive shaft, 9" with full spool and 3.90s. umi sfc, umi single adj lca, umi adj ta, umi relocation kit. kyb shocks and 26x10.5x16 et streets. still has front sway bar and stock rims and tires on the front. and is 3675 race
weight

n/a i do a 5k dump and get high 1.6 (now has spool and relocation kit)
n20 still trying

Quick Reply: umi tunnel mount vs umi relocated torque arm