Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sears TECHS SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sears TECHS SUCK!

So i go to sears last night, and drop my car off so they can install the Shocks and Struts i picked up. I know I know, this is a do it yourselfer... But its way too cold out here, and i needed them done. Besides its only 140 for the install at sears, plus 60 for the allignment. With all said and done they only charged me $205. When i dropped it off they told me 2-2.5 hours max. It was 4:00 pm. So first the tech lifts my cars by the fender mounts, so they bulged out. I ask the manager what they are going to do about fixing it, and the kid is smackin it with a hammer tryin to bend it back. By the time 630 rolled around they hadnt even touched the rear shocks. They were still looking at the front struts out of the car wondering how to remove the spring perch. As for the rears, they couldnt figure out how to get to them! So here i am in decent clothes, showing the tech how to get the carpet and panels out of they way, getting filthy in their shop. So i get the car back about 930pm. My fenders are scratched to **** on both sides, they are still bulging out, and i watched the kid do my alignment in about 4 min. I didnt even get a copy of the alignment printout. If i would have known i was going to waste 5.5 hours sittin there watching incompetence reach new levels i would have just done it myself. So now i have to go back and see what they are going to do about my fenders.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Default tech lol

they are NOT tech @ sears, common laborers with a tool ????????
Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

WOW !!! Demand your money back..that is if you paid, I would of rolled out of there, As far as the body damage, take some photo's just incase they try to pull a fast one !!! Sorry to hear that though.

On a side note, were your shocks and struts that bad that you had to have them do it right then? Anyway I hope you dont get screwed in this deal. Good luck
Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks. Hope everything works out for you, but really Sears should have been your last resort.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Launching!

No one else would touch the car out here! A mechanic by me told me $800 since it was a "custom" install (ie removing spring perches). Taking pictures today, goin to sears afterwards. Im going nuts right now... i need to wash the car and then see if i can polish and wax the fenders clean. Yes im showing them first and taking high res pictures.

Yes, the car needed an alignment. Terrible steering jumps on bumps, and the struts were clunking. Hell they had 114k on them far as i know.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

That sucks, but thanks for giving the heads up about the terrible, useless service.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Launching!

for the record, they all arent like this! I went to the one in Staten Island, the one in New Brunswick NJ has done all my cars in the past and they are awesome. Fender covers, quick work, honest service. Hell one time they even told me i needed so many bushings and so much work done it wasnt worth putting the money into the car. They put it all back together and didnt charge me. Thats why i take my car there. I have brought all 12 of my cars there over the years for various things. Just really Ticked Off now!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

don't go to sears auto. they suck more dick than a ***** on christmas
Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oberth1
No one else would touch the car out here! A mechanic by me told me $800 since it was a "custom" install (ie removing spring perches).
Are you serious, $800?????
Sounds like that mechanic works @ the shop I was going to have change my plugs and wires that wanted to charge me $600.
I just started using other people's garages and doing all my own work (of course now I have a garage of my own)and puttin the extra $ in my pocket.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

go to a sponsor in the area

sears lol
Old 02-15-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now you have learned your lesson. No one is qualified to work on an f-body unless they are on the right>>>>>>>>>>>>

Make them pay up for the damage and have a body shop repair any damage. I wouldn't let Sears mess up anything more than they already have.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

or on the left

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

lol, well if you know how

GL with sears tho
Old 02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Teching In

i got an interveiw for one of the jobs at sears on wedensday and if there anything liek that here ill be a shoe in for shop manager lol sorry to hear about that bro id be furious
Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by oberth1
So i go to sears last night, and drop my car off so they can install the Shocks and Struts i picked up. I know I know, this is a do it yourselfer... But its way too cold out here, and i needed them done. Besides its only 140 for the install at sears, plus 60 for the allignment. With all said and done they only charged me $205. When i dropped it off they told me 2-2.5 hours max. It was 4:00 pm. So first the tech lifts my cars by the fender mounts, so they bulged out. I ask the manager what they are going to do about fixing it, and the kid is smackin it with a hammer tryin to bend it back. By the time 630 rolled around they hadnt even touched the rear shocks. They were still looking at the front struts out of the car wondering how to remove the spring perch. As for the rears, they couldnt figure out how to get to them! So here i am in decent clothes, showing the tech how to get the carpet and panels out of they way, getting filthy in their shop. So i get the car back about 930pm. My fenders are scratched to **** on both sides, they are still bulging out, and i watched the kid do my alignment in about 4 min. I didnt even get a copy of the alignment printout. If i would have known i was going to waste 5.5 hours sittin there watching incompetence reach new levels i would have just done it myself. So now i have to go back and see what they are going to do about my fenders.
sorry to hear your bad experience; i know its really hit/miss with shops i've had my run in with paying for horrible service/work. Good Luck
Old 02-15-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like they let a new guy work on your car. im a tech at sears and if that were to happen at our shop he would have been fired that day and we would have fixed your car. sears shops are hit and miss. our suspension guys have been there for 10+ years so they know what they are doing. our shop only lets young guys do batteries, tires and oil changes, so its pretty hard to screw up. sorry about your experience man. my advice to you would be go to the HR department at sears and complain. they will fix your problem immediately.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Well they comped the whole job, Install of shocks and the alignment. Plus they comped me the compound, wax and detailing kit (so now i have 5 sittin here) so i could get the scratches out. Came out in 5 min. Fenders got fixed by them, mostly. So i got a free alignment, more crap to wash the car with, and my suspension $320. Not too bad of a deal.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice. glad they comped you and werent dicks about it
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why in the world would you go to Sears of all places..
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, glad they took care of it for you.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the time you won't get qualified people at these places. Every once in a while you get lucky, but is that worth the risk?

Quick Reply: Sears TECHS SUCK!