Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Watts Link Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Watts Link Question

I have been looking at all the threads I can find on the Watts Link and have noticed most people who have pictured the install have no exhaust on the car (at least no muffler). On Sam's website the picture looks to have the GMMG installed with the Watts. I have the factory Dual/Dual on my 02 SS and from the pictures it looks like it might be a tight fit at best, may even interfere with the Watts link install. My question is whether anyone has installed the Watts Link on a car with factory style muffler mounted?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I run an SLP exhaust on my car (Loudmouth). It's tight, but I have plenty of room with a thicker washer between the bolt on hanger and bracket on the over the axle pipe. Easy, cheap, and effective. The muffler is not in the way, at all. I have customers with all kinds of systems. Only tight at the over axle pipe, and again--nothing to worry about.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that getting a watts which removes the panhard bar, actually makes it easier for people with true duals to go over the axle.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

And it does if the issue with your duals is the angle of the PHB brace... This is a matter of how the frame of the Watts kicks back, and most true duals are somewhat custom. A watts still gains you some room normally side to side.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wicknewman
I have been looking at all the threads I can find on the Watts Link and have noticed most people who have pictured the install have no exhaust on the car (at least no muffler). On Sam's website the picture looks to have the GMMG installed with the Watts. I have the factory Dual/Dual on my 02 SS and from the pictures it looks like it might be a tight fit at best, may even interfere with the Watts link install. My question is whether anyone has installed the Watts Link on a car with factory style muffler mounted?
I have a hooker exhaust. It is a smaller muffler than stock but it does have some clearance.

My car isn't perfect but here is a pic. Ok, yea its a pos (my car not the watts link)
Attached Thumbnails Watts Link Question-dscn0336.jpg  
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the picture of the Hooker muffler. I know it can be hard to judge from pictures but I have included a reference point in some pictures taken by other members who have installed the Watts Link. As you can see the upper panhard bar is on the front side of the muffler heat shield mount tab as I have circled in the first picture. The Watts Link is on the backside of this tab. My Dual/Dual muffler is only about 1.25" behind this mount tab. I know the Watts frame is 1" square tubing so this is why I thought my muffler might be in the way. I know the picture may be deceiving but this is the reason I just wanted to see a stock size muffler installed. This tab may also be bent out of the way to accommodate the Watts Link. I can’t tell from the picture but it does not appear to be bent very much.

Do you have any more pictures of the area between the muffler and Watts Link 2002_Z28_Six_Speed?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Launching!

I initially did some clearancing on my over the axle pipe and once I got the Corsa hooked back up it may not have even been necessary. It is tight...no doubt...but there is no contact and vibration that I've noticed.

I'll try to get some pictures.

-Matt
Old 04-17-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a stock exhaust back then, so i just took it off and left it as an open y pipe for a while, but i have what i have now.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Launching!

As you can see the upper panhard bar is on the front side of the muffler heat shield mount tab as I have circled in the first picture. The Watts Link is on the backside of this tab. My Dual/Dual muffler is only about 1.25" behind this mount tab.]

Sorry for the dumb question but I thought your not supposed to have a panhard bar when you get the watts link??
Old 04-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Launching!

nevermind 2 seperate pics lol
Old 04-17-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to poke around
Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I'd have to poke around
Understand. What would you estimate the distance to be between the Watts and your muffler? I know the hooker is smaller than the Dual/Dual but just to get an idea.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Understand. What would you estimate the distance to be between the Watts and your muffler? I know the hooker is smaller than the Dual/Dual but just to get an idea.
Did you ever order one and get it installed? I ask because I'm planning on getting one but I too have a dual/dual exhaust and now I'm wondering on clearance.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

I have not purchased the Watts link yet. I never managed to find anyone with the Dual/Dual setup with one. Like I said before the pictures are probably real deceiving but it looks like there might be interference. It would also not surprise me if there ended up being an inch or two to spare, just wish I could see pictures of the Watts and Dual/Dual on the same car. I don't think many people keep stock exhaust and install this so I might have to find out the hard way.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

if this helps, i'm running the watts link with the magnaflow catback which i believe is a full size muffler with absolutely no problems
Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the picture of the Hooker muffler. I know it can be hard to judge from pictures but I have included a reference point in some pictures taken by other members who have installed the Watts Link. As you can see the upper panhard bar is on the front side of the muffler heat shield mount tab as I have circled in the first picture. The Watts Link is on the backside of this tab. My Dual/Dual muffler is only about 1.25" behind this mount tab. I know the Watts frame is 1" square tubing so this is why I thought my muffler might be in the way. I know the picture may be deceiving but this is the reason I just wanted to see a stock size muffler installed. This tab may also be bent out of the way to accommodate the Watts Link. I can’t tell from the picture but it does not appear to be bent very much.

Do you have any more pictures of the area between the muffler and Watts Link 2002_Z28_Six_Speed?

THANK YOU finally some pics that give us some views of how this bad boy lines up. love it

Quick Reply: Watts Link Question