Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension for street/strip car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension for street/strip car

Would like some info as I plan the suspension upgrades for the '99 Camaro Z28 I've owned since June '05.

Some background info:
Car is driven 3-5k miles in the summer months. Car has just over 60k mi. on it. Right now the best ET to date is 12.84 at 106mph w/ a 2.0 60' time. I want to say that the car weighed 3360 w/o me in it 2 years ago. So a raceweight of about 3500lbs. w/ me in it.

Mods include: slp lid, jet-hot coated lt headers, texas speed true duals, ported tb, iridium plugs/msd wires, 180* t-stat, ls6 intake, tune, pro 5.0, m/t drag radials

Car put down 346/354 two summers ago in 100* shop temps.

Have a 25% underdrive pulley waiting to be installed. Saving up for a 12bolt or 9inch, so I've been babying it off the line at the track. Also looking to upgrade the clutch in the future.

The only thing done to the car suspension wise is an adj. Spohn panhard bar with the poly/rod-end combo ends.

Some things I've had in mind are the following (not necessarily in this order). Could you give opinions on your experience with some of these parts with your set-up or if something else works better for my application.

shocks: konis vs. drag shocks
springs: strano vs. drag springs
front sway bar: strano hollow front (possibly run front with one endlink disconnected at track)
rear sway bar: strano hollow rear vs. heavy duty rear drag bar
adj. rear lower control arms (and relocation brackets?): poly/rod-end combo vs. rod/rod ends
motor mounts: polyurethane vs. solid
alignment: specs?
brakes: brembo blanks and either hawk ceramic or hawk hps pads

Not really interested in changing the torque arm or adding sfc at this point in time.

Maybe a few years down the road I would think about doing the front suspension: tubular k-member, tubular front a-arms, etc.

Goals are primarily a street driven car for the summer months. Also frequent the track as a hobby approx. 2-5 times a season. Would like to have a reliable car at the track and possibly run high 11's with just the bolt-ons above and suspension (upgraded rear of course before attempting that).

However I would like to plan things so that in the future if I decide to swap heads/cam (~400-450rwhp) or increase displacement/spray (~500-750rwhp?) when the motor needs to be refreshed (at this rate not for a long time, knocks on wood) that most of the suspension upgrades would still be sufficient for that application.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Last edited by chae; 05-25-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chae
Would like some info as I plan the suspension upgrades for the '99 Camaro Z28 I've owned since June '05.

Some background info:
Car is driven 3-5k miles in the summer months. Car has just over 60k mi. on it. Right now the best ET to date is 12.84 at 106mph w/ a 2.0 60' time. I want to say that the car weighed 3360 w/o me in it 2 years ago. So a raceweight of about 3500lbs. w/ me in it.

Mods include: slp lid, jet-hot coated lt headers, texas speed true duals, ported tb, iridium plugs/msd wires, 180* t-stat, ls6 intake, tune, pro 5.0, m/t drag radials

Car put down 346/354 two summers ago in 100* shop temps.

Have a 25% underdrive pulley waiting to be installed. Saving up for a 12bolt or 9inch, so I've been babying it off the line at the track. Also looking to upgrade the clutch in the future.

The only thing done to the car suspension wise is an adj. Spohn panhard bar with the poly/rod-end combo ends.

Some things I've had in mind are the following (not necessarily in this order). Could you give opinions on your experience with some of these parts with your set-up or if something else works better for my application.
If you haven't already, read though this sticky for a general understanding of suspension:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html

You will have to pick your poison here, the more of a drag setup you have the less comfortable of a street car it will be, and the more of a handling/touring setup you have the worse the car will transfer weight and launch.

shocks: konis vs. drag shocks
springs: strano vs. drag springs
These two comparisons are polar opposites.
The first two are designed for best handling, the second two are designed for launching the car.
Your best compromise IMO is to stick with stock springs and use just the single adjustable konis (maybe double adjustable in the rear for use with the heavier rear end, talk to Strano about it).
This will yield you with a really nice ride, awesome handling, and a decent launch (when adjusted correctly).

front sway bar: strano hollow front (possibly run front with one endlink disconnected at track)
Not a bad plan.

rear sway bar: strano hollow rear vs. heavy duty rear drag bar
The strano bar will be lighter, much better matched for handling and won't ride as bad as a large drag bar. A better compromise might be looking into an adjustable rear bar like the Hellwig.

adj. rear lower control arms (and relocation brackets?): poly/rod-end combo vs. rod/rod ends
The relocation brackets will hurt handling but help launching, and the lower control arms may hurt handling as well as ride quality(depending on what you go with) because of binding.
brakes: brembo blanks and either hawk ceramic or hawk hps pads
I don't know anything about Hawk's ceramic pads, this is a question to call Strano about again.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input JD_AMG.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
These two comparisons are polar opposites.
The first two are designed for best handling, the second two are designed for launching the car.
Figured the main decision lies in what shocks to run. I seem to be leaning toward the Koni's based on what the car is/will be used for. Your suggestion of single adj. in the front and double adj. in the rear is definitely something I'll have to look into. Not sure when I'll be replacing the shocks though since a set of Konis is upwards of $800. At least that will give me time to think it through some more as I save up for them.

I think I'll give Strano a call this week and order the front sway bar (hope there are some left in this batch) and see if I can't decide on a rear sway bar. I just saw there is also an adj. version of the 22mm hollow rear bar he sells so I'll inquire about that as well.

Also want to do the polyurethane motor mounts soon so I'll look into purchasing those within the next 2 weeks. Later in the season I'll do a full brake job (rotors, pads, etc.) and maybe stainless steel lines as well. I listed the ceramic Hawk pads since the stock pads are ceramic, but also heard of many using the Hawk HPS composite pads. Will have to do some more reading on the stopping power and amount of dust given off for each.

I welcome others for input based on their experience.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello I noticed that you are looking into getting a set of adjustable lower control arms and relocation brackets. I just wanted to throw this out there for you that UMI Performance offers a wide variety of control arms to meet the consumers needs. And we also offer two versions of the relocation brackets a weld on and a bolt on. Below is a link to show you what we have to offer!

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=125

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=119

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Talked to Sam Strano last week and I'm going to order his front and rear sway bar set this week once I get paid. Poly motor mounts next week maybe. Rotors/pads later this summer. Koni shocks/springs next year and hopefully a rearend and clutch upgrades as well.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds Good! Keep us posted on how everything is going!
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello I noticed that you are looking into getting a set of adjustable lower control arms and relocation brackets. I just wanted to throw this out there for you that UMI Performance offers a wide variety of control arms to meet the consumers needs. And we also offer two versions of the relocation brackets a weld on and a bolt on. Below is a link to show you what we have to offer!
Brad
+1 for UMI Performance.Most of my suspension on my Z28 was from them.I went 12.40's w/307 rwhp.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up UMI Performance!

Originally Posted by Scary Guy
+1 for UMI Performance.Most of my suspension on my Z28 was from them.I went 12.40's w/307 rwhp.
Thank You very much! Great to hear that you are satisfied with the products. And thanks again for the business!
Thanks
Brad