Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Couldn't find much, SBC k-member?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couldn't find much, SBC k-member?

So I did a search about putting a SBC into a 96' firebird and I didn't get much info. Someone was talking about a SBC/BBC they planned on doing but that's about it. So is there a company that makes one?

I am picking up a 96' firebird roller for $500 but it had a v6 in it. I planned on doing a standard SBC turbo motor in it seeing as how I have parts lying around to get started. So can someone point me in the right direction as far as a K-Member? Does someone make one that will work? I am still in the air about tubular A-Arms, don't really know if I will really need them unless someone gives me a really good reason to get them. Alot of the other parts will come from UMI most likely cause I have ordered parts from them before.

Thanks alot,
Greg
Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Edit- I see BMR makes one it looks like, anyone have any opinion on this piece? I am not going to be using a motor plate also.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by greggy2belly
So I did a search about putting a SBC into a 96' firebird and I didn't get much info. Someone was talking about a SBC/BBC they planned on doing but that's about it. So is there a company that makes one?

I am picking up a 96' firebird roller for $500 but it had a v6 in it. I planned on doing a standard SBC turbo motor in it seeing as how I have parts lying around to get started. So can someone point me in the right direction as far as a K-Member? Does someone make one that will work? I am still in the air about tubular A-Arms, don't really know if I will really need them unless someone gives me a really good reason to get them. Alot of the other parts will come from UMI most likely cause I have ordered parts from them before.

Thanks alot,
Greg

Hello, yes we do make a sbc/bbc k member for the fourth gen f bodies. The k member is a direct bolt in and its accommodates any old style small block or bigblock. The k member is also available in a high clearance turbo style. If you have any questions please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails Couldn't find much, SBC k-member?-km005hsmall.jpg   Couldn't find much, SBC k-member?-km015hsmall.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Is the high-clearence necessary for a turbo kit or would I be able to route piping around the tubes there?

Also is there really any benefits of the A-Arms besides weight when it comes to drag racing?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by greggy2belly
Is the high-clearence necessary for a turbo kit or would I be able to route piping around the tubes there?

Also is there really any benefits of the A-Arms besides weight when it comes to drag racing?
No its not necessary. It possible to run turbo's with our non turbo k members. We just made one with extra room.

To be honest our a arms locate everything back in the stock location. You do save 5 lbs per arm.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a complete BMR front suspension setup and it's well made. Only issue I have run into is the manual steering rack and it's tie rods.

I'm trying to remedy the tie rod issue as we speak.

If I had to do it again I would go with a chromoly motor plate setup instead of the K-member mount setup but it's a very nice piece and I cant complain at all.

Except about the tie rods!!!!!!!

By the way I'm in the middle of a similar swap as we speak so if you have any questions feel free to send em my way.

~Jim~
Old 06-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Jim, it's nice to see your from IL as well.

What issue are you having with the tie-rod ends? I still planned on using the stock rack for right now, maybe down the road when funds go back up I will look into ti.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock rack makes use of a standard female tie rod setup. It has a tapered bolt that goes through the spindle which has a matching taper to insure a tight connection for the steering rack.

The manual rack (I can only speak for BMR's) comes with a bolt and aluminum spacers. You have to drill the taper out of your spindle and use the spacers to make a compression joint at the spindle. Here's what I don't like. You have about a 1/8 to 1/16 of contact area between the bolt and the spindle. The rest of it is being held by the compression of the bolt and spacers. That’s going to develop slop in the steering. I don't feel comfortable with that design so I went on the hunt for something stock-ish.

My remedy is a set of Baer trackers that I'm going to put on a lathe to fit in the BMR supplied heim joints. This will make for a much better looking and functioning connection. Now I'm slowly approaching a price tag of 1K for a manual steering rack. Not to mention time I've lost because I can't roll the car any where.

But thats the fun on working on hot rodded cars. They aggrevate you to no end but when they're done you could careless about any of the problems.

Where in IL are you?

~Jim~
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Orland Park area, but the car will be going out to NewLenox at my buddy's shop

Quick Reply: Couldn't find much, SBC k-member?