Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Changing Brake pads... Brake calipers wont budge

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Brake pads... Brake calipers wont budge

Ive broken a 3 inch steel C clamp and a 4 inch steel C clamp trying to compress the Brake caliper pistons. They wont budge. Anything I can do about this? Or should I just buy new calipers?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

BTW, This is on my TA which sat around for a little bit... the brakes were in really bad shape, A LOT of build up.

Last edited by stang56k; 06-08-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take the cap off of the brake fluid reservoir?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, I did all the normal procedures. I'm just going to get a rebuilt caliper from autozone.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

i've seen something like this happen in a jaguar, but it was that the piston got cocked in the bore.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reman calipers are just $40 from chain parts stores.

But, I'm curious as to how you are attempting to compress the pistons. In this photo, I have the C-Clap on a piece of flat stock and compressing against the pistons evenly.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...n/Figure16.jpg

I have a road race Firebird with stock rear calipers and C5 front calipers that have been on the car for 3 years. I can compress the pistons using my fingers. It's hard to do, but I can move the pistons in most of the way.

Bottom line ... if you are breaking 4" steel C-Clamps on cast aluminum calipers, either your C-Clamps are junk or the caliper is.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DON'T BUY RE-MANUFACTURED CALIPERS!!!!! Especially the ones from autozone. I made that mistake once and I chased a mushy/spongy peddle feel for half a season. Turned out that both calipers were spread and I ended up wasting a set of Hawk HP+'s. From now on I only buy brand new calipers.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point ... I take a rule with me and measure.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
DON'T BUY RE-MANUFACTURED CALIPERS!!!!! Especially the ones from autozone. I made that mistake once and I chased a mushy/spongy peddle feel for half a season. Turned out that both calipers were spread and I ended up wasting a set of Hawk HP+'s. From now on I only buy brand new calipers.
I agree with Major Lee

I got the remans from Autozone and they worked fine for a season. Don't expect to be able to loosen and retighten the bleeder screw or brake line too often though. The threading quality is junk. I stripped the bleeder screw last year. I took it back to autozone and got my free replacement. I stripped the brake line threads with minor torque with the free replacement. It was a nightmare for about a month. Got a stock GM caliper for around ~120 from a good source online. The GM quality doesn't even compare to Autozone. The bleeder screws, the threading, caliper material, quality, etc, etc.. worth the extra 80 bucks for knowing you have nothing to worry about.

I still have a fenco reman Autozone on the passenger front... and notice slightly imbalanced braking on occasion. My pedal also has never been as firm as it once was ever since having the problems last year. It's good enough for now as I don't need serious braking for what I do. No question will I replace that one with a GM caliper if I ever have to loosen the brake line again.

Quick Reply: Changing Brake pads... Brake calipers wont budge