Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!
Will C5 thin spoke rear wheels (18x9,5) fit cts-v calipers? What is the minimum width of spacers I need to make cts-v calipers and C5 wheels fit?
Old 06-08-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V.Rain
Hi guys!
Will C5 thin spoke rear wheels (18x9,5) fit cts-v calipers? What is the minimum width of spacers I need to make cts-v calipers and C5 wheels fit?
if your current brakes are the LS1 Fbody brakes, then generally if you have 1.5" of space between the inside of your spoke to the caliper you should be fine.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
if your current brakes are the LS1 Fbody brakes, then generally if you have 1.5" of space between the inside of your spoke to the caliper you should be fine.
My current brakes are stock LT1 brakes and C5 wheels aren't installed yet. I'm trying to understand minimum width of spacers to purchase.

Last edited by V.Rain; 06-09-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My current brakes are stock LT1 brakes and C5 wheels aren't installed yet. I'm trying to understand minimum width of spacers to purchase.
just so you know, the cts-V brakes won't bolt up to the LT1 brackets. You would need to swap to the LS1 spindle to use the CTS-V brakes.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Thanks!
Will LT1 or C5 brake lines fit CTS-V calipers?
Does anybody know partnumber of caliper mount bolta?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!
Will LT1 or C5 brake lines fit CTS-V calipers?
Does anybody know partnumber of caliper mount bolta?
I think they will thread on but the length and angle likely won't be correct. You will want the correct brake lines so they don't bind/stretch.

Are you asking about the part number for just the bolt that goes into the caliper?
Old 06-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Actually I'm trying to get list of all parts I need for swap, including bolts, brake lines etc. I live in Russia and if smth doesn't fit, I'll have to wait shipping for pair weeks
Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Teching In

I think they will thread on but the length and angle likely won't be correct. You will want the correct brake lines so they don't bind/stretch.

Are you asking about the part number for just the bolt that goes into the caliper?
I mean these bolts:

Old 06-17-2016, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I mean these bolts:

I don't know that part number but any M8 X 1.25; length 25mm, grade 10.9 bolt will do.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did my brake swap recently, definitely worth the cash! Didn't take long at all. Bolt on and go.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Teching In

I don't know that part number but any M8 X 1.25; length 25mm, grade 10.9 bolt will do.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by IDriveChevy
I did my brake swap recently, definitely worth the cash! Didn't take long at all. Bolt on and go.

I see C5 wheels on the photo below your sig. Did you installed your brakes with this wheels? What is the width of spacers you used?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see C5 wheels on the photo below your sig. Did you installed your brakes with this wheels? What is the width of spacers you used?
No I have 18" forgestar CF5s now that fit without any spacer. I think you need a decent spacer and grinding to run c5s
Old 06-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Does the cts-v upgrade effect offset, or any other wheel measurements?I only ask since i am currently pricing parts out. I want to make sure i purchase the correct, and required 18" rim.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:30 AM
Teching In

As far as I understand, I can use C6 Z06 rotors and use washers to center the caliper or use Camaro SS rotors and machine hub. CTS-V rotors look like Camaro SS but with proper center bore. Can I use CTS-V rotors with CTS-V calipers instead of C6 Z06 or Camaro SS?
Old 06-21-2016, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

You need a 40mm offset to clear the brakes. CTS-V are different bolt pattern IIRC. Just do the V calipers with washers to center it on a z06 rotor.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the info! Now to decide between Miro 112, or HD MSR rims...
Old 07-08-2016, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I am really, really confused about wheel offsets and the spoke clearance to the calipres and since this is a fairly big issue I was hoping someone could help clear this up for me.

First I need clarification as to what offset is and how it effects fitment under different specifications. If Im not mistake, offset is the distance between the hub and the center of the wheel.

41mm offset is minimum for the CTSV Calipres to clear the spokes (because 41mm is still technically inside the wheel width and causes the spokes to overlap the callipres as they must extend outward to get to the outer edge of the wheel. Because the Hub is sitting within the inner width of the wheel, this pushes the wheel outward.

Now here's what gets confusing. You can have the same offset with different size wheels and some of them still might not work. (41mm offset on a 18" x 9.5" vs 18" x 9.0", same offset but since wheel is narrower, spokes wont have to extend outward as much, thus colliding with the calipre - hypothetical example) It LOOKS like Diameter doesn't effect the offset fitment issues as much as wheel width will though and thats where I'm lost.

If I run 18x9" on the front, will 41mm offset still work? or will I need something in the 30's? Likewise if I run 18x9.5" in the front then 41mm would be golden?

I'm really trying to avoid using wheel spacers as I dont have the means of replacing wheel studs and if I took it to the shop the have them replace wheel studs they would have to do the whole job... ...Unless I could just remove the wheel hub?
Old 07-08-2016, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I am really, really confused about wheel offsets and the spoke clearance to the calipres and since this is a fairly big issue I was hoping someone could help clear this up for me.

First I need clarification as to what offset is and how it effects fitment under different specifications. If Im not mistake, offset is the distance between the hub and the center of the wheel.

41mm offset is minimum for the CTSV Calipres to clear the spokes (because 41mm is still technically inside the wheel width and causes the spokes to overlap the callipres as they must extend outward to get to the outer edge of the wheel. Because the Hub is sitting within the inner width of the wheel, this pushes the wheel outward.

Now here's what gets confusing. You can have the same offset with different size wheels and some of them still might not work. (41mm offset on a 18" x 9.5" vs 18" x 9.0", same offset but since wheel is narrower, spokes wont have to extend outward as much, thus colliding with the calipre - hypothetical example) It LOOKS like Diameter doesn't effect the offset fitment issues as much as wheel width will though and thats where I'm lost.

If I run 18x9" on the front, will 41mm offset still work? or will I need something in the 30's? Likewise if I run 18x9.5" in the front then 41mm would be golden?

I'm really trying to avoid using wheel spacers as I dont have the means of replacing wheel studs and if I took it to the shop the have them replace wheel studs they would have to do the whole job... ...Unless I could just remove the wheel hub?
use this to understand https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Old 07-08-2016, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dojob
I used it and understand the offset but whats confusing me now is this - where are the Calipres supposed to be in relationship to the wheel hub? Right behind the hub where the rotor is? or at the center of the wheel? If the Calipre is right behind the hub then it "seems" like no matter what offset you use, the Calipre is still right behind it because the wheel bolts to the hub / rotor and the rotor is where the calipre is so Im trying to figure out why changing the offset will make a difference..

Quick Reply: CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics