Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New shock and spring and LCA kit any advice to install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New shock and spring and LCA kit any advice to install.

The guy ( His name is Young I think ) at Byuspeed recomment me this kit.

SLP Bilstein Shocks & Eibach Springs

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1075

UMI Performance "On Car" Adjustable Panhard Bar w/ Polyurethane Bushings

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...09b7173b77d2b8

UMI Performance Tubular Non-Adjustable Lower Control Arms

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=2099

My car currently have every thing stock with 134k miles, will im happy with this kit for DD ? any tips to install these part ? do I need grease ? thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't get poly bushings on both ends of the LCA's.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I wouldn't get poly bushings on both ends of the LCA's.
^^ +1 Agree. I used non sponsor LCA with ball bushing. They're sponsor on some other site. They're also cheaper.

For the shocks, if you wanna go Bilstein then you should buy from Sam Strano. I only recommend Koni tho.

Last edited by Major_Lee_Slow; 06-25-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Link to "other" site.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

it already here. I want to know what part I need to stranfer to my new shock ? and what is the right torque for all the bolt ? thanks
Old 06-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Launching!

For the shocks and springs, just follow the torque recommendations in the Chilton's. If not, Good and Tight will do. Also, take care when removing the upper shock mounts and isolators. The Nuts, especially the passenger side, get corroded badly and may require being cut off. The key is to salvage the Shock MOUNT and not the shock. You need the factory pieces unless you want to have problems or have to buy new ones from the dealer. If you go to LS1Techhowto.com, there is a good write up on how to do it. There a whole bunch of other ones listed here too.
For the Adj PH rod, I just did that and it was a piece of cake. Used a rubber hammer to tap the ends in after they were greased per instructions and had no issues. Alllowed me to re-recenter the rear after the springs were in. I had to move the rear 3/8 inch to one side to make it even.
As far as the control arms, stick with the poly/poly's if you are driving it on the street. A lot of guys get rod ends on one side and poly on the other thinking they get the best of both worlds, what they get is the worst of one, nice in the rod end, and only one poly end in the other.
Unless you think you need that last millisecond in time, just stay with poly. You won't regret it.

Good Luck. I think I took my front apart at least 3 times before I had it absolutely correct, and that's okay, because that's how we learn.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by killagt
it already here. I want to know what part I need to stranfer to my new shock ? and what is the right torque for all the bolt ? thanks
I forgot, for the shocks you will need the lower perch, the lower spring isolator, and the upper spring isolator, all of which come right off after you compress the springs and remove them, they will fit right over the bilstiein shocks and springs. If you have 2 lower perch option on the Bilsteins, (i think may be only Koni's do) but if you do, use the upper one. The lower one will be way too low.

Again good luck.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

call sam strano, he knows his stuff, is honest, will work with you and won't oversell you.

My recommendation is his springs, koni 4/3s, UMI adjustable PHB, and adjust umi rod/poly or poly/poly lcas.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

does any one know the torque spec for shock and spring, and LCA ? thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw, the guy that sell me the LCA kit, he say that these part already pre grease ? its true ? but I saw a little packet of white grease, what is that for ? thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend recomment me to his buddy shop, and he charge me $150 for install every thing, its good deal ? My pocket carry $300 that time so i think it good deal, what you guy think ?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Launching!

My friend recomment me to his buddy shop, and he charge me $150 for install every thing, its good deal ? My pocket carry $300 that time so i think it good deal, what you guy think ?
If you were only charged $150 to install the shocks, springs, and LCA's, you got one hell of a deal.
But then that begs the question, did he know what he was doing? Seems to me anyone worth their salt would charge more than that. Unless he was doing it as a favorable rate for a friend, which this could very well be.
Just my .02
But, If you have concerns about what kind of work he did, take it to a different shop, someone you trust, and have them look it over and make sure it's all good. It may cost 30-40 bucks for them to look at it, but at least you'll know for sure.
I don't know, my gut tells me that there is a piece of information missing here somehow....somewhere...

Who knows?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
If you were only charged $150 to install the shocks, springs, and LCA's, you got one hell of a deal.
But then that begs the question, did he know what he was doing? Seems to me anyone worth their salt would charge more than that. Unless he was doing it as a favorable rate for a friend, which this could very well be.
Just my .02
But, If you have concerns about what kind of work he did, take it to a different shop, someone you trust, and have them look it over and make sure it's all good. It may cost 30-40 bucks for them to look at it, but at least you'll know for sure.
I don't know, my gut tells me that there is a piece of information missing here somehow....somewhere...

Who knows?
I when I first came his shop, I have to go thru a very bad neightborhood, I was out side his shop waiting for him, firs thing I though out side his shop is, very bad looking place. But as soon he open his garage, OMFG many many car that looking really good. First of all, im not racis, he is black and he work on big car, mostly suspenstion, their about 10 car fit tight in his garage is either cadilac on dub, candy apple red boxer on dub, and many other one. He serious, he told me, " be here at 8:30 exactly and It will be take care by noon ". I bring the car tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I when I first came his shop, I have to go thru a very bad neightborhood, I was out side his shop waiting for him, firs thing I though out side his shop is, very bad looking place. But as soon he open his garage, OMFG many many car that looking really good. First of all, im not racis, he is black and he work on big car, mostly suspenstion, their about 10 car fit tight in his garage is either cadilac on dub, candy apple red boxer on dub, and many other one. He serious, he told me, " be here at 8:30 exactly and It will be take care by noon ". I bring the car tomorrow.
Sound like a plan you got a hell of a deal. Only Koni SA has two perch, not even in DA. So it'll be a straight installation, especially if he work on suspension alot. Report back as soon as it's done.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

OMFG !! the nut on top of the shock is rust to hell both !!. I cant event regonize it was a nut their. He have to cut the spring and shock to take what need to be swap out. it was hell Im telling you !! he dont have to take any of the rear plastic panel off, he did cut a little carpet off and do it from their. Any way any thing went smooth, car handle great now. He also told me about he can do LB header and WHAT EVER I WANT TO DO TO THE CAMARO !!!, I did ask him about the fuel pump cut hole thing, and he told me, he rather doing from the bottem then cut a hole. I told him that he had to drop every thing do be able to drop the tank, " he rely " OK no problem " He going to swap out power window tomorrow for $40 buck, He my mechanic from now on, he also cool as hell, he let every body watch him work, and he even tough them do thing that he do, he funny as hell too. Any way, im happy with the service.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

do i need to get alligment after shock and spring install ? btw how do I know if I adjust the LCA right ?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update, I just wonder that , some of you recomment me using ball bushing on LCA, what is bennefit, and do I running to any damage running poly ? thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 06:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Update, I just wonder that , some of you recomment me using ball bushing on LCA, what is bennefit, and do I running to any damage running poly ? thanks
Hello,

No, the lower control arms will work just fine for you and will not cause any damage. Some people do not like to use and will not use polyurethane bushings because it can cause suspension "bind". However suspension bind is a concern when the vehicle is being raced aggressively such as auto cross, road race ect. For a daily driver I feel you have picked the best option for your car, the polyurethane bushings will be quiet, comfortable and virtually maintenance free. A daily driver will not take the car to its limits where binding is a concern. I also feel the polyurethane ball design is some what of a gimmick and works no different than a regular bushing. We have a spherical bushing in the works now that should be released shortly... that will help eliminate bind but not induce road noise like a road end.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

No, the lower control arms will work just fine for you and will not cause any damage. Some people do not like to use and will not use polyurethane bushings because it can cause suspension "bind". However suspension bind is a concern when the vehicle is being raced aggressively such as auto cross, road race ect. For a daily driver I feel you have picked the best option for your car, the polyurethane bushings will be quiet, comfortable and virtually maintenance free. A daily driver will not take the car to its limits where binding is a concern. I also feel the polyurethane ball design is some what of a gimmick and works no different than a regular bushing. We have a spherical bushing in the works now that should be released shortly... that will help eliminate bind but not induce road noise like a road end.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Thanks !!!

Quick Reply: New shock and spring and LCA kit any advice to install.