Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spohn Suspension

I put in my quick performance 9" rear end and gutted all the stock rear suspension and replaced it all with Spohn.

I have their LCA's, Crossover with 1 safety loop, Adjustable Torque arm, pro series drag swaybar and QA1 DA rears.

Here's the problem. Ever since I installed all of this I keep getting a clunk everytime I shift gears. It almost sounds like the TA is slamming up on that knuckle. I don't think it's the driveshaft. Even at speed of less than 10 mph it freaking clunks. Nothing even looks close either so I have no clue as to what the hell it could be besides that knuckle.

Any ideas?

The area I have circled is where I think its coming from. I'm getting ready to chuck it and install a BMR on that attaches to the stock location.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure that all of the bolts are tight. Most of the time it is coming from that front attachment point. If you do decide to go with a full length arm give ma a call. Also something else to consider is a torque arm relocation bracket. It will save your tranny tailshaft from breaking and it has some added adjustment holes in the front for fine tuning.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Make sure that all of the bolts are tight. Most of the time it is coming from that front attachment point. If you do decide to go with a full length arm give ma a call. Also something else to consider is a torque arm relocation bracket. It will save your tranny tailshaft from breaking and it has some added adjustment holes in the front for fine tuning.
Thanks for the info. It is nearly impossible to tighten those bolts any tighter. Spohn claims that the top bolt needs to be at 100 lb-ft and the bottom needs to be 50 lb-ft.

You can't even get a torque wrench close to the top bolt and I have about every tool they make. When I asked Spohn about this, they just said to get a big ole wrench and pull on it as hard as I can and call it good. I did this. I'm 6'4 240 and I can't get it any tighter and it's still clunking.

Is this the set up you are suggesting? And do you offer it for 9" rears?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't use that setup unless the car is going to see alot of track time. If your car runs 9's or slower our full length are will work just fine. The extreme set up will work on a street car but it is overkill. This is the one i was suggesting.
Attached Thumbnails Spohn Suspension-ta001-small.jpg   Spohn Suspension-tcc006-small.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

I had that torque arm and it just clunks... I don't think there is anything wrong with it, its just going to clunk. Unless you modify the thing to use a bushing I don't see how you will get it out of the car. I also tightened it as much as I could and it didn't get rid of it.

The biggest reason is not the fact that there is play, its that you no longer have anything insulating the car from the clunking noise. That mount is transmitting even the slightest noise straight through the floor pan and into the seat of your pants. Its all metal to metal contact. So even the smallest amount of play is going to sound like a big clunk.

And you won't get the play out without installing a bushing or some kind of rod end or tightening the thing until it can't move (which it has too for the suspension to work... so that one's out). Even if you got all the play out, you'd still have a lot of extra noise from all the solid mounts.

I eventually replaced mine with one that still mounts to the tailshaft (so you always have the trans mount to insulate). My car is way to slow to need anything more anyway. If I had a heavy track use or track only car I would have kept it, but it wasn't worth it on the street to me. But it was a very well made piece... just overkill for my car.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

I've got a clunking issue as well since I put in my 12 bolt and relocated my BMR tq arm to the trans crossmember. Everything is tight, its just gonna do that now I guess.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeG
I've got a clunking issue as well since I put in my 12 bolt and relocated my BMR tq arm to the trans crossmember. Everything is tight, its just gonna do that now I guess.
Do you think there is any great advantage to having them mounted to the x-member than to the tranny? I have a detroit locker and the clicking around corners doesn't bother me but everytime I switch gears it sound like I'm running over a wookchuck. It's driving me nuts. I have more than 3 grand in the rear end and it pissing me off that it sound like $hit when I shift.

I planned on buying all Spohn front end suspension but now I'm double thinking doing anything.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have all spohn on my third gen. mine only clunks when i put it in reverse. My automatic though with RMVB.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by driftpin
Do you think there is any great advantage to having them mounted to the x-member than to the tranny? I have a detroit locker and the clicking around corners doesn't bother me but everytime I switch gears it sound like I'm running over a wookchuck. It's driving me nuts. I have more than 3 grand in the rear end and it pissing me off that it sound like $hit when I shift.

I planned on buying all Spohn front end suspension but now I'm double thinking doing anything.

The Detroit locker is what is causing all of the clunking. I had one in a street car and swore never again...went with a spool I am going to have to say any of these suspensions are going to probably amplify the clunk. The relocation mount with the full length torque arm is still much quieter than the floor pan mounted arms.

If you have any other questions regarding any of our product line feel free to ask
Old 06-22-2009, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
The Detroit locker is what is causing all of the clunking. I had one in a street car and swore never again...went with a spool I am going to have to say any of these suspensions are going to probably amplify the clunk. The relocation mount with the full length torque arm is still much quieter than the floor pan mounted arms.

If you have any other questions regarding any of our product line feel free to ask
No it's not the detroit locker. I've had them i the past and know they make noise but this is a different noise. I saw on in this months Camaro magazine that said it was a BMR torque arm locator and it was welded into the subframe connectors and had several holes the torque arm could bolt into, amybe 5 holes up and down. Is this a product you guys still sell?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

No it's not the detroit locker. I've had them i the past and know they make noise but this is a different noise. I saw on in this months Camaro magazine that said it was a BMR torque arm locator and it was welded into the subframe connectors and had several holes the torque arm could bolt into, amybe 5 holes up and down. Is this a product you guys still sell?
Hmmmm I will look into that article and see... to my knowledge we do not sell an adjustable crossmember that weld to the subframes..
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
Hmmmm I will look into that article and see... to my knowledge we do not sell an adjustable crossmember that weld to the subframes..
The magazine is called Camaro Performers and it is in the June 2009 edition page 54. It looks like a great set up. If you guys do sell it, could you pm me a price for the torque arm and crossover.

If you can't find the magazine or it would be easier for you, I can send you a pic. Let me know.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default spohn torque arm

If that is a picture of ur car ' 2 things . 1 : With a 9" the two bolt holes towards the drivers side should be used to mount the arm to the rear end . that one is mounted incorectly. The passenger side bolt holes are for a 12 or 10 bolt . wont make any diff with the clunking , but might get better grab.
2 : The clunking is the front bracket pivoting from front to back or vice a versa and coming to the end of its travel . You can use the silicone grease that they recomend . cut some squares out of the last tires you burned off n put them between the pads on the cross member and floorboard .
You will notice it will STILL clunk . It might not be as loud .
I just tell my freinds its the ladder bars hitting the stops to keep the wheels planted on the ground . They never ask again .
Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by "Grabby" 2000Z28
If that is a picture of ur car ' 2 things . 1 : With a 9" the two bolt holes towards the drivers side should be used to mount the arm to the rear end .
The bracket that came with the rear end was completely screwed up. I had to fabricate a new one. That is an early picture and we could tell that it had to go in further inbound just by looking at it beside the driveshaft. They were more perpendicular than parallel. LOL
Originally Posted by "Grabby" 2000Z28
2 : The clunking is the front bracket pivoting from front to back or vice a versa and coming to the end of its travel . You can use the silicone grease that they recomend . cut some squares out of the last tires you burned off n put them between the pads on the cross member and floorboard .
You will notice it will STILL clunk . It might not be as loud .
I did hit up the fittings with the silicone grease. I may try the rubber idea. I have some solid rubber mats that I used to need when when working in my shop in front of the mill but that would be the perfect thing for that. For the time being I've gotten kind of use to it but when I get tuned into it, it drives me bonkers. As for launching, I go straight as an arrow. When that swaybar was set up without the fine tuning, it pulled to the right like a beach. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like T-hawk said I had a body mounted torque arm too. Clunked no matter how much I tightened it. Sold it a week after I installed it. Got a trans mounted TA and never looked back. Don't see enough track time to justify the noise. I then tried a TA relocation mount to mount it on the tranny crossmember and that clunked as well. It makes a nice paper weight now. I don't think switching brands will make any difference either.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Like T-hawk said I had a body mounted torque arm too. Clunked no matter how much I tightened it. Sold it a week after I installed it. Got a trans mounted TA and never looked back. Don't see enough track time to justify the noise. I then tried a TA relocation mount to mount it on the tranny crossmember and that clunked as well. It makes a nice paper weight now. I don't think switching brands will make any difference either.
Have you ever cracked a tail shaft?

How much power are you putting out? Just curious.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever cracked a tail shaft?

How much power are you putting out? Just curious.
No never cracked a tailshaft. If I had, I guess I'd be dealing with the noise. Made 401rwhp on a Mustang dyno.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

A guy on another forum said that he fixed the clunking by using a different bolt, here's a link. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/su...arm-clunk.html
Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87formy
A guy on another forum said that he fixed the clunking by using a different bolt, here's a link. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/su...arm-clunk.html
Thanks!! That's a decent idea. I'd have to make a holding fixture to do it but I think I will try it when I put the bird away in the fall. I've been planning on doing the same thing to the rear. The bolts the guy sent with the rear end bracket are all thread, no shoulders whatsoever, going through a heim joint, so I'm going to buy a couple of long shouldered bolts and cut them down so only the shoulder is inside the bushing.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should get the trans xmember, and retourque the bolts in your LCA

Quick Reply: Spohn Suspension