Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion please

I need opinions on how to setup a all-a-round suspension to handle a dd; 80% freeway,10% 1/4 mi,10% autox. Already install is a:umi lca (rod end),umi tunnel ta. Working on sfc (umi of course). Right now motor is stock, but plan build motor around gm asa cam. Your opinions are more than welcome as well as stories behind setups. Also your advise on what to stay away from. Thanks.
By the way the cAR IS a '00ws6,m6,stock springs/shocks

Last edited by 99bird; 06-27-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

How much do you want to spend? Obviously the first thing everyone is going to recommend is a quality shock. If remaining on stock springs go with the Strano spec Bilsteins. If your budget is more the Koni SAs will be great. You can adjust the shocks depending on DD, autocross, or drag racing needs to fit each application. No point in going overboard either direction as the car is mainly a DD.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

This "sticky" is important to mention: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html

Whilst one can improve both handling and acceleration, there will always be compromises. How one deals with those compromises is highly subjective. With that stated, there's this to read as well: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...up-review.html

Your desires with the car can change, which is why I form the opinion that one should make a "wish list" for only setting a preliminary budget (which is what should be done for making mods). Basically, throwing lots of parts at the car is NOT recommended, but rather getting to realistically know what parts can improve and what parts won't.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
How much do you want to spend? Obviously the first thing everyone is going to recommend is a quality shock. If remaining on stock springs go with the Strano spec Bilsteins. If your budget is more the Koni SAs will be great. You can adjust the shocks depending on DD, autocross, or drag racing needs to fit each application. No point in going overboard either direction as the car is mainly a DD.
That is my goal, not to go overboard. Mainly asking what styles/proven setups to go with. I would like to be the driver and not driven by the car,if you know what i mean.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99bird
That is my goal, not to go overboard. Mainly asking what styles/proven setups to go with. I would like to be the driver and not driven by the car,if you know what i mean.
With that in mind I'd pick either of the two shocks I mentioned above and do that. It will drastically improve your ride, handling, and if you go w/ the Konis you can adjust the shocks rebound to whatever the application calls for.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suspension was stock for a year since I've had the car. Just a few weeks ago I put on Koni Shocks and Strano springs. Car is incredible now. The shocks keep the car so tight that I'm not even considering Subframe connectors anymore. All I have left is Strano sway bars to remove what left of body roll and a Panhard bar to tidy up the rear end.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Shopping for shocks. How much does lowering ride height change the game.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shopping for shocks. How much does lowering ride height change the game.
Hello
Another suggestion is when you lower a vehicle to look into a adjustable pan hard bar. This will allow you to recenter the rear end back up due to it shifting when you lowering it. Below is a link to show you what all type of pan hard bars UMI Performance has to offer!

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=124

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Tire recommendation

To satisfy the 10% autox and save some money, I would try a street tire oriented class in your local club. I would try the Nitto NT-05 tires that recently came out. They come in our big boy sizes like 275/40/17 and 315/35/17. Since you have LCAs and putting in a cam, you'll be in SM anyway. Cammed LS1's are extremely hard to compete in, but I'm assuming this will just be for fun anyway given the 10%.

And it sure as hell will be really damn fun and will get tons of praise from everyone in all cars. You'll be suprised who praises your car.. import drivers, german car drivers, people in some pretty exotic cars. Autox is definitely a good time if you got an fbody.

So anyway.. you can drive on the street with this tire. When you go to the track, you could swap to a slick tire if you wanted to. Not sure if 10% drag includes swapping to a slick.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Do you have experience with that asa cam for autox. Its seems that the asa cam would keep the motor in its power range, but lose a lil torque due to the 110 lsa. Researching the nitto thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you have experience with that asa cam for autox. Its seems that the asa cam would keep the motor in its power range, but lose a lil torque due to the 110 lsa. Researching the nitto thanks.
When it comes to cam choice, I'd strongly recommend letting an engine builder decide on the cam specs. I did tons of research and homework on cams, but in the end there were still a ton of cam specs that I didn't understand. With cams I think you can research it forever but I'll still be a noob in the end unlike suspension stuff. Bottom line, the engine builder will know what's given them the best results based upon given heads, headers, boltons, etc and past results. Just tell the builder how you want your car to behave. My 400 hp cam is more than enough to boggle all my local event instructors after taking my car for a drive. It's just extremely hard to autox well with. Fun as hell though
Old 07-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Teching In

thanks for your time and input.

Quick Reply: opinion please