TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tunnel Braces

What do they do and are they worth the $
Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I take it that you are asking about the tunnel mounted torque arms??? Well if you are they mount to the body itself rather than the transmission. But seeing how a shorter torque arm itself is used it transfers weight a lot faster than a full length arm. Therefore giving you maximum performance. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...te4rcm1jrml6j4

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can you make me one that looks like this?

I dont understand why you dont offer one. I would prefer a UMI product and want one that will match all of my BLACK UMI parts.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1owner4life
Can you make me one that looks like this?

I dont understand why you dont offer one. I would prefer a UMI product and want one that will match all of my BLACK UMI parts.
I was just looking at this the other day and was shocked UMI didn't have this part as well.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a tunnel brace, but the only reason I got one was to stop the Ypipe from banging the stock one. I didn't notice any difference with it. Nice to not have the Ypipe banging now.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They don't do that much. The car very rarely wants to send enough loads EXACTLY perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the car (the kind of loads that would make this necessary). Especially enough loads to where the stock piece will bend or fail.

Looks like a solution in search of a problem.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Looks like a solution in search of a problem.

You know, I just noticed this part on the website the other day and was thinking the same exact thing.

I'm sure in some extreme case it will help out, but for the most part it looks like something for people who just like bolting up stuff to thier car.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The one thats on the car from the factory is stamped steel and basically does nothing. Most people take the tunnel brace off. If your heavy into corner carving or road racing it will help keep some flexing out of the floor. If you have any questions please give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Useless part.... Another example, IMHO, of parts built to fill the need some have to just change things, rather than do a specific job. The car has a brace on it stock, and if anyone tried to bend it, they'd realize that because of the bead rolling and lip on the edges it's not weak.

However this is a bit silly. If you want to keep flex out of the car then you want SFC's, not that little brace. For that matter you'd want 3 point connectors over 2's to triangulate the floorpan. I find it odd that a company would make a brace like that but not 3-point SFC's. Would it be bad to add that? No--just not a tangible help. and I can think of about 50 things I'd rather spend money on.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so this got me to wonder, I have 3 point SFC's that bolt to the tunnel brace mounts, but no tunnel brace. Would there be any reason or improvement in the effect of the SFC's to have a brace between the two? The mounting pads for the brace are very flimsy looking, so I don't know what kind of support they are offering the 3rd point of the SFC's.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
.... The mounting pads for the brace are very flimsy looking, so I don't know what kind of support they are offering the 3rd point of the SFC's.
That's what I've always thought.....However, since my car is a little "old school", I have the Kenny Brown Racing "double diamond" subframe connectors They tie in at the subframes, and 4 points along the rocker panel, as well as the tunnel brace mount points.

I did have one of those braces that's pictured here, but all it did was kill my ground clearance...

Quick Reply: Tunnel Braces