Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering without purchasing parts possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:56 AM
EW1
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering without purchasing parts possible?

I have been loking on the forum here ad have found that the rear could be lowered using the heater hose (5/8th) mod.

My question is for the front. I see people lower the front using koni shocks mounted to the lower perch. I am not sure what this means since it has been a while since I looked at the front suspension. So the question is could this be done using the stock shocks? Would it be safe?

Pics for the front would help as well.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

No, not really. Koni shocks have two different perch heights. I believe they are the only shocks out that that have them. If you are trying to keep it cheap Koni's are not the way to go, they are about as high end as it gets for our F-Body shocks.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed my shocks, there is no lower perch on the stock shocks. Don't cut your springs or heat them up to make it lower in the front. Save up $250 - $275 and get some lowering springs. Maybe even cheaper in the classified section.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Is it possible to mildly lower the whole car? Something equivalent to the hose mode?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, use the lower perch on the koni in the front and hose mod in the rear. Lowers ~3/4"
Old 07-12-2009, 05:06 PM
EW1
Launching!

one more question, will lowering springs advertised for 93-98 camaros work on 99 and up?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes and if you get a pro kit you want the one for a 93-97 because it has less issues with rear sag.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up UMI Performance!

Hello
I noticed that you are interested in lowering a vehicle. I just wanted to suggest to you that anytime you lower a vehicle a adjustable pan hard bar would be a great modification and allow you re center the rear end back under the vehicle. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...aa00fbp9qgf9t4

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EW1
I have been loking on the forum here ad have found that the rear could be lowered using the heater hose (5/8th) mod.

My question is for the front. I see people lower the front using koni shocks mounted to the lower perch. I am not sure what this means since it has been a while since I looked at the front suspension. So the question is could this be done using the stock shocks? Would it be safe?

Got my prokit fitted saturday with stock shocks, handles & rides great, well pleased and looks how it should look perfect. After And Before Pics. front.
Attached Thumbnails lowering without purchasing parts possible?-40600024.jpg   lowering without purchasing parts possible?-08122007028.jpg  
Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
I noticed that you are interested in lowering a vehicle. I just wanted to suggest to you that anytime you lower a vehicle a adjustable pan hard bar would be a great modification and allow you re center the rear end back under the vehicle. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...aa00fbp9qgf9t4

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
While I am at stock height I've read about this and fully agree.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There are several companys that offer the option of just buying front lowering springs.
BMR, Hotchkis, and probably a few more, also check the for sale sections, there's always somebody who has lowering springs for sale.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

wel i thought all i was gonna have to do is springs and i have the panhard bar in my barracks waiting. how ever you have about a 50/50 shot at getti9ngteh top nut off of the strut. left side came off and right side well stripped. so new struts got ordered
Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by spy2520
Is it possible to mildly lower the whole car? Something equivalent to the hose mode?
Lower the tires air pressure. -----------------------------.....
Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EW1

Disclaimer.. I don't recommend doing these things.. but I figured I'd keep this strictly informational.

Without buying any or many parts, lowering the car can be done by cutting springs. Supposedly there's a JasonWW thread somewhere around here that he maps exactly how much of each coil to a certain drop.. maybe springrate increase too. If you are hell bent on doing this, I strongly recommend looking for this info and plan it out before you do it. Also changing the rear spring isolator to the hose mod. That will put you a little lower in the back.

Quick Reply: lowering without purchasing parts possible?