Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

15.5" ZR1 Brakes w/ Part Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15.5" ZR1 Brakes w/ Part Numbers

So does anyone know if these are similar enough that they could be either bolted directly up or use a spacer like a classic Z06/C5 conversion kit?

It is definately pricey, based on the individual prices it would be well over 3k probably almost 4k. So how might a standard aftermarket big rotor kit in the 14" range that is much cheaper compare to the very large amazing brakes of the ZR1. (im sure that not many would even consider it since it would require a 19" rim if not 20")

If anyone is interested I checked what part numbers were.

From William at GM Parts Direct (regarding 09 ZR1 Brakes)
Hello Dear Customer,
Here are your part numbers you requested.
25923821 driver's side front brake caliper
25923822 passenger's side front brake caliper
25843121 front brake rotor, purchase per side needed
19207042 front disc brake pad kit
Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 rotor....
GM PART # 25843121
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $1,695.00
OUR PRICE: $1,233.96

DESCRIPTION: ROTOR
Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tudds
1 rotor....
GM PART # 25843121
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $1,695.00
OUR PRICE: $1,233.96

DESCRIPTION: ROTOR
They are a lot less than I thought they would be, but still expensive.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Plus they're not even close to what the average driver would want on the street. They need to be heated up to actually perform well. That is something you can't do every time you go for a drive. I'm going to say that you'd be very disappointed in them. There are actually tests done on these rotors that basically say the same thing I said.

Link
Old 07-16-2009, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

They need heated up to perform at 100% of their potential but they still appear to perform well at low temps otherwise the 70-0 braking should be significantly worse in a ZR1 than a Z06 which it is not. Unless car and driver/motor trend heat the rotors up which i am pretty sure they do not.

That article didnt even mention material type for rotors though. Do you have a link to the exact article comparing those rotors against others?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats not a smart move at those prices. You can buy a stoptech kit for less than the GM stuff.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Plus they're not even close to what the average driver would want on the street. They need to be heated up to actually perform well. That is something you can't do every time you go for a drive. I'm going to say that you'd be very disappointed in them. There are actually tests done on these rotors that basically say the same thing I said.

Link
That article doesn't even mention a ceramic rotor. If you do a little reading the ZR1 brakes are what everyone would want on the street....awesome stopping power and almost no dust.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loreak
They need heated up to perform at 100% of their potential but they still appear to perform well at low temps otherwise the 70-0 braking should be significantly worse in a ZR1 than a Z06 which it is not. Unless car and driver/motor trend heat the rotors up which i am pretty sure they do not.

That article didnt even mention material type for rotors though. Do you have a link to the exact article comparing those rotors against others?
For some reason it's not on that page. But I can send you a PDF of the article if you wish.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by STRIPSTAR
Thats not a smart move at those prices. You can buy a stoptech kit for less than the GM stuff.
This is specifically what I'm asking, i mean there is no doubt that those rotors are pretty much the best you can get period but how good are the very large standard kits in comparison.

I just want to be able to say my rotors are made of carbon-fiber-reinforced ceramic silicon carbide.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

You guys also seem to be forgetting the size of wheel you will need to run to fit that brake system. Gen4 cars aren't designed for 19's and 20's on the front and look stupid with them. Form following function rule in place, this is not even an opinion. Making a "donk" out of an fbody to fit 15" ruins its manuverability and its 1/4 mile potential. It is also dangerous.
The 6 piston Z06 system under 18's is more than adequate for anything you would want to do with your fbody... unless you just have your heart set on driving a "donk".
Old 07-16-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

you're better off sticking to the Stop Techs and other BBKs that were made for your car as opposed to making a kit based off pieces from a car that only shares the company's name with the car you're putting its parts on...i mean different vehicle weights, different brake biases, different piston sizes in the calipers etc etc...

a lot goes into designing an aftermarket BBK for a car. Im still curious as to how the Cadillac Brembo retrofit is working out, especially performance wise for the guys who have done it..and compare that to the Corvette brake retrofits that have been going on for a few years now
Old 07-16-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 108dragon
You guys also seem to be forgetting the size of wheel you will need to run to fit that brake system. Gen4 cars aren't designed for 19's and 20's on the front and look stupid with them. Form following function rule in place, this is not even an opinion. Making a "donk" out of an fbody to fit 15" ruins its manuverability and its 1/4 mile potential. It is also dangerous.
The 6 piston Z06 system under 18's is more than adequate for anything you would want to do with your fbody... unless you just have your heart set on driving a "donk".
Please explain to me how a 19" or 20" wheel is dangerous. I can't wait to hear your reasoning.

Also, as he stated, he wanted to be able to tell people he has carbon ceramic brakes.

And third, I could give a **** what my car does in the 1/4, and would much rather see what I can do 60-0. Hell, my car has never been drag raced in it's life.

loreak, send me your email via PM and I'll send you the rest of that article, if you want to read more about carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Please explain to me how a 19" or 20" wheel is dangerous. I can't wait to hear your reasoning.
I was thinkin the same thing, sounds pretty retarded considering thousands of ppl run 18's including myself. Those ZR1's and Z06's handle really shitty with 19's and 20's let me tell you <---extreme sarcasm

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
you're better off sticking to the Stop Techs and other BBKs that were made for your car as opposed to making a kit based off pieces from a car that only shares the company's name with the car you're putting its parts on...i mean different vehicle weights, different brake biases, different piston sizes in the calipers etc etc...
now that is a 100% legitimate concern, i am sure throwing in those brakes on the front could really throw off your brake bias but most of the time you really are braking in a straight line but yes a properly designed front/rear complete kit would be more ideal with regards to brake bias
Old 07-16-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

When was having good brakes dangerous? I would really like to know.

What I know is dangerous is all the crap these drag racing guys do to their brakes to make them fit 5" wheels so they weight .5 lbs less
Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
When was having good brakes dangerous? I would really like to know.

What I know is dangerous is all the crap these drag racing guys do to their brakes to make them fit 5" wheels so they weight .5 lbs less
Or better yet, how they run around with skinnies on the front, because they weight less, but they'd be in some serious **** if they ever got into a situation that required some mobility.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, as he stated, he wanted to be able to tell people he has carbon ceramic brakes.

And third, I could give a **** what my car does in the 1/4, and would much rather see what I can do 60-0. Hell, my car has never been drag raced in it's life.

loreak, send me your email via PM and I'll send you the rest of that article, if you want to read more about carbon ceramic brakes.
Why would I keep you waiting?
The ceramic rotor brake system that he wants to use will require a minimum 19" -if not a 20" wheel. The new Camaro and Vette is DESIGNED around those rims, brakes, and suspension.
There have been a few "donks" around here that ended up upside down for raising the gravity center of a vehicle that would have only been better off lowered, and then driving it like a batmobile. - your answer -ANY moron can see that "donk"ing a sportscar is a bad idea.. unless of course, a guy just wants to be a moron and "donk" a gen4 Camaro... and its been done.
Get a ceramic brake system designed for the wheels and suspension that work on your car.
You forget where you are. This is LS1tech.com. The vast majority of the enthusiasts here are interested in pure performance. Not how stupid they can make thier car look so it stands out in a crew of "gangstas". And you need to GET to 60 quick enough to warrant needing better braking..
in short- you have GOT to be kidding me, dude!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why would I keep you waiting?
The ceramic rotor brake system that he wants to use will require a minimum 19" -if not a 20" wheel. The new Camaro and Vette is DESIGNED around those rims, brakes, and suspension.
There have been a few "donks" around here that ended up upside down for raising the gravity center of a vehicle that would have only been better off lowered, and then driving it like a batmobile. - your answer -ANY moron can see that "donk"ing a sportscar is a bad idea.. unless of course, a guy just wants to be a moron and "donk" a gen4 Camaro... and its been done.
Get a ceramic brake system designed for the wheels and suspension that work on your car.
You forget where you are. This is LS1tech.com. The vast majority of the enthusiasts here are interested in pure performance. Not how stupid they can make thier car look so it stands out in a crew of "gangstas". And you need to GET to 60 quick enough to warrant needing better braking..
in short- you have GOT to be kidding me, dude!
Wow, that's the best you've got...is a car rolling over from a high center of gravity? I think you need to go to The Onion and read and believe everything you just read. That has to be one of the most ridiculous reasons to not go with a 19 or 20" wheel I have ever heard.

And your whole theory on needing more HP to warrant more braking is also asinine. If you knew anything about road course or auto-x you'd know that fbodies are probably one of the most under braked cars on the market. I know for a fact that one car making 400HP with stock brakes will get waxed by a stock motored fbody with decent brakes.

Go try and figure out another reason why 19-20" wheels are so dangerous.

Just so yo know, 99% of fbodies running 19-20" wheels isn't going to have a higher center of gravity then a car running 16" wheels. If there is a difference, it's going to be like 1" max. Just like if I go from 16" to what I have 18". For some odd reason it's the same ride height it was before...weird.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Or better yet, how they run around with skinnies on the front, because they weight less, but they'd be in some serious **** if they ever got into a situation that required some mobility.
I am running 17x9.5" wheels and Yokohama 275/40/17s on all 4. In fact, my whole suspension is SLP DESIGNED for use on my gen4 Camaro. And I am prepping to run Z06 18" front and 19" rear wheels with the Z06 6piston PBR brakes. I am lowering the car 1.2" and adding the Koni adjustable shocks.
I'm selling my Paxton blower to finish building my stroker engine. The blower and intercooler represented too much extra weight too far out over the nose of my car and hurt maneuverability. I intend to push 600+rwhp NA and maximize both cornering and braking potential.
Care to match what you are running to what I have now? Or wait till I'm done with my upgrades? From what I'm reading, I could probably beat your 60-0 with the shot *** rotors I'm running now. lol
BTW, the drag guys do what they do for a reason. That front unsprung weight is seen exponentially in the weight transfer in a drag launch. So 5 lbs is a lot in that application.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, that's the best you've got...is a car rolling over from a high center of gravity? I think you need to go to The Onion and read and believe everything you just read. That has to be one of the most ridiculous reasons to not go with a 19 or 20" wheel I have ever heard.

And your whole theory on needing more HP to warrant more braking is also asinine. If you knew anything about road course or auto-x you'd know that fbodies are probably one of the most under braked cars on the market. I know for a fact that one car making 400HP with stock brakes will get waxed by a stock motored fbody with decent brakes.

Go try and figure out another reason why 19-20" wheels are so dangerous.

Just so yo know, 99% of fbodies running 19-20" wheels isn't going to have a higher center of gravity then a car running 16" wheels. If there is a difference, it's going to be like 1" max. Just like if I go from 16" to what I have 18". For some odd reason it's the same ride height it was before...weird.
Stock, fbodies are also some of the most underpowered as well. The Vettes getting the LS6 to begin with was aggrevating at best. I AM running 410rwhp. And with good pads and bias tuning, my stock braking is adequate for it in any arena.
Have you EVER seen a gen 4 with 20"s? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever witnessed. Try a slalom with them. And BTW, those 15.5" rotors will not fit under your 18's. Get a grip. The PBR 6piston sets ARE decent brakes. And they will fit under your 18s.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

... and why in hell's creation would ANYONE put a 475hp engine in thier car and not care about the performance factor or et's?

Quick Reply: 15.5" ZR1 Brakes w/ Part Numbers