Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Jacking from aftermarket K Member

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009 | 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Default Jacking from aftermarket K Member

I was wondering whether you can jack the front end from under an aftermarket K member like you can with the stock piece. I tried searching, but no one addressed the subject. Im a little reluctant about trying it, because it seems like it would put to much stress on a single point on that one tube. Id really like to see what UMI/BMR/Sphon recommend if they see this thread also.
Old 07-27-2009 | 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

Hello,

There would be no problem jacking up by the K-member when using a UMI piece. We do design our K-member with extra support in the center which will support this with no issues. Just use a piece of rubber on the jack to prevent chipping the K-member or the jack sliding on the K-member.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!

Ryan

Also were at in Central PA? You are right next to us
Old 07-27-2009 | 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Im down by Harrisburg, so its not to far from you guys. Ive seen your pieces and they definitely look solid. The two cross members make it seem like a good place to jack from. Other makes, like BMR and Spohn, only have a single cross member on them. Would the load be to much on just single cross member?
Old 07-27-2009 | 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

I am sure the single tube would be ok for this... but with the two tubes you have extra support. Also the second tube is lowered to protect the oil pan unlike our competitors design which allows it to hang out. This is a small feature but important on a street car.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 07-27-2009 | 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've always used a 2x4 between the jack and my UMI K-member as a "sacrificial" piece (wood is softer than steel, so it's easier on the paint, and the weight can slightly "sink" into the wood).

As Sam Strano and I discussed after I bought my K-member through him, UMI should have built it with a small jacking pad in the middle!!!!!
Old 07-31-2009 | 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

So from what I have come to understand UMIs K member with the dual tubes should have no problem with jacking. BMR PMed me and said that their single tube model should hold, but they do not recommend it. No word on a anything from Spohn, but with a single tube I think it would be similar to BMRs advice. Just posting up my findings in case any one else needs the info.
Old 08-01-2009 | 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the UMI k member and subframe connectors. I usually just jack the car up by the subframe connectors when I need to get the front end in the air. It's easier to maneuver the jack doing it this way as well.
Old 08-10-2009 | 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
So from what I have come to understand UMIs K member with the dual tubes should have no problem with jacking. BMR PMed me and said that their single tube model should hold, but they do not recommend it.
Interesting. I was never told that I shouldn't jack my car using the UMI K-member .

Quick Reply: Jacking from aftermarket K Member