Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

just finished installing eibach sportline kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Sorry but from that pic I highly doubt a good shock is going to keep you off the stops much.

Think about it thats a prokit, on of the mildest drops, and theyve got about a 1/4 to a 1/2 of travel, youd have to go crazy on the spring rates and compression dampening to keep you off the bumps, at least on the roads out here, and at that point is it really an optimal setup anymore? Doubt it

Im willing to bet if that seriously is a prokit, and not sportlines, that every other lowering spring is just as bad, so at that point is it even an issue.

I mean is hitting the bump stops that horrible anyway, arent they just a suspension travel limiter.

As Ive been taught, they work like a progressive rate spring, although the actual spring rates can be linear, when you get on the stops, its working like a stiffer spring, to prevent additional suspension movement.

I dont know if what im trying to say is getting across but to me it seemed liek that pic was used to show an issue (limited susp travel) and it seemed like people where saying its something exclusive to eibach, but in reality at least it seems like it to me, that'd be an issue on every spring.
The only thing I was saying is that this is one big reason quality shocks are needed with lowering springs. Obviously anything w/ that level of clearance is going to ride like crap. And I don't advocate something so low that doesn't have enough rate either.

And riding the bumpstops isn't good either....if they were a 'spring' as so many claim we would be riding on giant bumpstops instead of coil springs....but guess what....we aren't. It isn't in any form a spring but just a level of compression before you tear parts up. Going back...a quality shock will control how hard and fast you are slamming into bumpstops too which helps if you are indeed on the bumpstops.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what Im talking about though, your talking baout enough rate and good enough shocks, in order to keep that axle off that bumpstop (1/4" to 1/2") you would probably need an incredible amount of rear spring rate and really our rear springs are pretty darn soft what are most of them in the 150-180 range? And a ton of compression dampening, just seems like stayin of the stops on most lowering springs is all but impossible.

Also Ive seen alot of GM trucks that at a static ride height are sitting on their bumostops.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd put an STI wing on my car before I'd put sportlines on it.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Found it in another thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-want-low.html

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And shocks don't stop the car from "bottoming". You will make contact with the bumpstops with G2 springs, my spirngs, or any other spring, including stock. The shocks effect how hard and fast the suspension moves, not how much.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'd put an STI wing on my car before I'd put sportlines on it.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone have input for a spring that actually gives you a decent drop (like the pro kit), but handles well at the same time?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 828ls1formula
i dont understand u people.. it done my car great, maybe im just not use to a "good" handling car but it definatley handles better than stock. btw who gives a **** about handling i just like going from 25-150 really fast in a straight line i didnt buy them for performance just an apperance mod.. u cant argue aginst it makin the car look ten times better
You may be correct. I don't think you know what a "good" handling car feels like.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by |2ocky
Anyone have input for a spring that actually gives you a decent drop (like the pro kit), but handles well at the same time?
KB Hypercoils,
The rear springs are a little too stiff for the ultimate handling, but compared to the LT1 pro-kit I had before the rear KB spring are a noticeable improvement over the pro-kit rear springs. First they don't sag, or bend like the pro-kits end up doing over time. And Second, even though the KB rear spring are stiffer the ride is better then the pro-kit rear springs.
Overall, I would still pick the Strano springs over the KB's.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

ok found out one thing that sucks with sportline... its hard to get the sob on a lift or jack it up to work on it... ill prob be going back stock
Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

^^^^^^^^
plus u cant go anywhere it will f*** up ur exhaust
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

^^^^^^
hell ill jump on the banwagon screw sportline
Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 828ls1formula
ok found out one thing that sucks with sportline... its hard to get the sob on a lift or jack it up to work on it... ill prob be going back stock
Don't do it just for that reason. Drive the car up on some pieces of wood. You can gain an inch or two of clearance for the jack.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, even i have to do that with just an LT1 Pro-Kit
Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I have Stranos with the OEM body kit extension pieces, so I lose another inch. You kinda gotta work it underneath.. I sorta don't care though. I just jam the jack under the body panel pieces, haha. With all the dents I have from people racing me, jamming the jack under doesn't bother me too much.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:01 AM

Honestly these springs have been a problem since day one...Im switching back to oem or hotchkis springs...The ride really sucks even on the freeway, they really are too soft....

Quick Reply: just finished installing eibach sportline kit