Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment question after shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Alignment question after shocks

I just finished installing SLP Bilsteins with stock springs, as well as dropping the k member to replace the oil pan gasket. The car now has heavy steering and feels darty on the road, like it doesn't want to track straight while at speed.

My understanding is that the alignment shouldn't be affected unless lowering the car, so I'm not sure what's causing my problem. Is the k member possibly not aligned correctly? I'm thinking about taking the car to get aligned, but want to make sure my problem isn't due to a mistake on my end.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since no one has any ideas so far, I'll throw something out there, though I doubt it's the cause. Is it possible that these symptoms could be from the sway bar endlinks being too tight? Now that I think about it, I did probably overtighten them.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sway bar endlinks are probably too tight, it's natural to want to do for most folks. As far as alignment after shocks, you don't automatically need it, but probably you do. Unless you made some reference marks and installed the new shocks accordingly, I would recommend an alignment. Why chew up tires and/or not enjoy driving the car?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been given the impression that an alignment is recommended after ANY suspension work, its just a bigger issue if the ride height has been changed.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gun4hire
I've been given the impression that an alignment is recommended after ANY suspension work, its just a bigger issue if the ride height has been changed.
Very true!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the opinions. I'll loosen the endlinks, get an alignment and then see how things feel.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gun4hire
It depends on the suspension work. If you stay at the same ride height and don't touch anything that affects alignment (ie a shock replacement and staying w/ the same springs) its a waste of money to get an alignment.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

No, the shock change should not affect the steering. If I remember right, the end links are supposed to be torqued to 16ftlbs, which is not much.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
It depends on the suspension work. If you stay at the same ride height and don't touch anything that affects alignment (ie a shock replacement and staying w/ the same springs) its a waste of money to get an alignment.

This is what I thought, and I did reuse the stock springs. However, the car has 100K on it, has never had an alignment and the steering feels a little off. I found a local shop to do it for $90 that uses a Hunter Hawkeye. I'll report back Tuesday with the results.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Launching!

I just had shocks and springs installed about a week ago and didn't get an alignment. The car drives straight as hell, steering wheel is straight, car doesn't pull in either direction.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Shocks usually don't affect alignment but it could have been a combination of all the work that was done.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
Shocks usually don't affect alignment but it could have been a combination of all the work that was done.
I agree, however, on a 4th gen car, a lot of disassembly/reassembly is done to get the shocks swapped out. Secondly, you're assuming that the alignment was "OK" before you took it apart.

A lot of people simply assume that because "it drives straight" the alignment is right on. Not necessarily.....
Old 09-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01formula6
I just finished installing SLP Bilsteins with stock springs, as well as dropping the k member to replace the oil pan gasket. The car now has heavy steering and feels darty on the road, like it doesn't want to track straight while at speed.

My understanding is that the alignment shouldn't be affected unless lowering the car, so I'm not sure what's causing my problem. Is the k member possibly not aligned correctly? I'm thinking about taking the car to get aligned, but want to make sure my problem isn't due to a mistake on my end.
Remember, he said he dropped the K member and did suspension work. Now it's darty and nose heavy like the toe in is off or it's got a sh*tload of negative camber, which I doubt. Not tracking at speed is usually the Toe. Seems pretty damn reasonable and common sense to get it aligned. What is going to be diffferent if he doesn't? I doubt very much the sway bar is going to make it "nose heavy". It will really only affect what happens as he turns, not how he turns. If he dropped the K member and R&R a bunch of stuff, (whether same parts or new parts) something is not lined up right. Maybe he put it back together right and the prior alignment was set up for a bad assembly? Who knows? It's worth the money to get it aligned anyways, even to max out the negative camber to make it handle good anyways. Seems like an easy question...get it aligned.
And report back what they find. We all learn that way.

Last edited by Racin'Z28; 09-06-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just picked the car up and in the 1 mile drive back from the shop I can already tell it drives 10x better. Passenger outer tie rod had play and needed to be replaced. I'm sure that was part of my problem, alignment was also off. I'm guessing the alignment was off before I worked on it and just became more noticeable after the install. Here is the printout I received.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment question after shocks-img_0672.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have had the chamber set in a little more just for road handling situations. But if you remove trhe K memeber 99.9% of the time the k member will be sitting kock eye'd when re installing. Yes there are dowel pins but the alignment will be effected. I am glad you had it aligned it was very smart.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01formula6
Just picked the car up and in the 1 mile drive back from the shop I can already tell it drives 10x better. Passenger outer tie rod had play and needed to be replaced. I'm sure that was part of my problem, alignment was also off. I'm guessing the alignment was off before I worked on it and just became more noticeable after the install. Here is the printout I received.
I would agree with RsSean that a little more negative camber would be okay. May a total of -1 degree, maybe -1.5 if you don't do a lot of highway driving.
But, that's a excellent amount of Caster you got out of it. Congrats. Toe in seems right on the money too.

It's gotta feel like a new car.

Quick Reply: Alignment question after shocks