Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Reinforcement of stock LCAs and Panhard Bar worth it, or buy Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinforcement of stock LCAs and Panhard Bar worth it, or buy Aftermarket?

I was wondering if anyone had reinforced their stock LCAs and Panhard bar and replaced the bushings with poly bushings? Weight is not a concern and my T/A is stock ride height.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

thats dumb. buy aftermarket.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the aftermarket LCA & PH are stronger compaired to stockers, i cant say if u need the aftermarket ones or not, that all depends on the way u treat ur car and what futer plans u have in mined.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

I understand that they won't be as strong but my main concern is the flex.
I don't have plans for this car to be high HP but I would like to do a couple bolt-ons and improve performance and especially the handling. As far as driving goes I'm not exactly easy on it.

I also have terrible wheel hop. The car was wrecked and I didn't know till after I bought the car. I think the rear end was knocked out from under it. It had a bent PHB and and mismatched shocks. The rear rotor were drilled and slotted the fronts were stock. My guess is the rear end was replaced. So I replaced both shocks and the PHB this helped very little. The car will even wheel hop at half throttle going around turns.

The stock PHB and LCA's are so flimsy that you can literally twist and bend the bars with your hands. I figured plating PHB and LCAs and taking that flex out of them and replacing the crappy rubber bushings with some poly bushings would be an easy upgrade for the cheap. Basically just reduce any deflection and keep the rear end planted.

I'd maybe have 80 bucks in steel and bushings.

Panhard Bushings
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rear-...Q5fAccessories

LCA Bushings
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Energ...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by BIG_D_74; 10-20-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I remember a post on here one time about a guy that did that to his LCA's and
panhard bar.It's a lot of work but what the heck.If you got the time why not.I would buy aftermarket but it's not my car.Good luck with your project.Post some picks when your done.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mediocrels1
thats dumb.
That's some NorCal hospitality!

You could box your PHB and LCAs. Although I don't know why you would with the aftermarket replacements being relatively cheap.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BIG_D_74
I was wondering if anyone had reinforced their stock LCAs and Panhard bar and replaced the bushings with poly bushings? Weight is not a concern and my T/A is stock ride height.
Hello
I would just suggest getting aftermarket suspension upgrades. Instead of boxing the lowers and pan hard bar in and replacing all of the bushings. Stock replacement parts are very reasonable $ wise. Below is a link to show you what UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...975a6i1ktmbq05

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

if you have lowering springs you may want LCA relocation brackets. My traction was terrible without them, and improved tremendously immediately after installing the UMI bolt-on ones.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

the original post says he's stock height ^^^

anyway, you really can't beat the price of the aftermarket stuff. the bushings are the biggest problem with the stock stuff, and last i checked the local autoparts store wanted $40 EACH for lca bushings(rubber).

now starts the whole what do you want debate. poly/poly is cheapest, but will cause bind under hard cornering(not so much in the phb though). poly/rod is more expensive and can be noisy. rod/rod is louder yet.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

if youre hopping that bad, there is another problem then just stock suspension. something else is wrong. have you ever had a quality, 4 wheel alignment? id do that before touching a part.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
if youre hopping that bad, there is another problem then just stock suspension. something else is wrong. have you ever had a quality, 4 wheel alignment? id do that before touching a part.
Diddo, car shouldn't hop like that. Check your trans. mount also. My car would hop in tight corners if you even looked at the throttle. Turned out the trans. mount was ripped in two but was still catching on the little T hook on there, you'll know what I mean if you take a look at it. Some solid motor mounts and a new GM trans. mount fixed that right up. 4 wheel alignment is a good idea to. I would grab a prybar and check the trans. mount and torque arm mount at the back of the trans first though.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Launching!

look in the "lsx parts for sale" section, there are a couple sets of LCA's and probably a PHB or 2, go aftermarket!

they will look better, perform better, take less time to install, and not look like ****.

Quick Reply: Reinforcement of stock LCAs and Panhard Bar worth it, or buy Aftermarket?