Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thoughts on Mov It brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Mov It brakes

I have some front and rear. To my knowledge i have the only rear set on an F-body in the states. What do you guys think of them. I am not sure many people have heard of them.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a version of the Movit fronts on my F-Body ... that is, Porsche 996TT brakes.

It is a pricey upgrade and I was very skeptical. I probably would have never gone this route had I not found a used kit for sale.

The performance is indescribable. Braking with cars 1/2 the weight of a fully laden Trans AM brings a grin to my face and a scowl to those Miatas, Porsches and M3 owners.

And I am beginning to think the lack of maintenance and expendable costs will be a lot less as well.

I would have spent $300-400 for front rotors and $250-500 on brake pads this year for my C5 conversion. I attended 7 Open Track events.

I bought a set of new pads at $200 and they're about 1/2 done. I bought a set of replacement rotors earlier in the year anticipating the need, but the original rotors are still fine.

So, it appears that the upfront expense of the kit will be offset in a short period of time with reduced maintenance costs.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you do get a new set of rotors have them cyro frozen. it is like 40 bucks and it will make them last 3 times longer.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've heard both sides of Cryo treating ... those that say it prolongs life and those that say it made no difference.

Not sure who to believe ...
Old 12-10-2003, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i am friends with a guy who has some mov it brakes up front and he runs the one lap of america. He has had the same rotors on his SS for 3 years and he road races his car on a regular basis. he was the one that sold me on it. alot of people say that it doesn't help b/c they just use brakes for a couple of laps. If you really are using them constantly for a longer race (over 3 laps usually) then they really start to shine.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I have a version of the Movit fronts on my F-Body ... that is, Porsche 996TT brakes.

It is a pricey upgrade and I was very skeptical. I probably would have never gone this route had I not found a used kit for sale.

The performance is indescribable. Braking with cars 1/2 the weight of a fully laden Trans AM brings a grin to my face and a scowl to those Miatas, Porsches and M3 owners.

And I am beginning to think the lack of maintenance and expendable costs will be a lot less as well.

I would have spent $300-400 for front rotors and $250-500 on brake pads this year for my C5 conversion. I attended 7 Open Track events.

I bought a set of new pads at $200 and they're about 1/2 done. I bought a set of replacement rotors earlier in the year anticipating the need, but the original rotors are still fine.

So, it appears that the upfront expense of the kit will be offset in a short period of time with reduced maintenance costs.
Mitch, how much does the kit run, with the Porsche brakes?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:40 PM
roy
TECH Resident

I run the front and back sets of Movits , and luv them , Since I am American , you can be the second guy who has them on the back . But the cryo job I don't believe in it and neither does Guido or Wolf. The Porsche rotor is probably the best manufacture rotor out there. Were lucky enough that some people have the ingenuity to adapt excelent stuff to our Fbodies.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

link to places who sell these?
Old 12-11-2003, 02:27 AM
roy
TECH Resident

www.movit.de for germany, guido is a big help
look for their distributor page
http://www.ultimategarage.com For america ,Steve is big help
Old 12-11-2003, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Mitch, how much does the kit run, with the Porsche brakes?
My kit came from Prospeed Motorsports, who are no longer selling the kit. It cost about $1800 new.

I am a cheap bastard ... like I stated above, I would have never invested that kind of money simply because I just didn't think it would make THAT much difference.

I made the swap, ran it a few times and then exchanged cars with my nephew who still has the C5 brakes on his Firehawk.

The differences were scarey. I was used to mashing the pedal and the car just stopping. With C5 rotors and Carbotech XP pads, the Hawk just felt like it wouldn't stop. I was mashing the pedal and it's almost like nothing was happening. I thought there was a problem.

My nephew came into the pits afterwards and said he almost put MY car on it's nose with those brakes. So, it wasn't just me ...

Initial cost is a tough pill to swallow ... but it more than pays for itself in reduced maintenance costs and out performs anything else.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:57 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Amen Mitch , I 've been saying tahat for years about them , but like you said it was a hard pill for most folks to swallow. That is until they try them.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

You are still in Germany...So technically i am the only one with the rears. haha. But how do you like your rears. For a while I just had the fronts on because Guido sent me the wrong parking brake caliper. I still think the parking brake caliper is wrong but i am just going to fab up the parking brake cable. I have a '97 so it is a little different than the '98 rear brakes.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know Roy ... and I just never listened ...
Old 12-11-2003, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

turnin lt4 is a hoe..

nice to see u on ls1tech george. <----this guys brakes are sweet
Old 12-11-2003, 10:01 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Mitch you are killing me .LOL

Turnin LT4, actually the rear setups are the same packages for the rear . The two options for the rear were either rear GT2 package with bigger and thicker rotor and big red caliper (also more pricey ) or the 996 Carrera rotor and a monoblok . both are excellent systems . Both are over kill unless people are really tearing it up on the tracks.
I'm glad u like . I'll let Guido and Wolf know also.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

those brakes look really sweet... I wonder how their stopping power compares to wilwoods.. I have a set of wilwoods in my car and drove a friends t/a the other day and was lie WOW, stock brakes suck. anyone who says stock brakes are enough is an idiot.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't call them an idiot ... maybe un-enlightened ...

Stock demension F-Body brakes are quite good for an off the shelf street car. A 12" rotor with dual piston caliper is nothing to scoff at ...
Old 12-12-2003, 06:53 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Stock brakes with different compounds worked great for me for awhile , but it was ultimately , a rotor problem that finally made me upgrade.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

mitch- Weren't you running LG's C5 Brake Conversion on your T/A?

Do you think its worth the extra $1K+ for a Prospeed(no longer)/Movit Kit or even the Stoptech like I mentioned on the other board?

Is it like a night and day difference. Were you using the same type of pads as far as compounds is concerned?

I'll eventually install a bigger brake upgrade I just don't know if its worth the extra money for the bigger set over the C5 kit.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2003, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, I was running the LG C5 conversion package. And it was a nice upgrade over stock becuase of the larger rotor diameter and the stronger caliper.

The PSM/Movit brakes are huge step up. Is it night and day? I guess that is subjective ...

I ran Hawk Blue, Carbotech Panther/Plus/XP in the C5 kit and have been ruinning a Porsche Motorsports Endurance pad (supplied by Prospeed) which is argueably equal to a Pagid Black.

So, yes ... I was running an upgraded, more aggressive pad in bot setups.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Mov It brakes