Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowered the car now it bottoms out.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowered the car now it bottoms out.....

well i did the 1 1/4 drop, more like 2" drop, but what hits when i drive down the road and hit a bump and bam. is it my bump stops???? do i take them out or is it something else? thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

too much for a dd if you remove them you;ll have a little more clearence but you;ll never go over a speed bump and your bound to kill the underside for sure.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMPPDEALER
well i did the 1 1/4 drop, more like 2" drop, but what hits when i drive down the road and hit a bump and bam. is it my bump stops???? do i take them out or is it something else? thanks
What setup do you have? Shocks/Spings?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

what springs did you use? Which shocks?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

i've got $5 on sportlines. explains the more-than-advertised drop and bottoming out issue.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

they are the summit lowering springs. front seems fine.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

That explains it... Well, that and I'm guessing stock shocks too.

Sooner or later folks will get that things that are priced "too well" generally don't work as well as more premium things. But, these days folks are all about what's inexpensive with little regard to how well it works, how long it works, and what it'll cost when you have to replace it....

There is a sign that hangs in my shop that says:

"The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten".

Truer words were never spoken.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That explains it... Well, that and I'm guessing stock shocks too.

Sooner or later folks will get that things that are priced "too well" generally don't work as well as more premium things. But, these days folks are all about what's inexpensive with little regard to how well it works, how long it works, and what it'll cost when you have to replace it....

There is a sign that hangs in my shop that says:

"The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten".

Truer words were never spoken.
((I LOVE MY STRANO 1.2 DROP SETUP))springs and shocks LOL and all the time you spent with me on the phone explaining **** to me about our suspentions and what and what doesnt work. Thanks again Sam and on the other note LOL Your EXACTLY RIGHT! (LOL)You get what you pay for in life This is a fact jack!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

WTF, what is with this cheap springs and daily driver B.S.???

your telling me that eibach springs are junk????

PEOPLE there is nothing wrong with the SPRINGS they are perfect.

you guys must have the stock springs in yet. well let the people with lowered cars help me.

thank you!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

eibachs arent junk, as much they just leave alot to be desired for the LS1 cars. they have a tendency to sag over time, which im sure we can all see why thats bad

you might be hitting your bump stops, id take a look at my axle tubes, if you see a nice shiny spot on them in about the spot your bump stops are then you are in fact hitting them.
if you are, its time to consider a shock that can handle that spring or change springs. id go with koni's since im biased to how awesome they are.
just dont remove your bump stops if you get koni's, it voids the warranty since you can extend the range of motion farther than the shock can go which can damage the shock.. just my 2 pennies
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

WTF, what is with this cheap springs and daily driver B.S.???

your telling me that eibach springs are junk????

you guys must have the stock springs in yet. well let the people with lowered cars help me.

thank you!
So you're obviously not familiar at all with Sam Strano...

Stock springs? ROFL.

There is no magic here dude - the springs don't have enough spring rate and the shocks aren't dampening the load enough to reverse the direction of the load before they compress fully. So get better springs with a higher spring rate. Or get significantly better shocks so that the impact is dampened enough that they have time to resist the load. (IIRC my suspension theory well enough)
Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

now that wasnt hard, thanks that is what i was looking for. just making sure that there wasnt something else that i was missing. i put some shocks on it and try it.

ps, it only does it when my 4 and 6 year old girls are in the back, must be just that little extra weight.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

ps, it only does it when my 4 and 6 year old girls are in the back, must be just that little extra weight.
If that's part of this case, then adequately valved shocks may likely not be able to correct the problem. I don't really want to venture how much weight your children add to the rear of the vehicle when occupied, but what I can say is that if the free spring length and spring rates combination is inadequate to handle the sprung mass being applied to it, one ends up with symptoms like you've described. It all adds up in the end, believe it or not.

You do need good shocks, however shocks cannot resolve a problem with improperly designed or improperly implemented springs.

Eibach products are generally okay, however they seem to continue to screw up spring rate and free spring length combos when it comes to "street aftermarket springs." I know because I've not only operated many of them, but also dynoed them as well.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 11-24-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

so what shocks should i get???
Old 11-26-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

you should get koni's, they're simply the best
Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

thank you!
So did you want tech help from people here, or did you just want a pat on the back?

I would disagree that your springs are perfect. Anything going 2 inches is pretty much on or right on bumpstops. If your going 2 inches lower, then you better have a ton of springrate. I don't think Koni's would fix the issue if your impacting something during compression. I believe that Koni's have less compression damping than many shocks out there. Which is a good thing assuming you have a good springrate.

Your going to have to accept that when you go real low like 2 inches on this car, you're going to have to sacrifice some ride quality to get the looks you prefer.

Quick Reply: lowered the car now it bottoms out.....