Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Bilstein $409.99 shipped

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010 | 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Stock shocks are funny. They ride short, sharp bumps like steel rods.... all the while lacking rebound control which makes for a sort of vague, Cadillac kind of feel at speed. That's what most consider "soft" about the stock shocks--not that they ride well, just soft on the control side.

FWIW, you know how you see folks post how good shocks not only improved handling, but ride too? That's because they address both issues, lack of rebound damping and the terrible impact harshness stock shocks tend to have.
Man you hit the nail on the head. That is exactly how it is. I think I am gonna pull the trigger on some Bilsteins here shortly.
Old 03-07-2010 | 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone go from stock shocks to these without any other mods? I'd like to hear people's impressions of them.
Old 03-07-2010 | 07:49 PM
Teching In

Default eibach pro which shocks

Hey guys, got a question for Sam, would the shocks be alright for Eibach Pro kit without bring too stiff? Or what else would you have that gives a smooth ride?
Old 03-07-2010 | 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Anyone go from stock shocks to these without any other mods? I'd like to hear people's impressions of them.
On my V6 car I had gone from stock to Bilsteins without any other mod suspension mods at the time. They were the original spec Bilstein HDs though. I was very happy with them. Although the valving is a little different in the SLP spec ones, I bet you will still be happy as they are night and day compared to stock shocks. If I didn't want to lower the front of my Formula a little, I might have ordered Bilsteins for it instead of the Koni SAs.
Old 03-07-2010 | 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
On my V6 car I had gone from stock to Bilsteins without any other mod suspension mods at the time. They were the original spec Bilstein HDs though. I was very happy with them. Although the valving is a little different in the SLP spec ones, I bet you will still be happy as they are night and day compared to stock shocks. If I didn't want to lower the front of my Formula a little, I might have ordered Bilsteins for it instead of the Koni SAs.
How are they night and day? Is the ride a lot firmer, or less harsh than stock.

I feel like my car rides very harsh, yet soft at the same time. Sam had a great explanaition of it.

The rear for instance will hit a bump hard, then I can feel the rear end of the car kind of float a little bit before settling down.
Old 03-07-2010 | 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

That is a good observation of his.

The handling is night and day, I would say the ride is different, but not bad.

An example of the difference would be in a corner with a bump in the middle of it. On the stock shocks you can feel the end hop out because the axle isn't controlled correctly. Bilsteins or Konis will fell more planted and it won't seem like the rear of the car jumped sideways 6 inches.

Roll rate is controlled much more precisely so changing directions is less like being in a small boat in choppy waters and more like being in a sports car.

Regarding the ride, stock or Bilstein equipped cars will not be mistaken for Buicks or Lincolns on rough pavement. It will feel firmer on compression, but it won't jar as much on rebound.

All in all even if the ride quality was worse, I would still recommend them because for performance they are so much better than stock. It really is pretty hard to understand until you drive a car with them. Ride quality I think is overall improved slightly, but you will know the bumps are there.
Old 03-10-2010 | 07:49 PM
On The Tree

I'd just like to say thanks to Sam and anyone else who has contributed the great information that's in this thread, it's been really helpful to me.

Sam, expect to see business from me in the near future!
Old 03-11-2010 | 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
That is a good observation of his.

The handling is night and day, I would say the ride is different, but not bad.

An example of the difference would be in a corner with a bump in the middle of it. On the stock shocks you can feel the end hop out because the axle isn't controlled correctly. Bilsteins or Konis will fell more planted and it won't seem like the rear of the car jumped sideways 6 inches.

Roll rate is controlled much more precisely so changing directions is less like being in a small boat in choppy waters and more like being in a sports car.

Regarding the ride, stock or Bilstein equipped cars will not be mistaken for Buicks or Lincolns on rough pavement. It will feel firmer on compression, but it won't jar as much on rebound.

All in all even if the ride quality was worse, I would still recommend them because for performance they are so much better than stock. It really is pretty hard to understand until you drive a car with them. Ride quality I think is overall improved slightly, but you will know the bumps are there.
Thanks for the info! Just the fact that car won't feel like it's skipping sideways ( I know EXACTLY what you're talking about there) is worth the price of admission to me. I'm SOLD!!
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:46 PM
Launching!

Is this sale still going on?
Old 03-20-2010 | 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Here is my bind. I have 2 sets of BMR springs in my garage new I would like to put to use as well as 2 f bodys that would like to use them. I was thinking of going with bilstein for my 96 dd and koni for my 98 t/a. Am I going to be upset that I did not save for 2 sets of konis. I understand the koni car will ride better but how much better is the key for me. On these springs.
Old 03-20-2010 | 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Are these the same shocks that came stock on SLP 4rth gen cars? Or by new design after 2002 design ?
Old 03-21-2010 | 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

new design.
Old 03-22-2010 | 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Just an update... Yes, the deal is still valid, but only a few sets remain available at this price. For those of you who have ordered, we are still waiting for SLP to get the shocks in, so they can be shipped to me, so I can ship them out to you. I haven't lost your orders , just waiting for the supplier to get me the parts.

For those who are looking to order, please do so. You will not be charged until the shocks are ready to ship, and you insure you get the $409.99 shipped price.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-27-2010 | 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Fronts would be $110 each plus shipping.
I was told $135 each for the fronts plus $23 for shipping and I'm a repeat buyer, Can you give'em to me for this price as well or has inflation happened in the past month that I have yet to hear about, lol!
Old 03-29-2010 | 05:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Prices change... There is much less discount on pairs of shocks than the full set.
Old 03-29-2010 | 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Prices change... There is much less discount on pairs of shocks than the full set.
Does it change depending who you are or what? The deal of $409.99 seems to be the same and it hasn't changed. All I know is in Post #105 you offer the FRONTS for $110 and also have read that the fronts are the same regardless if one buy's the HD or the SLP it's just the rears that are a tad bit different which alters the price. I understand it would be benificial of the wallet to buy all four as a set all though not everyone needs all four! I just think if you offer it to one member as being a forum sponsor it should be equal to the rest of the members. Not inflate the price when one drops you a personnal message outside the thread. That's shaddy business.

Last edited by 94BlueZ28; 03-29-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2010 | 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Just got a set of Bil HD's installed on Friday. So far its awesome! Old DeCarbons were shot.
Old 03-31-2010 | 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Ok that's cool the WS6 store offers them for $119/peice, a flat rate of $7.50 and they also offer a 5% military discount, thanks anyways.
Old 04-01-2010 | 10:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah, I'm shady. Meanwhile you are always looking for a deal--remember your swaybars and the deal I made you there? I guess you aren't happy unless you get your way.

And for your information the pricing structure does change, depending on what I have on order, and the fact I held the price on a full set with shipping included despite a pricing change on my end somehow makes me a shady? Ok, then I'm shady. Sheeh.
Old 04-01-2010 | 10:48 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Yeah, I'm shady. Meanwhile you are always looking for a deal--remember your swaybars and the deal I made you there? I guess you aren't happy unless you get your way.

And for your information the pricing structure does change, depending on what I have on order, and the fact I held the price on a full set with shipping included despite a pricing change on my end somehow makes me a shady? Ok, then I'm shady. Sheeh.
Sam - I sometimes wonder how you put up with some of the morons on here and the abuse they hand out.

Thanks for my most recent purchase, the UMI adjustable torque arm! Finally got my rear back together and will be able to test it out over the next few days, along with my Strano springs/Koni setup I got from you.

Quick Reply: SLP Bilstein $409.99 shipped