Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installing lowering springs.lca brackets needed??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing lowering springs.lca brackets needed??

hello all.i just traded my stock springs for some lowering springs.the guy claims they're eibachs but they're powder coated purple.i dont believe eibachs are purple.anyway,im gonna try em with some garden variety monroes from oreillys.my question is..is it necessary to install the relocation brackets when installing lowering springs?or is that just for launch purposes?thanks

1998 trans am all stock for now.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

lowering the vehicle changes the geometry of the LCAs'. The middle hole of the re-lo bracket returns the geometry back,the lower hole enhances launch traction.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

if you have traction/launch problems after lowering then you might give them a try... some people don't need them it just varies from car to car... the good thing about them is that you can still use the factory mounting hole if you want and you will still have the option to use the other 2 holes later on in the future if you need them... i just reread that and realized how perverted it sounds
Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont NEED them. They just help for launching traction
Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

first of all, i would not recommend using lowering springs with stock replacement shocks. do a search and you will see that 90% of the people who do it are not happy. second, i would find out what kind of springs they are before you buy them (purple is probably either intrax or vogtland). third, you know you will need an adjustable panhard bar and alignment to keep everything in alignment after lowering correct? just pointing out that it may be wise to just do it right the first time because install takes a while and alignments aren't free....

the brackets are debatable. if you want optimal handling, you want the lca to sit lower in the front than the rear (to an extent) which most of the time means no brackets needed. for a balance of handling and launching the middle hole is a good choice as they'll sit close to level. some road racers also like the middle for better traction exiting corners. for drag, you want the rear of the lca closer to the ground. see if you have trouble launching after installing and then decide.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Therealcreeper: is absolutely correct! One thing you are going to need for sure is a adjustable pan hard bar to allow you to recenter the rear end back under the vehicle do to it shifts when a vehicle is lowered. And when that time comes and you are having traction issues then install a set of Relocation Brackets to allow you reposition the LCA back to the correct angle. Therefore elimanating wheel hop and regaining all of your traction back that you lost due to the lowering springs. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...gbgi1h8tluht76

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Launching!

well being as cheap as they are,i think i will buy a pair of the re-lo brackets.they will work nicely with the BMR LCAs i aquired on CL today! im so stoked. cant wait to get em on.also got a panhard bar to go with it.powder coated orange.anyway thanks for the advice.which shocks would yall recommend for lowering springs anyway?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Do lca relocation brackets lower the rear end whatsoever or just correct the angle
Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
first of all, i would not recommend using lowering springs with stock replacement shocks. do a search and you will see that 90% of the people who do it are not happy. second, i would find out what kind of springs they are before you buy them (purple is probably either intrax or vogtland). third, you know you will need an adjustable panhard bar and alignment to keep everything in alignment after lowering correct? just pointing out that it may be wise to just do it right the first time because install takes a while and alignments aren't free....

the brackets are debatable. if you want optimal handling, you want the lca to sit lower in the front than the rear (to an extent) which most of the time means no brackets needed. for a balance of handling and launching the middle hole is a good choice as they'll sit close to level. some road racers also like the middle for better traction exiting corners. for drag, you want the rear of the lca closer to the ground. see if you have trouble launching after installing and then decide.
Good to know, I just changed my mind about installing springs.

Quick Reply: installing lowering springs.lca brackets needed??