Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni / Strano setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni / Strano setup questions

Hey guys, I installed the koni 4/4's and strano springs about a month ago. I had a couple questions/statements about the setup. I have noticed that the passenger rear from ground to fender lip is about 3/4" lower than the driver rear, is this normal? Also I was wondering if you could do the lower perch or hose mod on the front strut assembly? Hopefully Sam sees this to give his input also. thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you got them for Sam their is not much reason to post here, I would just give him a call. When you buy from a good vendor like Sam, the price inculdes certain amount of "support" such as this.

Did you have any weight in the car?
Parked a on a hill?

The other question can be found in search, but I"m most people who do the springs don't use the lower perch mod best I can recall.

I bet you can tell a big difference. Don't forget the sway bars when funds allow.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The lower perch is for stock springs, Using lowering springs on the lower perch isn't recommended by Sam, and most others since it lowers the car an additional 3/4" up front.
You can do it, and some people do, but it's still not recommended.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the replies... I was going to give Sam a call, but it was too late. I will call him tomorrow, just wanted everyone's opinion. As for the state the car was at: the car is the camaro parked in my flat driveway as in my sig. I was thinking maybe the car torques to the passenger rear. I even tried spinning both rear springs to see if it sat differently and it did not help.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sam "Suspension" Strano will have an answer for this, good luck! I took my Strano's out because I was having clearance issues with the Exhaust and I will contacting him soon asking for tips, I am just waiting cause I want to powder coat them, and am also saving for his sway bars
Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

mine sits abut 1cm higher on the driver side... the front is dead even and the passenger rear looks better than the driver rear in relation to the front... i might try doing the hose mod on the driver side only to see if that will level it out... has anyone ever tried cutting any of the material out of that stock rubber piece that sits on top of the rear springs??... it seems like you could get the same results as the hose mod but you would have more control on how much you wanted to lower determining on how much material you cut out... not sure if that would work or not
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1cm does not seem bad at all, but 3/4" does seem excessive right?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01Blk*SS*
1cm does not seem bad at all, but 3/4" does seem excessive right?
yeah. seems like you may not have gotten the spring in the rear isolator properly?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

it doesn't seem too excessive from what i've gathered on here... some people have claimed 2" or more difference but there is no telling if that has to do with improper installation of parts or the car was previously wrecked, etc... i think if you did the hose mod on one side it would get it pretty close to being even, if not spot on
Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

i've got about 1/2" difference in mine. after many conversations with sam about it, we have narrowed it down to poor quality control at gm. it seems that the spring mounts are just different from side to side and car to car.

not sure how your install went, but you could check to make sure you're springs are properly seated in the isolators, and the tails on the bottom of the springs are pointing in the same direction.

and i'm sure sam will give you plenty of other things to check.

tony
Old 04-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe just maybe, it's because you have a spare tire and a jack on the rear passenger side of the car that's why it sits lower. Mine was like that initially w/ my DMS springs/koni set up and it eventually even out.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:06 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bene
Maybe just maybe, it's because you have a spare tire and a jack on the rear passenger side of the car that's why it sits lower. Mine was like that initially w/ my DMS springs/koni set up and it eventually even out.
with those same springs in my car it was dead even side-to-side. when I changed springs and shocks the drivers side is slightly higher now. about 1/2 inch. with the DMS springs I was able the change the rear height slightly by rotating the rear springs.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by pjb
with those same springs in my car it was dead even side-to-side. when I changed springs and shocks the drivers side is slightly higher now. about 1/2 inch. with the DMS springs I was able the change the rear height slightly by rotating the rear springs.
It's even on both side now.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:43 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

kinda wish I still had those springs.
I hope you are liking them!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bene
no spare tire or jack haha, good call tho! im thinking i might have to do the hose mod on the higher side. Im almost positive the isolators are in the correct position. Ill take a look tho!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by pjb
kinda wish I still had those springs.
I hope you are liking them!
LOL. Like them...? I love them, man. I can't stop staring at my car. I love the new stance.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

you ever figure this out? what actually is the proper direction of the isolators to the body. I had them out so long I forgot what the position they should be in.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

never tried to fix this problem because I blew my rear and am getting a new one. Hopefully it was just a bent perch and the new rear end sits even. you can see what side of the isolator has a groove for the spiral in the spring.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
it doesn't seem too excessive from what i've gathered on here... some people have claimed 2" or more difference but there is no telling if that has to do with improper installation of parts or the car was previously wrecked, etc... i think if you did the hose mod on one side it would get it pretty close to being even, if not spot on
Two inches?

Really?

Quick Reply: Koni / Strano setup questions