Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brembo Blanks-Who's got 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo Blanks-Who's got 'em?

I found a website that currently has brembo blanks for 49.95 a piece! I'd like to know if they come with some sort of a protection coating on them to resist rust somewhat or are they just like the OEM ones?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ask sam strano. hes a sponsor.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Striker
I found a website that currently has brembo blanks for 49.95 a piece! I'd like to know if they come with some sort of a protection coating on them to resist rust somewhat or are they just like the OEM ones?

Thanks
I got a set of Brembo OEM rotors on my car. The center flange is non coated, and they oxidized quickly. I'm sure they would be easy to paint with a little prep work. POR 15 might be a good option.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZigZagZ
I got a set of Brembo OEM rotors on my car. The center flange is non coated, and they oxidized quickly. I'm sure they would be easy to paint with a little prep work. POR 15 might be a good option.
I've got OEM rotors from 1999 that came with the car and aren't rusting yet. Is it the same type of coating as the original stuff or is there absolutely nothing at all?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Striker
I've got OEM rotors from 1999 that came with the car and aren't rusting yet. Is it the same type of coating as the original stuff or is there absolutely nothing at all?
I replaced my original rotors late last year with a set of Brembo blanks. I believe they are called Brembo "OEM's", and are basically a stock replacement. The rotors did have a thin coating of protective oil on them, but this has to be removed so you don't contaminate your brake pads. The center section is raw cast iron.

Last edited by ZigZagZ; 05-02-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-03-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZigZagZ
I replaced my original rotors late last year with a set of Brembo blanks. I believe they are called Brembo "OEM's", and are basically a stock replacement. The rotors did have a thin coating of protective oil on them, but this has to be removed so you don't contaminate your brake pads. The center section is raw cast iron.
Ok thanks man. I might pass on them if that's the case. I did find some ebc blanks that claim to have some sort of a coating on them....
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Brembo blanks never have a protective coating beyond the typical greasy stuff you need to remove before installation. And fwiw, Brembo's aren't the same now as they were say 5 years ago.... they keep moving "production" around to save money. The rotors they make now aren't the same as what they had then.

The changes to the rotors, the lack of coating, etc. are all reasons I've moved more and more to the ATE PremiumOne rotors. They are coated to prevent rust (and it works amazingly well). And they are a very high quality rotor, and they don't cost a million bucks either. Fronts are $78 each, rears are $99. A full set is $354.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Brembo blanks never have a protective coating beyond the typical greasy stuff you need to remove before installation. And fwiw, Brembo's aren't the same now as they were say 5 years ago.... they keep moving "production" around to save money. The rotors they make now aren't the same as what they had then.

The changes to the rotors, the lack of coating, etc. are all reasons I've moved more and more to the ATE PremiumOne rotors. They are coated to prevent rust (and it works amazingly well). And they are a very high quality rotor, and they don't cost a million bucks either. Fronts are $78 each, rears are $99. A full set is $354.
That would be great if I were replacing all four, but i'm not. I need blanks up front to match the oe rear's.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd recommend Napa Ultra Premium. They're not too expensive, and I've had really good luck with mine, very solid!

Quick Reply: Brembo Blanks-Who's got 'em?